• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Academic Sucess Tips

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My tips include not getting depressed, font think youre dying from a disease, and having a will to live. If you follow these you will be successful.

What are your tips?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just doing your homework everyday and pay attention in class and eat healthily. avoid distractions. turn off your phone or any electronics not necessary.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
During the lesson
Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be akin to that person. I know I am a contextual learner. If I don't see a practical use for the information, I'm not going to retain it. Ask for clarification, make comparisons, attempt to use the information. There's literally no shame in raising your hand and asking "You mean like before during so and so?" or "It does that even in such and such situation?". Besides that person isn't asking useful questions that further the lesson. They're probably cracking jokes or asking redundant questions because they weren't paying attention. This isn't the same.

Talk about what you learn. Discussion is not only an excellent way to retain information, but you get to hear about interesting perspectives and views too. Usually, it'll lead to cooler conversation as opposed to a simple "Hi". There's an added benefit of gaining enjoyment from what you learn when you do that as well as giving you more skill and wiggle room for possible papers.

Test taking
Don't leave anything blank. If you're taking a multiple choice test, 25%/20% of getting it right is better odds than 0%. Always try to narrow down your answers before guessing, but even if you can't do that, guess instead of quitting. Plus you get to have fun with it. Don't know what to write for that free response question? Write that you don't know. I've gotten credit for it a few times just because my teachers weren't expecting such honesty and found it funny.

Other
If you can't, then don't do homework. Dude it's not the end of the world if you can't turn in a homework assignment. Stressing over it helps no one. If you can't finish, then you just can't finish. Just turn it in. Homework is worth 25% max in most classes and one homework assignment in a sea of so many isn't the end. Don't make it a habit, though.

Ask to go to the bathroom if you are starting to get information overload. Much better than putting your head down or freaking out. Plus fresh air.

Sit in the front or in the middle, but not the back. Teachers hunt for shy kids in the back. If you participate enough towards the beginning, they'll never call on you when you don't want to be called on. Shy kids are suckers. Don't be one.

@Littleclaypot, please confirm. Also mentioning @Hard, @StonedPhilosopher, @Jacques Le Paul, @Korvinagor, and @Fay, as they are people who are academically inclined.

I'm not one to take notes or study, so I don't have any advice on that. :shrug: Would love to see how others take notes, since I find the task super challenging.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Main dos and donts.

Do;

Sit at the front so you are more engaged with the class material.

Get on your teachers and classmates good books so you will have a larger support network.

Ask questions that provoke the class forwards

Have all the supplies and books you need for that class

Be on time as much as possbile

Dont stress about details but focus on understanding.

Donts

Sit near disruptive students

Fall asleep

Use your phone, Nintendo DS, non-class related book or anything that distracts you.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't leave anything blank. If you're taking a multiple choice test, 25%/20% of getting it right is better odds than 0%. Always try to narrow down your answers before guessing, but even if you can't do that, guess instead of quitting. Plus you get to have fun with it. Don't know what to write for that free response question? Write that you don't know. I've gotten credit for it a few times just because my teachers weren't expecting such honesty and found it funny.

To add to this, you only have so much time to take a test. It's usually a good idea to go through it and answer the questions that are easy for you first and foremost. Don't get hung up on a hard problem, come back to it later that way you can focus on it. This isn't even a time consuming process, but it'll at least guarantee that you've done as many problems as you could have before time runs out.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The thing that changed my progress and learning capabilities the most is the understanding that there are truly, SO many ways to take in information and learn. Teachers have it tough. They must attempt to try and teach material to people that are all over the map in how they best comprehend new ideas so they either adapt as best they can to suit these students or the students just sit there struggling scratching their heads why they don't just get it like the other kids. Haha ok, I admit that was just a page torn out from my childhood scrapbook:p

But the realization to me meant that you must understand how YOU best learn and understand things. What works for YOU. What note-taking style, which approaches, work for YOU. Devise a system around that, and shoot, I swear you'll feel like you've just gained 20 IQ points because you'll start picking up new information more efficiently and that'll boost your confidence and self-esteem. Yup...still flipping through the pages of my scrapbook :blush:

Cliff notes version: People absorb and retain information differently. Figure out the keys to YOUR learning success, and devise a system around that

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The thing that changed my progress and learning capabilities the most is the understanding that there are truly, SO many ways to take in information and learn. Teachers have it tough. They must attempt to try and teach material to people that are all over the map in how they best comprehend new ideas so they either adapt as best they can to suit these students or the students just sit there struggling scratching their heads why they don't just get it like the other kids. Haha ok, I admit that was just a page torn out from my childhood scrapbook:p

