• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Good at Math?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, sometimes I solved problem which nobody can solve in class but I never liked math so my grades were average... A B and sometimes C.

Although, I like geometry , integrals and generally work with polynomial. :wubbie:

Metis

Yes, sometimes I solved problem which nobody can solve in class but I never liked math so my grades were average... A B and sometimes C.

Although, I like geometry , integrals and generally work with polynomial. :wubbie:

The teacher made some really pretty ones that looked like flowers when we got to the round ones. I've already forgotten what they're called. :dry: "Look it up, Metis." Um. Polar coordinates, like this: Polar coordinate system - Wikipedia

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can add, subtract, and sort of still have the multiplication tables memorized. Apparently there was a time when I knew a smidge more than that (I did pass the GED after all) but the experience was so traumatic that I just kind of purged it from my memory to keep from losing my mind completely. :emot-emo:

Needless to say, it's kind of a problem. But for some reason a lot of people feel the need to compound the problem by either not believing me when I tell them (because I can come across as pretty bright and articulate in other areas) or just doing personal attacks, as if that will somehow magically fix my academic deficiencies. :doh:

ArakisAK

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I like maths and I don't have any problems with it. Actually, I'm pretty interested in it when I'm outside of school.

I really appreciate, that we have internet in our times, and so many good materials to learn from, especially on KhanAcademy. I REALLY recommend this site if you have any problems with math, physics, chemistry etc. Or if you are just interested in something.

Mole

Permabanned
There is a lovely little book on the philosophy of mathematics called The Laws of Form by G. Spencer Brown. How can you not read it?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm good enough at math that it was basically a minor for me in college, with all As. I don't, however, use (or likely remember) 95% of what I learned. So.

Metis

Yes, I like maths and I don't have any problems with it. Actually, I'm pretty interested in it when I'm outside of school.

I really appreciate, that we have internet in our times, and so many good materials to learn from, especially on KhanAcademy. I REALLY recommend this site if you have any problems with math, physics, chemistry etc. Or if you are just interested in something.

Yeah, my recent calculus teacher introduced me to KhanAcademy. Outstanding free resource. :heart: He has a good presentational style in his videos. I haven't used the games/quizzes much, due to lack of time. You could run your own independent study using that resource.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose I am fairly average at math. If a concept is explained to me I usually get it but sometimes have to work hard at it. I used to enjoy the logical kitty cards in high school, pretty basic stuff though. Algebra to me does not seem very frightening but again i'd have to work at it and am prone to mistakes.

rav3n

i'd have to work at it
That's the line that I draw with being 'good at' or 'not'. With math, I had to work at it, including doing the homework, lol. Still got the grades but wouldn't do math for fun.

That said, coding is fun to me which includes math. Go figure.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the line that I draw with being 'good at' or 'not'. With math, I had to work at it, including doing the homework, lol. Still got the grades but wouldn't do math for fun.

That said, coding is fun to me which includes math. Go figure.

I think most people have to have concepts explained to them the first time round though, or build up to it. You don't just walk into a calculus class knowing the advanced stages. Granted there are geniuses for who it will just make sense immediately and some who really are very good at understanding and advancing/propelling themselves. So yeah I don't think I am 'bad' at math, just average.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im good at math and its interesting. But really only learn what is required for what i need. I made it through calculus in college. Hardest part for me with calculus was the fact i woke up at 5pm and worked 12 hour shift from 6:30pm to 7:00am and my calculus class was at 9:00am

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NO. I hated it at school I felt it like a torture and saw the teacher like a dick-tator (well he was).

Later (after university) I studied graphology and I must say it is much more useful.

That is true I may work one day (only one) about becoming friend with numbers as well. I have already started with numerology, not so bad....

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can learn up to a point, but then I forget the equations and all that if I don't use them regularly, which I usually don't. So basic, everyday math, yes! I enjoy that kind of math. Others, I would have to relearn. Overall, though, math wasn't my favorite subject.

rav3n

I think most people have to have concepts explained to them the first time round though, or build up to it. You don't just walk into a calculus class knowing the advanced stages. Granted there are geniuses for who it will just make sense immediately and some who really are very good at understanding and advancing/propelling themselves. So yeah I don't think I am 'bad' at math, just average.
There's a lot of rote memorization in math which drives me nuts. Coding's much easier since it's more pure logic.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm pretty good at math I just didn't get into it deep enough but it's a really interesting area to get into.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Maths has always been like meditation, because I naturally like solving systems and investigating techniques. Plus my Dad is an engineer and stored old maths and science books in my room when I was young, so I learnt a lot from self study and had him as a good resource to ask things when needed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a lot of rote memorization in math which drives me nuts. Coding's much easier since it's more pure logic.
That sounds like bad teaching. No wonder it drove you nuts. Math is about patterns, processes, and results, but I suppose it is harder to teach that way for someone who doesn't really understand it him/herself.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i never had a natural ability for it, and opted out of any high level math because of it. i didn’t even finish algebra 2 in high school, i took the slacker math class called “personal finance.” i did score decently in math on standardized tests, but it was definitely my weakest subject.

the only part i found easy was statistics, and i managed a good grade in my community college stats class lol. and i can do pretty quick basic mental math. :shrug:

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am excellent in algebra but terrible in geometry.

Keira

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a subject in HS, I struggle a lot with Maths but that's mostly just because I'm always too lazy to practice.
Normal Math, like simply adding/subtracting number is my head is quite easy for me although since I'm kind of skeptical about everything I do, I will appear very slow. Even if it just takes me a fraction of a second to triple numbers, I'll do it over and over again to see if I'm actually right idk why :shrug: