• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Good at Math?

Upnextup

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been wondering about this for a while. . .

I was a natural at/good at math in my younger years but then I got depressed in high school and stopped really trying to learn just when the difficulty got kicked up several notches. If not for that I may have continued on to do well at math- or not? i'll never really know . . .

How about you? ;)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to suck, but now I'm getting better after I removed the emotional baggage. I'm learning to understand, and not to get it over with anymore.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Always liked it very much and am fairly good at it. I use math a lot in my daily life to organize things in my head, it is definitely a powerful tool for me.

hav

MBTI Type
INTJ
Math is about accepting. I did not understand that as a kid. I thought it was supposed to be logical, that it would somehow make sense, hence the frustration when I always got to the conclusion that it didn't. So I was really bad at math simply because I had the wrong attitude. Instead I excelled in language-based classes and history, being the absolute worst among my peers at math. But when I got older, I realized that math is not so much about questioning, but about accepting that it is what it is. And that was when I realized the beauty of math.

á´…eparted

passages
I had to take up to multivariable calculus, and I also had to take physical chemistry when I was in college. By that measure I am much better at math than most. However, math is a struggle for me and I don't regard myself as good at it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im passable at math. If I can logically figure it out... I can usually make it work. If it requires lots of steps and formulas that I have to rely on my memory for... than no. Its not my best subject but not my worst either. And it CAN be fun- if its like a puzzle I can get a thrill/satisfaction from making it all come together.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I had to take up to multivariable calculus, and I also had to take physical chemistry when I was in college. By that measure I am much better at math than most. However, math is a struggle for me and I don't regard myself as good at it.

Yes although statistics (and accounting to a lesser degree) are things I have to do all the time so I had no choice but to improve. My husband has a degree in physics - I'm not even attempting to compete with that.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
LOL I got an award for perseverance in math, once ... so yeah, I suck but I stick to it.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
When it comes to daily math--figuring out tips, dividing a bill, tax percentages, etc.--I'm a whiz. I never struggled with math until college algebra. i is the square root of -1, which is an imaginary number, and it was the unravelling of my confidence in math. I still don't understand it. In high school, after raising my hand for the tenth time to say I didn't understand, my teacher actually said to me, "You're never going to get it, so you need to just give up."

That teacher was such a great motivator.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No, I am not. I'm like, dyslexic when it comes to math, and it's honestly embarrassing. I tried everything in school to get better at it -- and while I was a bit stubborn with some things, I did try. Some teachers got through to me (there was one, actually, in elementary school... amazing.) but a lot of the others.. I don't know. Not that that matters, because I did learn from them. I really did. But those skills didn't carry through to my life now. I cannot understand numbers or math or anything, at all. It's not something I'm proud of. I wish I understood math how everyone else did. But I do not, at all.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Similar here. Took multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, math methods in physics. I always had to work at it, but was reasonably successful. Sadly I don't actually need to do math at this level very often, so am woefully out of practice.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I was always good at math.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When it comes to daily math--figuring out tips, dividing a bill, tax percentages, etc.--I'm a whiz. I never struggled with math until college algebra. i is the square root of -1, which is an imaginary number, and it was the unravelling of my confidence in math. I still don't understand it. In high school, after raising my hand for the tenth time to say I didn't understand, my teacher actually said to me, "You're never going to get it, so you need to just give up."

That teacher was such a great motivator.

That is the worst thing a teacher can say!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Similar here. Took multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, math methods in physics. I always had to work at it, but was reasonably successful. Sadly I don't actually need to do math at this level very often, so am woefully out of practice.

Not even in physics?

I'm good at math, at least relative to the average person. I like calculus but I'm not such a big fan of trigonometry. I just feel like it's too much of a "black box."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not even in physics?
My research is very applications-oriented. I suppose it's more that I do certain types of calculations over and over, and don't have to revisit math outside of this very often. I am also an experimentalist, so do not get into the sort of theoretical development, or even simulation and modelling, that some of my colleagues do. My calculations support experimental design, are validated/refined using experimental results, and then used to design devices.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have tried, but have never passed a calculus class. I once gave up on math. Now, I work with numbers in a job that I mostly taught myself how to do, and am decidedly not failing. Far from it. It wouldn't be the only example of a skill I've picked up better alone than under supervision.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. It's not effortless however. I have to pay attention and study.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't like math it frustrates me, thus I don't do well with it