But the realization to me meant that you must understand how YOU best learn and understand things. What works for YOU. What note-taking style, which approaches, work for YOU. Devise a system around that, and shoot, I swear you'll feel like you've just gained 20 IQ points because you'll start picking up new information more efficiently and that'll boost your confidence and self-esteem. Yup...still flipping through the pages of my scrapbook :blush:

Cliff notes version: People absorb and retain information differently. Figure out the keys to YOUR learning success, and devise a system around that

Adding on to this with a widely accepted theory on learning styles.

memstyles.jpg

The Learning Styles
Visual (spatial):You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding. The occipital lobes at the back of the brain manage the visual sense. Both the occipital and parietal lobes manage spatial orientation.
Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music. The temporal lobes handle aural content. The right temporal lobe is especially important for music.
Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing. The temporal and frontal lobes, especially two specialized areas called Broca and Wernicke areas (in the left hemisphere of these two lobes).
Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch. The cerebellum and the motor cortex (at the back of the frontal lobe) handle much of our physical movement.
Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems. The parietal lobes, especially the left side, drive our logical thinking.

Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques. Learning styles group common ways that people learn. Everyone has a mix of learning styles. Some people may find that they have a dominant style of learning, with far less use of the other styles. Others may find that they use different styles in different circumstances. There is no right mix. Nor are your styles fixed. You can develop ability in less dominant styles, as well as further develop styles that you already use well.

Using multiple learning styles and multiple intelligences for learning is a relatively new approach. This approach is one that educators have only recently started to recognize. Traditional schooling used (and continues to use) mainly linguistic and logical teaching methods. It also uses a limited range of learning and teaching techniques. Many schools still rely on classroom and book-based teaching, much repetition, and pressured exams for reinforcement and review. A result is that we often label those who use these learning styles and techniques as bright. Those who use less favored learning styles often find themselves in lower classes, with various not-so-complimentary labels and sometimes lower quality teaching. This can create positive and negative spirals that reinforce the belief that one is "smart" or "dumb".

By recognizing and understanding your own learning styles, you can use techniques better suited to you. This improves the speed and quality of your learning.
(Source)​

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Adding on to this with a widely accepted theory on learning styles.

memstyles.jpg

The Learning Styles
Visual (spatial):You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding. The occipital lobes at the back of the brain manage the visual sense. Both the occipital and parietal lobes manage spatial orientation.
Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music. The temporal lobes handle aural content. The right temporal lobe is especially important for music.
Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing. The temporal and frontal lobes, especially two specialized areas called Broca and Wernicke areas (in the left hemisphere of these two lobes).
Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch. The cerebellum and the motor cortex (at the back of the frontal lobe) handle much of our physical movement.
Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems. The parietal lobes, especially the left side, drive our logical thinking.

Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques. Learning styles group common ways that people learn. Everyone has a mix of learning styles. Some people may find that they have a dominant style of learning, with far less use of the other styles. Others may find that they use different styles in different circumstances. There is no right mix. Nor are your styles fixed. You can develop ability in less dominant styles, as well as further develop styles that you already use well.

Using multiple learning styles and multiple intelligences for learning is a relatively new approach. This approach is one that educators have only recently started to recognize. Traditional schooling used (and continues to use) mainly linguistic and logical teaching methods. It also uses a limited range of learning and teaching techniques. Many schools still rely on classroom and book-based teaching, much repetition, and pressured exams for reinforcement and review. A result is that we often label those who use these learning styles and techniques as bright. Those who use less favored learning styles often find themselves in lower classes, with various not-so-complimentary labels and sometimes lower quality teaching. This can create positive and negative spirals that reinforce the belief that one is "smart" or "dumb".

By recognizing and understanding your own learning styles, you can use techniques better suited to you. This improves the speed and quality of your learning.
(Source)​

I'm primarily a Visual learner. It would be interesting to see if types are correlated with learning styles in any way.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm primarily a Visual learner. It would be interesting to see if types are correlated with learning styles in any way.

I imagine the five types would be dependent on perceiving function while the variant of social v solitary be dependent on what judging function you prioritize.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION], all I know is that I'm solitary and auditory. I have been trying to get more visual lately, and it really helps, but is not natural.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure if my advice will be really helpful. The first question from me would be... what do you study? Is it something you really enjoy? I wasn't a good student at elementary school, middle school and even high school tbh. I had to work hard to get to the uni and to errase my bad reputation. I've always been good at subjects that really interested me so as soon as I got to uni and studied stuff I really cared about, I was quite good. But that depends on the person as well, what is your motivation.

