User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default What should I major in?

I know, you're thinking to yourself, "Why would she leave such an important question for the Internet to answer?"

Well, the truth is I've had about maybe six years to choose what I've wanted to major in and I still haven't decided. (If you're wondering where I got that number from, I'm going back to high school and counting some of those years.)

The rub is I'm not good at anything nor interested in anything, so I can't pick what I should do. Money is a bit of an object, but other than that, I'm open to any suggestion. What, if any, advice do you have for a person like me? I've tried hunting down my passion but haven't been able to find it, and I'm on kind of a time crunch because of some of my past decisions.

(And yes, I'm somewhat prepared for the sarcastic or "upfront" comments that might ensue as a result of creating this thread.)

Thank you if you respond.

If you believe you aeren't good at anything, what can I say to that? I mean, I find it hard to believe but you pretty much shut yourself out from any possibility of improving yourself with such negativity.

I don't know you, but everyone is good at something. Usually more than they think. I used to think I wasn't good at anything, when I was like 16, and back then I got nothing done. Now I think I can do alot of things and actually do those things. Which side of me was deluded? I'll let you figure that out.

Point is, it doesn't matter what you major in. I would suggest trying something rather than wasting your time pondering what the best chocie is, since you don't have the answer, and neither does anyone here.

I'm not trying to be harsh sounding in how I come off btw, just think about what I said. Hope it helps.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by awbro View Post
    I know, you're thinking to yourself, "Why would she leave such an important question for the Internet to answer?"

Well, the truth is I've had about maybe six years to choose what I've wanted to major in and I still haven't decided. (If you're wondering where I got that number from, I'm going back to high school and counting some of those years.)

The rub is I'm not good at anything nor interested in anything, so I can't pick what I should do. Money is a bit of an object, but other than that, I'm open to any suggestion. What, if any, advice do you have for a person like me? I've tried hunting down my passion but haven't been able to find it, and I'm on kind of a time crunch because of some of my past decisions.

(And yes, I'm somewhat prepared for the sarcastic or "upfront" comments that might ensue as a result of creating this thread.)

Thank you if you respond.
    Well, I have a test for you to take. It won't give you an exact answer, but it will help me narrow my advice a little bit. It sounds like you have maybe a little depression, which I also have. This means you likely WON'T EVER find something you love, so what you want to look for is something you don't hate and that makes a stable living. With the rise of automation, you will also want to do something that is hard for a machine to do. We are not born with passions. We work, and if we are lucky, we become passionate about it. All you can really hope for in this world is a steady check, a roof over your head, financial independence, and a Roth IRA.

Take this test: Free Career Test Based on Holland Codes | RIASEC Occupational Interest Inventory

Copy and paste the ENTIRE results page below, but please put [ Spoiler ] at the start of the post and [/ Spoiler ] at the end of the post. Removing the space before and after the [, ], and / symbols will neaten the post, as well as test your ability to follow directions.

Also, mention me outside of the spoiler by typing @ then The Wailing Specter
    Likes Luminous, highlander, biohazard liked this post

Clean Slate

SUPPOSING you're really not good at anything nor interested in anything, consider other questions:

What are your job priorities? Independence? Money? Working in an office? At home? In a group?
    What do you find easy?
    What things would you certainly NOT do?
    And others you may find important.

I had the opposite problem, I liked like 20 different careers. I made myself questions, established my priorities and made myself a Venn diagram with my 20 careers. Narrowed it down to 3. I started studying two, then I changed the first for the second and now I'm as happy as can be. Sometimes it's not about the profession, but about knowing yourself and knowing what would make you happy in the future. For example, I'd dread to go to an office or wear a uniform or having bosses. I like to create things, I like art and design, I don't care about money, having just enough to get by is ok with me. I don't like being a boss or teaching, etc. That way I was able to establish careers (jobs) that suited what I knew I was going to be able to cope with in the future.

Hope it helps!
    Likes biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ

@Typh0n: Yeah, I didn't figure anyone would know specifically what I should do, but maybe could give me general advice.

@The Wailing Specter: I can never get @s to work right. But here's the results:

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

@CitizenErased: Thanks for the help! I even have trouble pinpointing what I find easy because I can barely roll myself out of bed in the morning to do my job, which is supposed to be easy but I find difficult.
    Likes CitizenErased liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

@awbro Your holland code is ARS, or maybe just AR since your social score was moderate. What is good about you is you only had high scores in 2-3 areas, so you will be relatively easier to work with. Based on your results, I predict enjoy creating tangible objects people can enjoy. I'm thinking you may benefit from getting a major in fine arts with a double minor in psychology and business. That said, before I submit that as my final answer, I'd like to direct you to O*Net online, as it will give you a list of careers associated with your declared interests.

Interests: Artistic, Realistic, Social

Since your "Social" score was only medium, you may also want to try:

Interests: Artistic, Realistic

You also seem to suffer from a low grade of depression. Don't make the mistake meds and therapy will work right away. I used to take meds and do therapy but get frustrated when I was still depressed a month later. Unlike most mood disorders, it can take 6 months or longer of aggressive treatment with therapy and meds before the fog lifts. Make an appointment with your general physician, and ask about medication and a reccomendation to a good psychiatrist or clinical social worker. In addition, cardio is great for depression, so if you do some cardio every morning for 15-30 minutes, you might get some joy back in your life. Note that with depression and anxiety, you will be prone to second-guessing yourself while in school. As school is expensive, stick with the degree you start with and try to get through as quickly as possible. You want to be able to pay off your debt.

How much debt do you hold currently, if any?
    Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Wailing Specter View Post
    @awbro Your holland code is ARS, or maybe just AR since your social score was moderate. What is good about you is you only had high scores in 2-3 areas, so you will be relatively easier to work with. Based on your results, I predict enjoy creating tangible objects people can enjoy. I'm thinking you may benefit from getting a major in fine arts with a double minor in psychology and business. That said, before I submit that as my final answer, I'd like to direct you to O*Net online, as it will give you a list of careers associated with your declared interests.

Interests: Artistic, Realistic, Social

You also seem to suffer from a low grade of depression. Don't make the mistake meds and therapy will work right away. I used to take meds and do therapy but get frustrated when I was still depressed a month later. Unlike most mood disorders, it can take 6 months or longer of aggressive treatment with therapy and meds before the fog lifts. Make an appointment with your general physician, and ask about medication and a reccomendation to a good psychiatrist or clinical social worker. In addition, cardio is great for depression, so if you do some cardio every morning for 15-30 minutes, you might get some joy back in your life. Note that with depression and anxiety, you will be prone to second-guessing yourself while in school. As school is expensive, stick with the degree you start with and try to get through as quickly as possible. You want to be able to pay off your debt.

How much debt do you hold currently, if any?
    Fine arts, huh? I'll have to think about it. I may have scored high on that, but the truth is I am not good with that type of thing at all. Thank you for the analysis.

I have a few thousand dollars in debt from the time I messed up my freshman year of college. I need to pay it off because every month they add two hundred dollars to the till. Other than that, nothing.
    Likes Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

Major should depend on what kind of job you want to do. When in doubt, major in education. That'll give you more time to think and you'll basically have a guaranteed job.

And I guess it's inflation, but damn it's hard to value my two cents
    As a kid I was idolizing millionaires and all the presidents

- Left at London

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Fine arts, huh? I'll have to think about it. I may have scored high on that, but the truth is I am not good with that type of thing at all. Thank you for the analysis.

I have a few thousand dollars in debt from the time I messed up my freshman year of college. I need to pay it off because every month they add two hundred dollars to the till. Other than that, nothing.
    If you want, you could also do trade school for cooking. Beware, however, the good-paying chef jobs are fiercely competitive:
    35-2013.00 - Cooks, Private Household

MBTI
    INFJ

I know, you're thinking to yourself, "Why would she leave such an important question for the Internet to answer?" Well, the truth is I've had about maybe six years to choose what I've wanted to major in and I still haven't decided. (If you're wondering where I got that number from, I'm going back to high school and counting some of those years.) The rub is I'm not good at anything nor interested in anything, so I can't pick what I should do. Money is a bit of an object, but other than that, I'm open to any suggestion. What, if any, advice do you have for a person like me? I've tried hunting down my passion but haven't been able to find it, and I'm on kind of a time crunch because of some of my past decisions. (And yes, I'm somewhat prepared for the sarcastic or "upfront" comments that might ensue as a result of creating this thread.) Thank you if you respond.
    Not interested in anything? This is not normal, you are either exaggerating or being dead serious. If you really are not interested in anything I suggest looking up the diagnostic criteria for depression and getting help asap. I mean if you're not interested in anything then what do you do all day? Nothing?
    Not good at anything? Not possible. Think back. What comes naturally to you? Of the subjects in high school, which did you feel was more natural for you? You have to do lots of introspection here.
    Once you've found your interest and what you're good at you can look at matching majors. You should also check what type of career these majors can get you and also consider personal requirements you would have in a career.
    Likes Luminous liked this post