• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Putting troubled kids in strict environments is big business for Camelot Education

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hard Lessons - BuzzFeed News

When the 10th grader pulled out his cell phone in class — and refused to put it away — he knew he was breaking the strict rules at Camelot Academy of Escambia, the school he’d attended for the past two years. But he wasn’t expecting the punishment that followed.
An administrator charged with enforcing discipline at Camelot Academy, Jamal Tillery, struck him across the face and dragged him into an empty classroom, hitting him until he fell to the floor, according to a police report. Then, the student told police, Tillery hit him with a trash can.
The injuries were serious enough that when the student, who was 18 at the time, got home from school, his mother called the police and took him to the hospital.

The incident in Escambia, in 2011, wasn’t the first time Tillery had been accused of hurting a student. Six years earlier, when he was teaching at another school, he’d pled guilty to charges related to the assault of a 10-year-old. There, according to a police affidavit, things followed a similar pattern: Tillery dragged a disobedient boy into another room, threw him against a door, and began to hit him with his own shoes, shouting as a witness looked on about how he would not be disrespected. Afterward, the report said, the boy’s face was marked with red, his fingers bruised from where he had tried to block the blows. Tillery had pled guilty to disorderly conduct and harassment.

This time around, Tillery was arrested and charged with battery. He took a pretrial diversion that allowed his record to be wiped clean. Tillery maintains he was protecting himself: the student, a troubled kid with a record, struck him first, he said, and he never used a trash can.

School administrators say they are confident Tillery did nothing wrong and was defending himself from a violent student. With Tillery’s record clean, Camelot Academy brought him back on board. The school had no idea that Tillery had a history of hurting a child — the 2005 incident with the 10-year-old, they said, had not come up in an FBI background check. That same year, as Camelot Academy’s director of operations, Tillery was accused of hurting two more students in physical altercations, police records show — one of them a 13-year-old boy. No charges were filed in either case. Inside all of Camelot’s publicly funded schools, security, order, and behavior modification take precedence over academics.

Camelot Academy of Escambia isn’t a public school, though it is funded by taxpayer dollars. It is part of a fast-growing for-profit company, owned by private equity investors in California, that school districts hire to handle their most difficult students: kids with behavioral problems, those struggling to keep up, and those at risk of dropping out of the school system entirely.

Camelot Education now owns 43 schools nationwide, making it one of the country’s largest alternative education providers. It has made a growing business out of taking in troubled kids at sharp discounts compared to publicly run schools, allowing districts to slash costs — and, at times, to improve their own metrics by shunting off their lowest-performing students. The vast majority of students who come to Camelot are black and Latino.

The company has built its business on the “Camelot model,” a rigid system of strict discipline that is based, in part, on juvenile prisons and residential treatment centers. Inside all of Camelot’s publicly funded schools, security, order, and behavior modification take precedence over academics. A rigid hierarchy pervades student life: Top-ranking kids are assigned to an elite club, dressed in special uniforms and given privileges to oversee their peers — correcting their posture, their attire, their behavior. Students are ranked regularly on charts posted throughout the school, where the names of kids who are struggling are highlighted in bright red ink.

The rest of the article is at the link. I've seen a couple people on the site talk about the necessity of corporal punishment in schools, particularly for troubled kids. I thought this article might add an interesting perspective to that conversation, as well as tie into the general trend in schools, prisons, and hospitals, where people are sold into correction or treatment for the profit of private companies.

I'm interested in thoughts and opinions on this as well.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ brings this [2min] Louis CK bit to mind:

Louis C.K. bit on hitting children by webmyc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Not to mention, assaulting a child (and that is exactly what it is) teaches the child, 'this is how you address or solve problems.'
Even when they're too young to grasp logical reasoning the way an adult does, there are other ways to condition a kid to follow rules for their own safety/wellbeing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
^ brings this [2min] Louis CK bit to mind:

Louis C.K. bit on hitting children by webmyc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Not to mention, assaulting a child (and that is exactly what it is) teaches the child, 'this is how you address or solve problems.'
Even when they're too young to grasp logical reasoning the way an adult does, there are other ways to condition a kid to follow rules for their own safety/wellbeing.

exactly i live in a town that's very conservative and a lot of the people there were beaten as children and believe that you can only be a good person if you're beaten but the thing is the reason they act like good people is mostly out of fear and not actual sympathy or empathy and it's like i wasn't beaten as a child and i didn't end up horrible. they think everyone would behave if they receieved at least one beating. and it's like no you guys are fucking terrified to step out of line and also angry about it. but i don't say anything. i get swatting if the childs hand is near the oven or immediate danger but a switch i don't necerrely.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8

This sounds scarily similar to how the prison system is shifting to a profit-based business model with very little focus on actual rehabilitation or standards of care. The purpose of the system (education, punishment) being twisted in order to streamline practices and reduce costs - sounds great in theory, shitty in practice.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you guys think there is ever a context where corporal punishment would be necessary in a school?

Blacksheep2017

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Do you guys think there is ever a context where corporal punishment would be necessary in a school?

Absolutely not. I think our society has had a huge struggle with parents relying too heavily on schools to raise their children for them. Maybe due to households needing 2 incomes now, jobs are more demanding, etc. I think inevitably children fall to the responsibility and principles of a school system that has inconsistent teaching, discipline and even political bias. Our culture is tainted with violence everywhere. It's celebrated in movies, games and music. Our country is always involved in war. Mental disorders are abundant in a failing healthcare system that doesn't prioritize help for the mentally disabled. I could go on and on.

Point is, having children is a choice. A responsibility that should be taken on with much more consideration and commitment. To be a parent is to accept the very important challenge of raising a child to be respectful, compassionate and driven as an adult so that the world, ideally, will be left better than the one we ourselves lived in.

I am choosing to personally use the Montessori method on my daughter. I live across the street from a Montessori academy that we plan on sending her to when she's older. Montessori learning in implemented from birth at HOME. We practice various principles here now and she'll gain more knowledge once she attends. Montessori is a theory that children learn better with more freedom. Room to express themselves naturally through individual choice. Children of this learning method are reported to be more confident, compassionate, orderly, etc. than children of other schooling approaches. Obviously a stark contrast from the Camelot approach of creating a tense and restrictive learning environment.

So, no, as an INVOLVED PARENT, I will handle the discipline my child receives so that they are not a problem to begin with at school or anywhere else. I won't lean on the system to raise my child for me.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Absolutely not. I think our society has had a huge struggle with parents relying too heavily on schools to raise their children for them. Maybe due to households needing 2 incomes now, jobs are more demanding, etc. I think inevitably children fall to the responsibility and principles of a school system that has inconsistent teaching, discipline and even political bias. Our culture is tainted with violence everywhere. It's celebrated in movies, games and music. Our country is always involved in war. Mental disorders are abundant in a failing healthcare system that doesn't prioritize help for the mentally disabled. I could go on and on.

Point is, having children is a choice. A responsibility that should be taken on with much more consideration and commitment. To be a parent is to accept the very important challenge of raising a child to be respectful, compassionate and driven as an adult so that the world, ideally, will be left better than the one we ourselves lived in.

I am choosing to personally use the Montessori method on my daughter. I live across the street from a Montessori academy that we plan on sending her to when she's older. Montessori learning in implemented from birth at HOME. We practice various principles here now and she'll gain more knowledge once she attends. Montessori is a theory that children learn better with more freedom. Room to express themselves naturally through individual choice. Children of this learning method are reported to be more confident, compassionate, orderly, etc. than children of other schooling approaches. Obviously a stark contrast from the Camelot approach of creating a tense and restrictive learning environment.

So, no, as an INVOLVED PARENT, I will handle the discipline my child receives so that they are not a problem to begin with at school or anywhere else. I won't lean on the system to raise my child for me.

I think this is all very admirable of you and indicates how invested you are in being a good parent.

I agree that teaching a child to be compassionate, to behave well, how to respond to various situations, etc, should be the role of the parent(s), and that ideally parent(s) will discipline their kids appropriately so that they don't have discipline issues in school from being either disciplined too little or too much at home. Unfortunately, that's not the case for many many kids, and the responsibility does end up on the school to deal with the fallout from bad parenting.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think schools do need more options, especially as they are expected to cater to an ever widening spate of physical, mental, emotional and academic needs with less parental responsibility and involvement than ever.

