User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    At the moment I'm working hard to try and build up sufficient savings to be financially independent, I'm not even talking about early retirement as that's not exactly what I want to do, I would like to earn enough money that I could make choices about my working life, like split a year between two locations, even two jobs even, even two different fields even and I'd like to rotate my jobs, so that I could learn new skills and get paid while doing it and choose work on the basis of things like the manager is a good manager, a proper team leader and not someone who will prove as lousy a manager as others have been lousy managers to them (a bit of a problem in Northern Ireland I gather) or the colleagues are good colleagues etc.
    How would this work? How would you get employers to hire you part time, or short term like this? Do you just have a good enough reputation in your field that they would be glad to have you on these terms? Short of starting my own company, which I am not up for doing, the opportunities I find in my field are standard permanent full-time positions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How would this work? How would you get employers to hire you part time, or short term like this? Do you just have a good enough reputation in your field that they would be glad to have you on these terms? Short of starting my own company, which I am not up for doing, the opportunities I find in my field are standard permanent full-time positions.
    Well, in part its where the financial independence comes in, most of the jobs which would permit this style of working are not presently well paid or steady work, I know some people who are electricians and they told me about work being available which paid more than a thousand for three to six weeks work, with full room, board and expenses money, plus transport there and back paid for.

Its work which is done by what academics (those cookie academics) have taken to calling the precariat, because their work is precarious, although that said I did know IT technicians at university who regularly split work between two locations when they left uni, working with the same agency, because those agencies were generally based in the US and they were working in the ROI, even at the higher paid end of things IT professionals in Ireland are less well paid that the US parent firms employees, northern ireland technicians are paid less again, even knew one guy from uni who would work for two or three years and then take two or three years out to travel.

Mind you we're talking about people who had PhDs in their mid twenties maybe, I'm also guessing who'd have left uni with no debt and dividends from investment coming in already, so there's that. They'd definitely be in demand, one of them was head hunted by competiting firms and another was sent products to test before they reached the market place, I think he may have designed the early algorithms for Amazon to guess on the basis of your purchases what you may like (though I'd not blame them for the present format of that feature which I think is just ugly).

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I could really use some advice in the same vein as the type the OP is looking for.

I am not well suited for my job at all, and I get up every day begrudgingly. My parents tell me I should stay with it because it pays well, and I'm half-inclined to agree with them because I don't have a college degree yet. Any other job I might try to get requires some schooling. Any classes that I might take to help me get a better job would interfere with my degree ones. I'm effectively stuck in a job that I'm not good at and don't like, and I'm sure that when a person shows up to monitor me for a day to see how I'm doing, they'll recommend me for a lower rating on my annual review. I think part of my bad performance is my age and my attitude, but also just the fact that I can't work with children. I know life could be worse (as my mom always tells me), but I really don't want to see the day it gets to that point. Sorry for blabbing.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp

Werent you considering teaching again at some point? I dont know if that is what you are specifically looking for long term, but if you find it... well, more enjoyable then your current job then maybe well... there are routes you could go through to do that. And maybe through those... well... if you wanted to go further you could maybe become a professor or something. If that is what you want.

Or even some day- be comfortable enough to write maybe. I mean, you have been a physicist for a while- you could maybe well... write.

I dont know. I wish I had more to suggest. But this is an interesting thread and Im going to watch it
    The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you’re going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins.
    I.F. Stone

Johari

Nohari

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I've heard such sentiments before and there is some good advice in there.

However working out what your strengths are can be a lifetime exercise for many of us. I personally have never had any prominent strengths, or rather I've never had any prominent strengths that could be compared to the pool of available talent in a way that favours me significantly over others (if you can identify a different method for identifying strength, as in strength of ability or as a person, without some comparison to others I'd like to see it, which is not to say that the comparison needs to become obsessive or fueled by envy).

My main strength is that I'm unthreatening. I think most people are not bothered by me and find me inconsequential to their own continuing lives, which I think is more than can be said of most, even if this can go to extremes of benefit and hurt through ignorance. I'm also extremely 'stay-the-path' when it comes to something that interests me, doesn't mean I ever become a master of the subject (as is the case with my painting) but you can trust that I'll do it to the best of my ability. This also means that I acquire a lot of information on subjects that are currently holding attention, however this doesn't mean I retain it particularly well without aid.

Now I'm not sure how one would market this strength (unthreatening, from which all the other strengths stem) and use it to build a job I'm attuned to. I have considered professions like psychiatry, however I am not very skilled at giving others advice, I prefer to (very) gently allude and get others to figure stuff out for themselves (hypocritically as I am constantly asking for help and am not exactly a bastion of 'figuring stuff out' myself).

I'd really like to meet and talk to Marcus Buckingham on this very subject and hear his ideas, not facetiously, I'm generally interested in such people and their inspirational tendencies. Which are to me as comprehensible as the ant perceiving a skyscraper.

PS: I'm also prone to melancholic sentimentality, though I don't know whether that is a strength or not in these confusing, modern times.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Werent you considering teaching again at some point? I dont know if that is what you are specifically looking for long term, but if you find it... well, more enjoyable then your current job then maybe well... there are routes you could go through to do that. And maybe through those... well... if you wanted to go further you could maybe become a professor or something. If that is what you want.

Or even some day- be comfortable enough to write maybe. I mean, you have been a physicist for a while- you could maybe well... write.

I dont know. I wish I had more to suggest. But this is an interesting thread and Im going to watch it
    I do hope we get input from other members on techniques and resources that have helped them change or find a career direction. That might be useful for you as you approach graduation and enter the job market. It may also add some realism or a sanity check to the things you are being taught in that one class you mentioned in your blog.

As for myself, I already do teach, but part-time and irregularly as an adjunct at my local university. I enjoy it, but wouldn't want to do it full-time. Regular faculty positions at universities are hard to get, and the hiring process often political and outright byzantine, especially for applicants who have not been in academia and therefore do not have the publication history universities expect. (We have other strengths, but that doesn't seem to matter as much.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Ravenetta, Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Online teaching has been very positive in my experience. Even though it is also adjunct, with adjunct pay, once the course shell is well designed, the maintenance during the term is not as exhaustive as face-to-face. I usually put a good 100 hours into the course shell, but reap the benefits after that.

My career is always in flux, because I've always known what I enjoy doing, but figuring out how to get paid for it to make a living is the hard part. I end up getting paid for the absolute simplest, beginner parts, but not the intellectual challenging part.

In my case, I mostly get paid for kindergarten type stuff in music lessons like...
    ||: C, C, C... Find all the C's, I know that you can find every C :||

Hold-that-whole-note!

I compensate by becoming a very silly person.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's ironic because my job, which is very technical, is often listed as a bad choice for my MBTI type, but I dig it. I get to work in a new and changing landscape, the activities it entails are rewarding, I am well compensated, and I'm valued which means I have a lot of leverage in the market, which translates to me being able to do things like working remotely, which I'm doing now. But, getting here was incredibly painful, the skills I learned were not second nature to me, and I would not have necessarily have committed to it if I had more options in my life from the beginning. Ultimately, the "perfect job" can all just be one big crapshoot.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    Online teaching has been very positive in my experience. Even though it is also adjunct, with adjunct pay, once the course shell is well designed, the maintenance during the term is not as exhaustive as face-to-face. I usually put a good 100 hours into the course shell, but reap the benefits after that.

My career is always in flux, because I've always known what I enjoy doing, but figuring out how to get paid for it to make a living is the hard part. I end up getting paid for the absolute simplest, beginner parts, but not the intellectual challenging part.

In my case, I mostly get paid for kindergarten type stuff in music lessons like...
    ||: C, C, C... Find all the C's, I know that you can find every C :||

Hold-that-whole-note!

I compensate by becoming a very silly person.
    Better you than me. I work with kids on occasion, usually grades 4-8, doing hands-on science activities as a volunteer. It is very sporadic, though, just an hour at a time here and there. I couldn't do that every day.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Better you than me. I work with kids on occasion, usually grades 4-8, doing hands-on science activities as a volunteer. It is very sporadic, though, just an hour at a time here and there. I couldn't do that every day.
    The online teaching is college level, but a lot of my face-time is with younger students. I have been in a state of burnout for a while now because of the mindless repetition. I do have some double barrel days. I can like it sometimes, but after a certain amount of repetition it is too much. Also, I'm not a good disciplinarian, so sometimes it can feel like I'm required to not use my best contribution. Most of the personally satisfying endeavors are on my own time. I probably prefer to design and create introductory materials, rather than use them irl.

The internet has been very good to me professionally - both for online college teaching and selling educational and artistic materials I create on my own time. Those two investments of time pay off better than the daily repetition of "hold that whole note" stuff. That part of my life does make me feel like it makes me stupid sometimes because it does use energy, but not much of my brain. For all my graduate work, there is a lot of my actual life that doesn't reflect that at all.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL