• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Software Engineers (Web Developers, etc), what tech company?

Which company would you like to work for?

• eBay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Google

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Digg

• Facebook

• LinkedIn

• VMWare

• Total voters

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
If you had a choice, then at what company would you prefer to work?

Just make a choice.

I'm curious.

ygolo

My termites win
If I were to go back to being a software engineer (and were limited to those choices), I would choose Google, Apple, or VMware.

Those companies still seem like growth companies.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you need a "none of the above" button.

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
I'd prefer the Google one, and Yahoo.

I don't know why, just go on my first instinct.

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
And the thieves go bump in the night.

What do you think about all the layoffs?

Given the economic condition, which one of these places would you know say is a good one to work for?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Given the economic condition, which one of these places would you know say is a good one to work for?

Yahoo and Ebay would be the two least secure in my opinion, as they aren't doing too well, VMWare might be as well. The others are probably all secure I'd think.

ygolo

My termites win
Yahoo and Ebay would be the two least secure in my opinion, as they aren't doing too well, VMWare might be as well. The others are probably all secure I'd think.

I know VMWare's stock hasn't been doing well, but I think they just went IPO near the end of last year--horrible timing.

Also, their technology holds an awful lot of promise--you hear about people running Vista on a Mac using VMWare and having it run better than Vista itself.

Visualization is a very powerful concept, and it has hardware support now.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I know VMWare's stock hasn't been doing well, but I think they just went IPO near the end of last year--horrible timing.

I know that, and I think their software is amazing. (I've used it for 3 years now.). Just I know nothing about their finances other than that their stock has been doing badly, so that's why I said maybe..

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I think I read somewhere that Google has the happiest employees in the country. I could be wrong so doon't quote me on it.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think I read somewhere that Google has the happiest employees in the country. I could be wrong so doon't quote me on it.

If you work for google, you will be treated very well, and paid very well. However, you will also be expected to work hard enough to justify those benefits...it's much more fast-paced/demanding than the typical software dev job, from what I've heard.