• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have grit? Is grit really a good thing?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You graduated at the bottom because you didn't TRY. That's the inherent problem with people who are told they have a high IQ.

The misconception of IQ is that it measures intelligence-that's bullshit. It mentions potential utilizing potential requires I a lot of time and effort.

People are tolled that they are naturally gifted don't try. They think they don't have to. meanwhile those who are tolled they are not skilled or special have to work their asses off and will easily surpass their "gifted" counterparts.

You have just confused success with intelligence and leaned on meaning as if its reality. I dont care about IQ because i know EXACTLY what it is. I took my first IQ test at 15 because my uncle wanted to be known as smart and he was bragging about his 120 score and pushed me to take it and scored in 140 range. It meant i can put 2 and 2 together alot of the time very fast. Thats it, nothing more. I could lay my head down, hear bits and pieces and have the whole picture accurately in certain realms.

I took a digital class and after first day of brief high level i used our simulation software and built circuitry for an alarm system with a keypad using digital components.

Intelligence has been defined, it has been measured consistently, it exists. Its not potential...intelligence is one of many paths that can lead to success. Is it the only, nope.

You know why people think i am intelligent? Because the words that come out of my mouth. Not success.

School bored shit outta me, i learned to program at 5 because i enjoy learning. I didnt do horrible because i didnt TRY, i aced tests. I almost failed because i didnt CARE.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I think she and I have different ideas of what grit means...which is fine...

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I've got grits alright.

200902-r-xl-creamy-cheese-grits.jpg

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well if grit means passion and perseverance, I suppose I don't have much grit at all :(

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always thought those people were called “over achievers”.

I was an underachiever, and weirdly over confident while simultaneously lacking confidence, and I probably still am that way. I didn’t develop good work ethic because I developed cleverness instead. I looked for loopholes, how to work the system so I could benefit the most while doing the least, etc.

I also realized early on that good work ethic is a scam from superiors. It’s their way of shaming people into working hard for them and feeling rewarded by their sense of being “good” (i.e. they won’t expect a raise!). It’s also because people have some need to measure everything. They need to measure others, see how they measure up, etc. It seems like they have no sense of self beyond how they measure. I’m not motivated by that as much as some people.

I do have passion, perseverance and resilience; but it’s not with a steady pace or according to official procedures as the over achievers tend to do. I don’t have schedules and five year plans. I also don’t see the point in treating life as a challenge to overcome or a series of stuff to accomplish. My official stance is - I don’t believe in goals. I have desires because they’re more about experiencing a particular feeling, not a specific situation. My modus operandi is to work on myself internally, have a general concept of what suits me (aka desires) and then explore life and see what pops up that aligns with my internal self.

IDK

I used to think of grit as physical and mental toughness or endurance, which was kind of like a lot of books and media has referred to as resilience, for a long time I thought these were good things, I guess I'm not entirely dissuaded of that point even now, at least not altogether but I'm a lot more skeptical these days.

Most of the people who actually possess grit are not going to get much credit for it, that's the kid whose parenting their siblings, getting bullied and their parents are abscent or hopeless...

This was my idea of “grit” also. I thought it referred to gritting your teeth and getting on with a difficult situation that you aren’t exactly going to get praised for....the goal is simply to survive and perhaps help others do so.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that life is some difficult struggle though. Sure, you could say it’s because I live in a western country in relative luxury, but there are people who don’t who are remarkably happy. I suppose that’s why I don’t bother with grit.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always thought those people were called “over achievers”.

I was an underachiever, and weirdly over confident while simultaneously lacking confidence, and I probably still am that way. I didn’t develop good work ethic because I developed cleverness instead. I looked for loopholes, how to work the system so I could benefit the most while doing the least, etc.

I also realized early on that good work ethic is a scam from superiors. It’s their way of shaming people into working hard for them and feeling rewarded by their sense of being “good” (i.e. they won’t expect a raise!). It’s also because people have some need to measure everything. They need to measure others, see how they measure up, etc. It seems like they have no sense of self beyond how they measure. I’m not motivated by that as much as some people.

I do have passion, perseverance and resilience; but it’s not with a steady pace or according to official procedures as the over achievers tend to do. I don’t have schedules and five year plans. I also don’t see the point in treating life as a challenge to overcome or a series of stuff to accomplish. My official stance is - I don’t believe in goals. I have desires because they’re more about experiencing a particular feeling, not a specific situation. My modus operandi is to work on myself internally, have a general concept of what suits me (aka desires) and then explore life and see what pops up that aligns with my internal self.

This was my idea of “grit” also. I thought it referred to gritting your teeth and getting on with a difficult situation that you aren’t exactly going to get praised for....the goal is simply to survive and perhaps help others do so.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that life is some difficult struggle though. Sure, you could say it’s because I live in a western country in relative luxury, but there are people who don’t who are remarkably happy. I suppose that’s why I don’t bother with grit.

Difference between good worth ethic and slavery. Teachers confuse the two sometimes I feel. At least my film teacher did.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The lady in the video is a quitter imo. She was a teacher and probably wondering why anyone would want to do this job for 25 years. Then she quit to write a book about it. Now she's probably more well off and happier than if she'd stuck it out with teaching. There's lots of successful people who are quitters. They decide this isn't for me instead of toughing it out.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, because success definitely only means doing well at school and having a high family income :dry:

I didn't fail school because I thought "I'm so smart I don't have to work hard", I knew working harder would yield good results. I just didn't see the point. If I wanted to know something, I taught myself. I honestly just liked to entertain and dazzle people. I wouldn't do assignments, unless I could think of a very funny way to approach it. I always wanted to make my teachers laugh.

Even now at work, I know I could do a lot of things to advance my corporate career, but instead I have developed a reputation for being "erratic" since I take a lot of creative risks, speak flippantly about the rules, and rarely hesitate to tell off my superiors if I think they're being dicks.

And so a lot of the corporate types think I am just blindly sabotaging myself, because they assume I share their priorities and ambitions. Meanwhile, I consider myself successful when I learn something new, express myself authentically, and entertain/engage/inspire others.