123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Academic Sucess Tips

My tips include not getting depressed, font think youre dying from a disease, and having a will to live. If you follow these you will be successful.

What are your tips?

johari
    nohari
    Likes Dreamer, Yama, Frosty liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Just doing your homework everyday and pay attention in class and eat healthily. avoid distractions. turn off your phone or any electronics not necessary.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

During the lesson
    Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be akin to that person. I know I am a contextual learner. If I don't see a practical use for the information, I'm not going to retain it. Ask for clarification, make comparisons, attempt to use the information. There's literally no shame in raising your hand and asking "You mean like before during so and so?" or "It does that even in such and such situation?". Besides that person isn't asking useful questions that further the lesson. They're probably cracking jokes or asking redundant questions because they weren't paying attention. This isn't the same.

Talk about what you learn. Discussion is not only an excellent way to retain information, but you get to hear about interesting perspectives and views too. Usually, it'll lead to cooler conversation as opposed to a simple "Hi". There's an added benefit of gaining enjoyment from what you learn when you do that as well as giving you more skill and wiggle room for possible papers.

Test taking
    Don't leave anything blank. If you're taking a multiple choice test, 25%/20% of getting it right is better odds than 0%. Always try to narrow down your answers before guessing, but even if you can't do that, guess instead of quitting. Plus you get to have fun with it. Don't know what to write for that free response question? Write that you don't know. I've gotten credit for it a few times just because my teachers weren't expecting such honesty and found it funny.

Other
    If you can't, then don't do homework. Dude it's not the end of the world if you can't turn in a homework assignment. Stressing over it helps no one. If you can't finish, then you just can't finish. Just turn it in. Homework is worth 25% max in most classes and one homework assignment in a sea of so many isn't the end. Don't make it a habit, though.

Ask to go to the bathroom if you are starting to get information overload. Much better than putting your head down or freaking out. Plus fresh air.

Sit in the front or in the middle, but not the back. Teachers hunt for shy kids in the back. If you participate enough towards the beginning, they'll never call on you when you don't want to be called on. Shy kids are suckers. Don't be one.

@Littleclaypot, please confirm. Also mentioning @Hard, @StonedPhilosopher, @Jacques Le Paul, @Korvinagor, and @Fay, as they are people who are academically inclined.

I'm not one to take notes or study, so I don't have any advice on that. Would love to see how others take notes, since I find the task super challenging.

And I guess it's inflation, but damn it's hard to value my two cents
    As a kid I was idolizing millionaires and all the presidents

- Left at London
    Likes Dreamer, Korvinagor liked this post

Bismuth's Xmas Gift 🥰 Amethyst Archon's Avatar
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp

Main dos and donts.

Do;

Sit at the front so you are more engaged with the class material.

Get on your teachers and classmates good books so you will have a larger support network.

Ask questions that provoke the class forwards

Have all the supplies and books you need for that class

Be on time as much as possbile

Dont stress about details but focus on understanding.

Donts

Sit near disruptive students

Fall asleep

Use your phone, Nintendo DS, non-class related book or anything that distracts you.
    9w1 7w6 2w3 Pisces Sun-Libra Moon-Libra Rising

💎My Beautiful Bismuth💎
    You are my treasured sweet little daisy, my Queen and most importantly of all my best friend in the whole wide world. I love you so much!
    Likes Loona liked this post

Remember, Humanity. A Radiant Dawn's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    Don't leave anything blank. If you're taking a multiple choice test, 25%/20% of getting it right is better odds than 0%. Always try to narrow down your answers before guessing, but even if you can't do that, guess instead of quitting. Plus you get to have fun with it. Don't know what to write for that free response question? Write that you don't know. I've gotten credit for it a few times just because my teachers weren't expecting such honesty and found it funny.
    To add to this, you only have so much time to take a test. It's usually a good idea to go through it and answer the questions that are easy for you first and foremost. Don't get hung up on a hard problem, come back to it later that way you can focus on it. This isn't even a time consuming process, but it'll at least guarantee that you've done as many problems as you could have before time runs out.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

Today is the beginning, and tomorrow is the beginning of everything else.

March on, life's too grand to let things get you down for long. It's a beautiful place and we're so blessed to be here.

I am a person of fortune and I must seek my fortune.

My blog
    Likes Dreamer, Merced liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

The thing that changed my progress and learning capabilities the most is the understanding that there are truly, SO many ways to take in information and learn. Teachers have it tough. They must attempt to try and teach material to people that are all over the map in how they best comprehend new ideas so they either adapt as best they can to suit these students or the students just sit there struggling scratching their heads why they don't just get it like the other kids. Haha ok, I admit that was just a page torn out from my childhood scrapbook:P

But the realization to me meant that you must understand how YOU best learn and understand things. What works for YOU. What note-taking style, which approaches, work for YOU. Devise a system around that, and shoot, I swear you'll feel like you've just gained 20 IQ points because you'll start picking up new information more efficiently and that'll boost your confidence and self-esteem. Yup...still flipping through the pages of my scrapbook

Cliff notes version: People absorb and retain information differently. Figure out the keys to YOUR learning success, and devise a system around that
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes A Radiant Dawn liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The thing that changed my progress and learning capabilities the most is the understanding that there are truly, SO many ways to take in information and learn. Teachers have it tough. They must attempt to try and teach material to people that are all over the map in how they best comprehend new ideas so they either adapt as best they can to suit these students or the students just sit there struggling scratching their heads why they don't just get it like the other kids. Haha ok, I admit that was just a page torn out from my childhood scrapbook:P

But the realization to me meant that you must understand how YOU best learn and understand things. What works for YOU. What note-taking style, which approaches, work for YOU. Devise a system around that, and shoot, I swear you'll feel like you've just gained 20 IQ points because you'll start picking up new information more efficiently and that'll boost your confidence and self-esteem. Yup...still flipping through the pages of my scrapbook

Cliff notes version: People absorb and retain information differently. Figure out the keys to YOUR learning success, and devise a system around that
    Adding on to this with a widely accepted theory on learning styles.

The Learning Styles
    Visual (spatial):You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding. The occipital lobes at the back of the brain manage the visual sense. Both the occipital and parietal lobes manage spatial orientation.
    Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music. The temporal lobes handle aural content. The right temporal lobe is especially important for music.
    Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing. The temporal and frontal lobes, especially two specialized areas called Broca and Wernicke areas (in the left hemisphere of these two lobes).
    Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch. The cerebellum and the motor cortex (at the back of the frontal lobe) handle much of our physical movement.
    Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems. The parietal lobes, especially the left side, drive our logical thinking.

Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
    Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques. Learning styles group common ways that people learn. Everyone has a mix of learning styles. Some people may find that they have a dominant style of learning, with far less use of the other styles. Others may find that they use different styles in different circumstances. There is no right mix. Nor are your styles fixed. You can develop ability in less dominant styles, as well as further develop styles that you already use well.

Using multiple learning styles and multiple intelligences for learning is a relatively new approach. This approach is one that educators have only recently started to recognize. Traditional schooling used (and continues to use) mainly linguistic and logical teaching methods. It also uses a limited range of learning and teaching techniques. Many schools still rely on classroom and book-based teaching, much repetition, and pressured exams for reinforcement and review. A result is that we often label those who use these learning styles and techniques as bright. Those who use less favored learning styles often find themselves in lower classes, with various not-so-complimentary labels and sometimes lower quality teaching. This can create positive and negative spirals that reinforce the belief that one is "smart" or "dumb".

By recognizing and understanding your own learning styles, you can use techniques better suited to you. This improves the speed and quality of your learning.

- Left at London
    Likes Zeego, Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IxI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    Adding on to this with a widely accepted theory on learning styles.

The Learning Styles
    Visual (spatial):You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding. The occipital lobes at the back of the brain manage the visual sense. Both the occipital and parietal lobes manage spatial orientation.
    Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music. The temporal lobes handle aural content. The right temporal lobe is especially important for music.
    Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing. The temporal and frontal lobes, especially two specialized areas called Broca and Wernicke areas (in the left hemisphere of these two lobes).
    Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch. The cerebellum and the motor cortex (at the back of the frontal lobe) handle much of our physical movement.
    Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems. The parietal lobes, especially the left side, drive our logical thinking.

Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
    Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques. Learning styles group common ways that people learn. Everyone has a mix of learning styles. Some people may find that they have a dominant style of learning, with far less use of the other styles. Others may find that they use different styles in different circumstances. There is no right mix. Nor are your styles fixed. You can develop ability in less dominant styles, as well as further develop styles that you already use well.

Using multiple learning styles and multiple intelligences for learning is a relatively new approach. This approach is one that educators have only recently started to recognize. Traditional schooling used (and continues to use) mainly linguistic and logical teaching methods. It also uses a limited range of learning and teaching techniques. Many schools still rely on classroom and book-based teaching, much repetition, and pressured exams for reinforcement and review. A result is that we often label those who use these learning styles and techniques as bright. Those who use less favored learning styles often find themselves in lower classes, with various not-so-complimentary labels and sometimes lower quality teaching. This can create positive and negative spirals that reinforce the belief that one is "smart" or "dumb".

By recognizing and understanding your own learning styles, you can use techniques better suited to you. This improves the speed and quality of your learning.
    I'm primarily a Visual learner. It would be interesting to see if types are correlated with learning styles in any way.
    INTP
    ILI or IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    I'm primarily a Visual learner. It would be interesting to see if types are correlated with learning styles in any way.
    I imagine the five types would be dependent on perceiving function while the variant of social v solitary be dependent on what judging function you prioritize.

- Left at London
    Likes Dreamer, Zeego liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Merced, all I know is that I'm solitary and auditory. I have been trying to get more visual lately, and it really helps, but is not natural.

johari
    nohari