User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 69

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Are you good at math? Try physics, computer science, or mathematics. A PhD or even master's in that can lead to a job as a quant (who works with complicated financial mathematical models, earns 200 thousand to 250 thousand dollars a year). If "useless liberal arts" is your concern, even history is useful, I heard from my econ professor that liberal arts majors such as philosophy or history are highly valued in the tech industry due to their critical thinking skills and are trained programming on the job (though it helps to know beforehand i imagine). They can also work in a variety of other industries that require critical thinking, just google what alumni have done and what types of jobs you can get. If you want to make an impact on multiple disciplines, economics helps. My econ professor says (and this is true, based on my research) economists are part mathematician, part statistician, part philosopher, part political scientist, etc. Put you have to go into academia to be a jack of all trades, but econ as an undergrad is also useful for those who enjoy systems thinking. If you enjoy how things work, chemistry could work, I read the job market is improving. If youre good at math, but only want an undergrad, try actuarial science. Lucrative field where you do math risk management for insurance companies, its a low stress job, especially for introverts, although it does require you to be really good at math and pass a series of exams for 5-10 years to become a permanent member, but most employers allow some time during work to study for exams. If you enjoying helping people, try social work. (not psychology, that usually requires more degrees to get a job than social work, but if you truly love the subject of the human mind and are ready for grad school, try psychology).
    EDIT: (EDIT ALERT!!!!!!!) I see youre an ISTJ. I guess accounting? I dunno, that definitely seems to be a field where ISTJs can thrive.

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    I’m confused with the whole butler thing. Don’t you live with the family you serve? What do you do with the money? Don’t you work like pretty much everyday?

    I’d like to get some misconceptions out right now.

    even if I did get paid 6 figures, I’d feel small and inferior with such a profession

  3. #23
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    32,609

    Default

    you can go to college
    you can type coherently
    you can probably speak
    you can eat food without a tube probably
    trust me if you were bad at everything you'd be a non-verbal low intelligence person and would not be on a typology forum.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    310

    Default

    I wrote an edit on one of my answers, but im not sure if you saw it. youre an istj, i see now, so why not try accounting? also, check these out:

    ISTJ Career Success: Choose the Right Job and Put Your ISTJ Strengths to Work | Truity

  5. #25
    Senior Member awbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you can go to college
    you can type coherently
    you can probably speak
    you can eat food without a tube probably
    trust me if you were bad at everything you'd be a non-verbal low intelligence person and would not be on a typology forum.
    True. My mom always says I should be more grateful for the things I have. (She worked with people with disabilities for about 15 years.) I just want to make the most out of those basic things since I don't seem to be doing much with them. I feel like a waste of space for all the privilege I have. I'd like to change that.

    @Warrior: Thanks for the response! I'm not good at math at all. I'm not completely erm, innumerate as Coriolis would put it but I can't add in my head and in high school was told by my Algebra 2 teacher that I should take the lower class in the coming year because "[I] didn't like it" (read: I sucked). I've tried to better my basic math skills by taking courses on Khan Academy but I just don't have the motivation to do it. Nothing is ever real for me, and that's what I'm concerned about, maybe more than me not being able to contribute to society in a tangible way. I'm immature and one day that will come back to bite me. I need to survive somehow, and if math is the way to do it, so be it - but Lord if I'll learn it by myself unless I'm thrust into a situation where I absolutely need it to live.
    Likes prplchknz, Warrior liked this post

  6. #26
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    32,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awbro View Post
    True. My mom always says I should be more grateful for the things I have. (She worked with people with disabilities for about 15 years.) I just want to make the most out of those basic things since I don't seem to be doing much with them. I feel like a waste of space for all the privilege I have. I'd like to change that.

    @Warrior: Thanks for the response! I'm not good at math at all. I'm not completely erm, innumerate as Coriolis would put it but I can't add in my head and in high school was told by my Algebra 2 teacher that I should take the lower class in the coming year because "[I] didn't like it" (read: I sucked). I've tried to better my basic math skills by taking courses on Khan Academy but I just don't have the motivation to do it. Nothing is ever real for me, and that's what I'm concerned about, maybe more than me not being able to contribute to society in a tangible way. I'm immature and one day that will come back to bite me. I need to survive somehow, and if math is the way to do it, so be it - but Lord if I'll learn it by myself unless I'm thrust into a situation where I absolutely need it to live.
    you also know big words, maybe english? or writing?also sounds like your problem is not ability but motivation. except maybe math which i suck at as well.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #27
    Senior Member awbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you also know big words, maybe english? or writing?also sounds like your problem is not ability but motivation. except maybe math which i suck at as well.
    I'll consider it. Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't do math. One day I hope to find my motivation - it got lost somewhere among the immense forest of potential distractions I have in my life.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

  8. #28

    Default

    Psychology. There’s never a shortage of customers.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes awbro liked this post

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Choosing an academic Major has nothing to do with capability, you should pursue an academic degree based on pure interest. To identify what you are interested in, you should Ask yourself a question what you are interested in that you are willing to spend your time on researching the topics. When You have many questions in the field that you expect you can investigate in the major, you should enroll in the academic major.
    In my opinion, not all academic major is suitable with every types and some academic major is like a soul calling to me.
    However, You should consider taking a vocational degree if you don't really have a particular academic interest.

  10. #30
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,381

    Default

    Off-the-grid hermitry. I'm working on my bachelor's.
    Perpetual mood


    "It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."


    Philip Trussell

    Likes awbro liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What should I major in {UPDATES}
    By Warrior in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2019, 08:24 AM
  2. What Type Should The Protagonist in My Novel Be?
    By spleen in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 02:03 AM
  3. What should I major in?
    By Haphazard in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
  4. Hmmm...what should I put in here?
    By Kiddo in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO