User Tag List

First 91011

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That sounds like bad teaching. No wonder it drove you nuts. Math is about patterns, processes, and results, but I suppose it is harder to teach that way for someone who doesn't really understand it him/herself.
    Agree. I used to tutor maths a bit and when someone was struggling it was usually a case of changing how they looked at things rather than feeding them lots of info to rote learn.

You often get these problems because teacher/student styles don't match. Things that are actually quite simple if seen for what they are, suddenly become complex beasts that require lots of learning. I think some teachers want to seem smart too, so make things seem hard when they would actually be easy if communicated to the student in a context that they can readily understand.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

We don’t have to be good at mathematics to enjoy it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

I remember that When I was in elementary school, i was chosen by my teacher to become school representatives for math competition. But in high school, may be because of too much playing playstation, my academic mark was not as good as in elementary school.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

But Now with free ebooks on the net and lots of math forum: mathstackexchange, math10forum, etc, we can pursue our interest in mathematics further if we had the opportunity. I did not choose a math major in university since , I could only predict that the person can only be accepted professionally as a teacher, while in the country I live in, teachers are not paid well.

I have tested my memory of mathematics formula taught in highschool after leaving highschool for about 2 decades by closing any source: internet, books, but my mind. I find that I can still remember of the formulas and i can still mention the topics of math that I haven't studied for 2 decades. It signifies that my mind can still retain a good memory of mathematics. It is different with the more recent business theory that I learnt in university. I find some I couldn't come to my mind. I feel that math is definitely a subject for me.

If I had the chance like getting scholarship, I would go to university again to study math. But, I think that doing a degree in university on my own expense is not worth the money. I can learn math autodidactly which is much cheaper altough there is no diploma I will receive.

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Yes. I'm very good at Meth.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    yupp

no, i still use my fingers to add two numbers together