When it comes to things I really enjoy, I do most of the reasearch and study myself so I had to do minumum work during the classes. I have to find out my own system for studuying and learning, rules don't really work for me unless I create them. I usually study independly according to how I feel comfortable. I guess that's why I wasn't a good student until the uni, because it allowed me much more freedom and independce than highschool.

My only advice really would be follow whatever feels right to you, but I know that not everyone can do that. There are people who actually need rules to function and I don't blame them, I guess it's natural.
So just...follow yourself.

LOL sorry, this sucks.

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
I'm not academically inclined, I just want to get a really high SAT/ACT score so I can get into a decent university with my 4.01 weighted GPA and zero extracurriculars :p

blob

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
i study 5 minutes before the test and just dump it on the exam sheet. Most of my studying is done during the lecture, while the info is still fresh

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not one to take notes or study, so I don't have any advice on that. :shrug: Would love to see how others take notes, since I find the task super challenging.
Lots of good advice in Merced's posts, and others as well. How to take notes and study depends on the subject, as well as on the student. Math and science classes are very focused on problem solving. Often the main content is readily available in textbooks (the assigned one and others) and websites. Listen for tips and tricks the instructor gives in class - things that go beyond the textbook and come from their experience. The best way to study is to practice. Reviewing problems the instructor did in class, or those in the book, is helpful but there is no substitute for working through new problems on your own. Do the homework faithfully. Attend recitation section and ask questions. Go to office hours if you still don't understand. Find a study group. These last three apply to any class: study groups, office hours, and recitation if offered.

For courses that aren't mostly problem-based, don't get too lost in the weeds when notetaking. You can probably find all those details in your textbook or other assigned reading. Try to capture the big picture - how it all fits together, what the details mean, which parts are more important. This is where the quality of the instructor will come into play. I find it very hard to take coherent notes when listening to a disorganized instructor.

Some general notes:
  • Don't fall behind. At the first sign of trouble - whether low grades, or the sense that you just aren't understanding the material - see your instructor. They are there to help. You might be surprised how few students go to office hours. I actually added a picture of the Maytag Repairman to one of my slide sets earlier this semester.
  • Do find a study group. Yes, I said that above, but it bears repeating.
  • Don't put large assignments like term papers or research projects off to the last minute. Make a plan that breaks them down into manageable pieces, a schedule for tacking the pieces, and stick to it.
  • Figure out how your study week fits together, and prioritize your work so you can budget your time accordingly such that assignments are finished in time. If you have a big problem set due tomorrow, it is fine to ignore everything else and finish it, as long as the rest isn't due tomorrow as well.
  • On problem-type exams, read over all the problems, and start with the ones where the solution seems obvious. Then you won't run out of time to answer these if you get stuck on a particularly tricky problem.
  • On exams that require essay or extended text responses: take a small but significant fraction of the time to think about the question and sketch out your answer, ideally in outline form, before starting to write. It might feel like a waste of time, but will enable the response to fall into place more quickly and seamlessly with less need to edit/rewrite than if you just start writing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Treat doing homework and studying like an 8 to 6 job. You have to work hard. Then you can go play basketball of do whatever you want at night or on weekends. The biggest challenge is procrastination.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sit up front, and take cogent notes.
When you get home everyday actually read those notes you took.
Read your syllabus, and go through each one and put due dates in your calendar.. I suggest using your phone for this so it will alert you a few days before.
Show up to class, and don't procrastinate.

hav

MBTI Type
INTJ
Stop complaining! I hear people complaining about how hard study is, and how little they know, almost every day. Eventually it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and then they blame the lecturers for their own failure. Take responsibility and admit it when you know nothing, and don't be afraid to ask the dumbest of questions, no matter how you will be regarded. Only then will you be able to truly develop and learn, unlike those who seemingly have lots of knowledge, yet takes everything for granted, hence hindering their own progress. Remember: you study to learn, otherwise it would be pointless. Motivation is also an important factor. If you're not driven to learn and develop you might as well forget about it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Treat doing homework and studying like an 8 to 6 job. You have to work hard. Then you can go play basketball of do whatever you want at night or on weekends. The biggest challenge is procrastination.
Doesn't work if you are a night owl. My prime studying/writing hours in grad school were 9:00 pm - 2:00 am.

á´…eparted

passages
Doesn't work if you are a night owl. My prime studying/writing hours in grad school were 9:00 pm - 2:00 am.

I found my peak was the mid afternoon energy wise, but I am a nightowl and also got a lot done in the witching hours too. I just preferred that to be entertainment time.

Listening to your biological clock is important. Another tip I would give is to be as persistent as you can be.