• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Chapter, New Terror

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Hello, all!

After a long and exhausting stint of college, grad school, and a string of miserable jobs, I have finally landed the job that is a major boost in my life and my career. It's too early to call it a dream job, but it is definitely better than anything I've ever had before. I start the job in a week, and I've been busy moving to a new city, furnishing a new apartment, and making all the arrangements.

And I am terrified.

I can't shake the feeling that something's going to go wrong. I've been miserable in my career for so long that it seems unreal and even impossible that I could land a potentially satisfying job and make a go of it. And I'm afraid that it will be ruined somehow.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any tips on getting over these jitters?

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, first of all, congratulations.

Yes, I have similar things happening to me. I had to change my major's choice and move from a different city, find a new place to stay, start everything anew. But it was worthwhile and you just need to get through the first adaptation phase. Once you've settled, I assume you will feel very satisfied with your choice.

Congratulations. It just sounds like new situation jitters. It isn't just a change of jobs or a move it's both simultaneously. Those are two very stressful changes. I think once you've settled in for a few weeks and established a routine within your new framework you'll be fine. If it was me I'd be exhausting myself with the five billion scenarios likely to improbable that would be whirling through my brain. INFP imagination in overdrive. So as the situation narrows the possibilities with progress, and ejects a lot of uncertainty, things should gain an equilibrium. You've gotten this far in envisioning a new direction for your life. Be proud of that and trust that you'll continue to find your way forward.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Y'all are completely right. Thanks for the encouragement and the congrats--I really appreciate it. I need to work on being more zen about the whole thing.