• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Good at Math?

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I majored in it and actively work as an actuary, so I'd like to think so. Though at the higher theoretical levels my interest (and thus aptitude) fades--algebraic topology comes to mind.

Here's a recent video I watched on modular forms by the man who wrote the one sentence proof of Fermat's theorem on the sum of two squares. Maybe I'm not so good after all... the guy is a beast.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Woefully poor at it. I still struggle with even long multiplication or division.

But I try extremely hard.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I used to be good. It was my favourite subject at school. But unfortunately my mathematical skills right now are limited to counting money and sometimes solving sudoku.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very good at algebra.
anything geometric loses me.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I couldn't solve you a math problem, but I could probably write you a story (after research of course) about a man/woman who is good at math. :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I couldn't solve you a math problem, but I could probably write you a story (after research of course) about a man/woman who is good at math. :D
So then, if a math problem is presented as a story, do you find it easier?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So then, if a math problem is presented as a story, do you find it easier?

If it could be tied to something instead of just shooting random numbers off, then yeah for the most part. Like a class I took last semester was a math class that tied a lot it to real work applications. I did pretty okay in that class.

Hate it. Horrible at it. My brain just shorts out when it comes to numbers. Letters? I can see paragraphs in my head. My spelling is decent. If I had to choose which I'd rather have a problem with, math wins hands down. If I had that level of difficulty with writing and language in general, I'd live in a cave somewhere.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hate it. Horrible at it. My brain just shorts out when it comes to numbers. Letters? I can see paragraphs in my head. My spelling is decent. If I had to choose which I'd rather have a problem with, math wins hands down. If I had that level of difficulty with writing and language in general, I'd live in a cave somewhere.
Please don't make me want to stab my eyes out! Innumeracy is no better than illiteracy. If you have that level of difficulty with math, you should run off to the same cave. You don't need to know multivariable calculus, but a knowledge of proportions, exponents, and basic statistics in addition to the usual arithmetic is necessary just for managing your personal finances, and assessing risk/probability so you can make sound decisions in the presence of uncertainty, which describes most of life. Questions like: how expensive a car/house can you afford? is it better to pay down your debt, or invest in your retirement account? how many paving stones do you need for your new patio? are you more likely to win the lottery, or die on the way to buy a ticket? It helps in understanding when someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, too, whether that is a salesman, con artist, or politician.

main-qimg-91b04d0ae4857b8ac941778c36a17238-c

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Please don't make me want to stab my eyes out! Innumeracy is no better than illiteracy. If you have that level of difficulty with math, you should run off to the same cave. You don't need to know multivariable calculus, but a knowledge of proportions, exponents, and basic statistics in addition to the usual arithmetic is necessary just for managing your personal finances, and assessing risk/probability so you can make sound decisions in the presence of uncertainty, which describes most of life. Questions like: how expensive a car/house can you afford? is it better to pay down your debt, or invest in your retirement account? how many paving stones do you need for your new patio? are you more likely to win the lottery, or die on the way to buy a ticket? It helps in understanding when someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, too, whether that is a salesman, con artist, or politician.

But, this image...doesn't make sense to me. If one reads in binary, then they're doing both, no? :huh:

They like numbers AND words, kablam! :happy2:

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But, this image...doesn't make sense to me. If one reads in binary, then they're doing both, no? :huh:

They like numbers AND words, kablam! :happy2:
No. Perhaps you should join Population: 1 in that cave.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've always thought I was extremely math disabled growing up. But these days, I am nearly certain that it wasn't that I couldn't deal with numbers and equations, but the way my teachers taught math that didn't work for me. I always need to know why, where something is coming from, the context for something. I was only ever given a string of letters and numbers and told what to do, but not why I did it. Therefore, math, was only ever a memorization game for me. When I started taking physics classes for architecture, that's when things really got interesting for me. Then, all those equations started making sense to me. There was something tied to the equations that I could then visualize. Had math been taught in a similar method, then I most definitely would've had a profoundly different view and approach towards math growing up.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always thought I was extremely math disabled growing up. But these days, I am nearly certain that it wasn't that I couldn't deal with numbers and equations, but the way my teachers taught math that didn't work for me. I always need to know why, where something is coming from, the context for something. I was only ever given a string of letters and numbers and told what to do, but not why I did it. Therefore, math, was only ever a memorization game for me. When I started taking physics classes for architecture, that's when things really got interesting for me. Then, all those equations started making sense to me. There was something tied to the equations that I could then visualize. Had math been taught in a similar method, then I most definitely would've had a profoundly different view and approach towards math growing up.
Glad to hear it. Unfortunately there is no shortage of bad math teaching, which results in lots of people who not only can't do math but aren't particularly interested in learning. I don't mind abstract math on its own - it's like a game or puzzle, but it takes on a much deeper meaning when used to understand or accomplish something practical.

Salesman/politician = con artist. That equation I know well.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
During middle school I used to be the first of the class. During high school something happened, and I dropped to average student.

I was the weird gal who understood everything perfectly at first try (and was in love with the beauty of the subject) but failed the practice because she was too lazy to even try. I've always been, and still am now at uni, better at physics.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Above average for sure. However I haven't used the more advanced one for quite some time and therefore I forgot pretty much everything about it. However I tend to think in the terms of numbers.