• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Salary negotiations: How to squeeze blood from a turnip?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Does anyone have any tips that actually work on negotiating a salary?

My friend and I are trying to figure out how to squeeze a few more thousands dollars out of an employer that hired him. He said he's just going to tell them the truth: Times is hard and he needs more money.

So we figured we'd give a mini-financial layout. He's got student loans, rent, utilities, transportation, and a car note. He's single with no family or friends to fall back on in LA and it's expensive as hell to live there. Is this too much information? We don't want to go for the sob story but he can't relocate if he's not ensured that he can take care of himself. This is just bare minimum to survive.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Employers usually don't care about employees' personal financial obligations, to their credit.

The trick is, one needs to be prepared to leave the job when one asks quite unemotionally for a raise, and possibly explains one's use to the employer.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Employers usually don't care about employees' personal financial obligations, to their credit.

The trick is, one needs to be prepared to leave the job when one asks quite unemotionally for a raise, and possibly explaining one's use to the employer.

Indeed.

Just wait until the employer goes "these are my costs, blah blah. Now that I think about it, I need to pay you less." :D

He really needs to be in a position of "I'll leave if I don't get more money" for this to work, IMO. Some employers might budge, but I wouldn't be better the bank on it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can't relocate if he's not ensured that he can take care of himself.
I would just say this (can't afford to move without a raise), and forget the details. It would seem like complaining and would make me uncomfortable to share such sensitive information.

However I'm still in school so my opinion isn't all that valid.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

The trick is, one needs to be prepared to leave the job when one asks quite unemotionally for a raise, and possibly explains one's use to the employer.

Indeed.

Just wait until the employer goes "these are my costs, blah blah. Now that I think about it, I need to pay you less." :D

He really needs to be in a position of "I'll leave if I don't get more money" for this to work, IMO. Some employers might budge, but I wouldn't be better the bank on it.

Hehe...too much Fe?:blush:

Truthfully, he doesn't have much to bargain with. He's got experience, but this is at movie studio so I'm sure there are people willing to work for free. He's been offered this higher paying job but it's still not enough. How can he unemotionally bring this up? What chips does he need to lay down?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Truthfully, he doesn't have much to bargain with. He's got experience, but this is at movie studio so I'm sure there are people willing to work for free. He's been offered this higher paying job but it's still not enough. How can he unemotionally bring this up? What chips does he need to lay down?
If he isn't better than anyone else....*shrug*

Maybe a second job as a dishwasher!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone have any tips that actually work on negotiating a salary?

My friend and I are trying to figure out how to squeeze a few more thousands dollars out of an employer that hired him. He said he's just going to tell them the truth: Times is hard and he needs more money.

What Jack said: This will not work! Don't do it!

He needs to show his value to the company, then prove that his salary isn't commensurate with that value. Ways to do this:

Keep track of money that he saves or makes for the company. The more specific the numbers the better.
Does he have responsibilities that are above and beyond the original job description?
He is being paid less than market value? If not, why does he deserve more than market value?
How easy would he be to replace?

How critical is he to the company? The more pain they would experience by letting him go, the more leverage he has. If the company can let him go fairly easily, he needs to avoid giving them an ultimatum he isn't ready to carry out.

One other suggestion: Interview for other jobs and see what they offer him. If he finds a place with a better offer, he can offer his current employer an opportunity to match. In my company, it's the ONLY way to get a raise of more than 3% or so.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Thanks Udog.

He's been offered a new job, so he hasn't had a chance to prove anything to them yet. That's the problem. Also he doesn't work in the type of job that you can quantify how much money he makes/saves for them. We went to salary.com and while there is no direct equivalent for his job he's still slightly ahead of the average.

I think it's interesting...men are more likely to push for higher salaries. When I got my job I did a little piddly pushing and then said OK. He's really making a big deal about this.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I would say roughly one third of my current staff are individuals who are in the same boat as your friend. Times are tough for many people. I think rather then take the route of asking for more money from a job he is already paid better then average finding another source of income is the logical choice. If I knew this individual was single and already making a decent salary I wouldn't be keen to being asked for more as his employer. I would suggest a second part-time job without hesitation.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People would work the job for free AND he earns slightly above market? Hmm....

The higher paying job is a definite consideration. Can he negotiate the salary for it? He could say that he is interested, but would like to know if the salary is negotiable. If he is respectful, the worst they will likely do is say "No."

The key to negotiation (win/win style at least) is to offer something in return. He wants more money... what do they get out of the deal? If they really like and want him, just asking may get a slight bump in the offer. Beyond that, what will he give them in return? Experience? More responsibilities? Extra hours?

Also, if the salary is as high as it goes, he could also try to negotiate benefits such as vacation hours and medical insurance costs.

The other thing he could try is a long term solution that won't really help with his current needs. He can ask his boss if there is anything he can do do to make himself more valuable to the company and become eligible to get a raise.

That's what I did. I asked, and my boss suggested a certification (in something that is rare in my area), and when my pay review came the next year, I got a 25% raise, followed by another 25% raise the year after that. In fulfilling my boss' request, I gave myself a unique combination of skills that would essentially require 2 people to replace me, giving them huge incentive to keep me.

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT

People would be willing to sacrifice and work free of charge, because they have the opportunity to "make moves."

Maybe this guy needs to start making moves.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Udog's advice is sound. He needs to be prepared and show why he's worth it and what his employer gets in return, hardship is not a reason to deserve a pay increase, if anything, raising that topic as a reason would go against him, salary is not charity.

He needs to know what minimum he would accept and what he is prepared to do if he can't get that. If he isn't particually valuable to them it may be a tough sell to get more cash so what else would be of value to him.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, there are no 'rules' with regard to that. I think if you have a fair boss, you can be open and honest. I was, and it worked. Period. On the other hand I think playing games would just piss the guy off. If you show you are a great worker and he cannot afford to lose you and you deserve it, you will get it. Just ask. Hell asking never hurt.

On the other hand, I work for a company that is small. So my boss sees my every success and every failure (albeit not that many failures, thank god!!!). So he probably sees me as a valuable asset because I work hard, learn fast, and do my work effectively. If I started slacking off, I'd be out on my ass quicker than you can say Jack Robinson, but I don't worry because I do not slack off. ;)

I don't know how you should do it in a big company. My aunt managed it insofar as she did her research and found out that nearly everyone made more than she in comparable jobs in other companies, printed that out, and basically started a negotiation, in which she received a substantial raise.

Hope that helps. :yes: