• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Rant] Despite a top 1% SAT score, I'm fucked regarding college admissions

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
Nah, I'm actually thinking of just going to a state school now. UMass Amherst--which I already mentioned several times--actually seems pretty good. Nevertheless, I retook the SAT this morning. I have no idea how well I did.

This was never about prestige, by the way. It's just that I figured a more selective school would have better stuff. Prestige actually disgusts me.

I’m ashamed to admit my SAT scores were abysmal (the math portion at least). I still got into the college I wanted and a lot of that was due to a well thought out essay. After that my dedication to putting forth the work determined my course. I live outside Boston and I’ve heard some good things about UMass Amherst over the years. Boston is a pretty amazing city too. It might be worth a look.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I went to a college fair yesterday, and found a bunch of schools that might be decent. It made me feel calmer, considering that earlier, I was being narrow-mided and thought there were only 2 or 3 decent colleges.

The colleges I took into consideration have 25th-75th percentile SAT ranges of ~1350-~1540, and 25th-75th percentile ACT ranges of ~28-~34, which is fine because I got a 1490 (730 EBRW/760 Math) on the SAT (and I'm retaking in a couple of days). However, this apparently doesn't mean jack shit.

First off, there's obviously the GPA. I have a mediocre GPA of 4.01 weighted. I got straight As Junior year, and being depressed Sophomore year may be an excuse, but I'm probably looking at an A- average for the first semester of Senior year at best; I have no clue how well I'm doing (aside from AB Calculus--which I'm acing--and AP Physics--where I'm praying for a B+) because I've barely even gotten any assignments yet, despite midterm comments coming out today.

And then there are the extracurriculars. I have ZERO extracurriculars, and before someone says "You probably already have extracurriculars. What do you like to do outside of school?", let me say something: ALL I'VE DONE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF HIGH SCHOOL, IS WATCH TV, PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND FUCK AROUND ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT'S IT!!!

That's not all, though. Apparently, there is this "test-optional" bullshit, meaning there's probably now even less weight on SAT/ACT scores. Damn, that is wonderful news! Except it's not. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. If SATs/ACTs didn't exist, my entire application would be "meh." What if the SAT/ACT isn't some horrible life-ruining test, but actually a godsend to some students? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On a somewhat positive note, I heard that Canadian universities, such as McGill and the University of Toronto, basically just look at SAT/ACT and GPA. I'd feel fine living in Canada, so yeah. But my GPA is still shit for their standards :/

TL;DR: Fuck my life.

Hey don't worry, when I applied to colleges last year, I was in a relatively similar situation regarding extracurricular. Be it, my SAT was a bit lower and I tried extracurricular (though stuck with none of them which looks bad on the transcript), but that isn't the end all be all. I guess it depends on what you're planning to go for, but not all colleges are that picky. I'm not sure what scale you're going off of (I guess not the 4.0 scale because you said 4.1 was mediocre... Even on the 5.0 scale though that isn't too bad of a grade.), but regardless... As long as you're not failing school you can still get into a pretty decent college/university, especially if you can write a really convincing college essay. Find yourself extracurricular to do and include them on your transcript.

Lark

I'd like to know a little bit more about what the stress on extra curriculars is, I mean is it about exhibiting a work-life balance type thing?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'm already aware of this; I genuinely know that going to a community college does not ruin your life. I know that Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

I figure that a more selective school has better stuff, though.

Yes but you can't slum your way through life and then expect to be welcomed into those "better" communities. You have to work for that shit.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm already aware of this; I genuinely know that going to a community college does not ruin your life. I know that Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard. I figure that a more selective school has better stuff, though.

More selective and and prestigious schools tend to have better networking opportunities. So, it can be easier to get your foot in the door. The quality of education you get will be relatively equal everywhere. Really, that is the only advantage as far as I am aware. It is more what you do with your education than where it came from. My childhood friend who is a student at Princeton is going to naturally catch more people’s attention based on that fact alone, well and she is absolutely brilliant. I have brains too, I just am not going to have a degree from a prestigious school. A good school, but not nationally well-known.

There is also usually room on apps for explanations. So if your GPA is lower than it would be otherwise because of something like depression (or any other problem), you can decide to disclose that info.
A lot of community colleges are super good with credit transfers though. Many have programs where you can do two years there and then transfer the credits to another school. Then the admission will look less at high school (really as time goes on, it’s just the fact you have a diploma that is important).