In my observation though, the very very very few times when corporal punishment may do any good at all ( and I think it is a very rare situation and past very young shouldn't be done at all) is not when kids are school aged and most parents or teachers or adults I know do not have the judgement to recognize when not to use that if the option is open to them.

Many kids who act badly are not terrible people, but have insufficient attachment as well as good inputs in their lives. I also think that the more emotionally immature someone is, the more structure they need, but that also has to be supplemented with leadership and relationship.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Corporal punishment is absolutely unnecessary in schools. I teach high school, and yes, I do get tired of dealing with cell phones....and foul language, and sagging pants, and shitty attitudes, and a host of other bullshit that irritates me on a daily basis. But I deal with it calmly and rationally. I give students the option of leaving their phone in a clear bin at the beginning of class to avoid the temptation of being on it in the first place. I have a lot of students now who voluntarily "surrender" their phones before class even starts. They get it back at the end of the period. If they take it out during, depending on the circumstances, they may get a detention or sent to the main office. Does it keep them from using cell phones? Actually for the most part yes it does. But beating a kid??? That creates so many more problems than it solves.

I wouldn't be opposed to a good old-fashioned flogging for the teacher, though.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I truly believe respecting, talking to children and understanding them, rewarding them generously for doing good, works much better than punishments..
I think explaining to them the consequences if breaking the law, and including the punishment as within the context of those consequences would be a useful addition to get them to make a choice to do the right thing which is to follow the law.

I can't believe the administrator got away with beating students for so long. I don't think violence is the answer to rehabilitating troubled kids and even adults. Beating them only instills fear and the idea that violence is okay. And the worst part is that since this school is for-profit, they pretty much encourage and rely on these types of students in order to keep their business flourishing, so in the end it doesn't really solve anything but create more unhappy, troubled people in the end.

It does remind me of how the U.S. prison system treats their prisoners, with many going back to prison and not actually being rehabilitated. Troubled people in general need help and not arbitrary punishment if you want them to be reformed and useful to society.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
think this fits here:https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425143106.htm

The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties, according to a new meta-analysis of 50 years of research on spanking by experts at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Michigan.

it only covers spanking and not more abusive behaviors so if spanking doesn;t work and is harmful then corporeal punishment certaintly doesn't

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting that everyone so far seems to share the same opinion about corporal punishment in this context (compared to opinions on the same thing in other contexts). I'd be interested to hear from dissenters too, if there are any.

think this fits here:https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425143106.htm

it only covers spanking and not more abusive behaviors so if spanking doesn;t work and is harmful then corporeal punishment certaintly doesn't

I think it's a cultural thing too, as spanking and the like was more socially acceptable years ago and still is in certain cultures. Many in Latino culture specifically still see spanking as an okay form of punishment. My mother is Latina and used to spank me and hit me with the belt very often when I was young for the most petty things, even in public sometimes. Her mother was very authoritarian and used to hit all her children with the nearest item she could find whenever they did something she didn't like, even at times leaving marks and bruises on them. My mother went to a school in Latin America where hitting and making children kneel on rice to the point where their knees would bleed was seen as a normal form of punishment. She learned her behavior from her own mother, but was not as extreme, thankfully. However, it did make me fear her and become more afraid to speak out when I was younger and even today. My father, on the otherhand, rarely laid a hand on me when I was young, as his parents rarely did themselves. I am much closer to him today than I am with my mother on an emotional level. I also know better now than to support violence in any way if I end up having children of my own someday.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think it's a cultural thing too, as spanking and the like was more socially acceptable years ago and still is in certain cultures. Many in Latino culture specifically still see spanking as an okay form of punishment. My mother is Latina and used to spank me and hit me with the belt very often when I was young for the most petty things, even in public sometimes. Her mother was very authoritarian and used to hit all her children with the nearest item she could find whenever they did something she didn't like, even at times leaving marks and bruises on them. My mother went to a school in Latin America where hitting and making children kneel on rice to the point where their knees would bleed was seen as a normal form of punishment. She learned her behavior from her own mother, but was not as extreme, thankfully. However, it did make me fear her and become more afraid to speak out when I was younger and even today. My father, on the otherhand, rarely laid a hand on me when I was young, as his parents rarely did themselves. I am much closer to him today than I am with my mother on an emotional level. I also know better now than to support violence in any way if I end up having children of my own someday.

except that it's 50 year study and 50 years ago spanking was still viewed as acceptable in american culture and even encouraged iirc (i dunno i wasn't alive then). but yeah i remember getting spanked once or twice at the age of 3 and 4 but not hard before i could really reason mostly at that age i'd get time out and it would be whatever age i was so 3 minutes when i was 3.i don't want to overstep my bounds as i don't have kids but do know they vary quite a bit but i found my mom teaching me empathy was the most effective way to get me to behave.

except that it's 50 year study and 50 years ago spanking was still viewed as acceptable in american culture and even encouraged iirc (i dunno i wasn't alive then). but yeah i remember getting spanked once or twice at the age of 3 and 4 but not hard before i could really reason mostly at that age i'd get time out and it would be whatever age i was so 3 minutes when i was 3.i don't want to overstep my bounds as i don't have kids but do know they vary quite a bit but i found my mom teaching me empathy was the most effective way to get me to behave.

Yeah, that's what I meant when it was a cultural thing from years back. It was acceptable and encouraged, but not so much anymore thankfully.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, that's what I meant when it was a cultural thing from years back. It was acceptable and encouraged, but not so much anymore thankfully.

oh i got you now. yeah but there's still people where i live that still argue for it and get mad when a therapist or social worker suggests other methods.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first reaction to that article is that teachers do not have any training in enforcing that type of discipline - they are not trained as police or correctional officers. Although I do think there are issues with the training and methods of enforcement in those professions, but that is another issue to address. The issue here is that when a person has no training in enforcing discipline in a violent context, that means they are not skilled at assessing risk or proper enforcement.

We live in a very violent society that values acting out violence upon violence. I do think that there are dangerous school environments and that even rather young children can be violent and dangerous, but answering violence with more violence will in fact perpetuate the problem. Here are a couple of links to crisis intervention and restraint training. This doesn't involve hitting or assaulting individuals, but safely restraining them in a manner that "preserves the dignity of the individual".

Handle With Care:Crisis Intervention & Behavior Management Training >> Our Commitment
Handle With Care is committed to teaching staff how to deal with a behaviorally challenged population in a way that preserves the client’s dignity, is safe and enables continued positive learning and behavioral development by preserving and enhancing the therapeutic relationship.

Handle With Care was developed by a line person for staff working directly with a behaviorally challenged population.

Handle With Care believes that for learning/therapy to take place there needs to be a universal (staff and client) perception of physical and psychological safety in the milieu. Emotional safety is a relationship climate consisting of acceptance, trust, honesty, problem solving skills, communication, tolerance and foregiveness.

If staff is fearful of their personal safety, there can be no emotional safety as fear will be the controlling emotion. Similarly, if the client cannot trust the staff to keep them safe, why should they trust staff to treat them emotionally (therapy) or teach them.

Handle With Care is committed to the emotional and physical safety of behaviorally challenged individuals whose behavior is harmful to themselves or others and the staff and organizations that support them.

For more information contact us: Tel: 845-255-4031; E-mail: info@handlewithcare.com

Restraint Reduction and CPI Training | CPI
Restraint reduction is a goal for schools, hospitals, and human services organizations that are:

Committed to safely managing agitated behavior
Dedicated to providing person-centered care
Bound by policies, licensing requirements, or state or federal rules, laws, or standards

More and more states are passing legislation to reduce restraint use in schools, and in the healthcare realm, The Joint Commission has in place its Elements of Performance (EP) regarding the use of physical restraint. Additionally, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has rules in place regarding the use of restraint in Medicare and Medicaid participating hospitals and community mental health settings.

The Only Truly Safe Restraint Is the One That Never Occurs.
CPI supports restraint reduction in schools, hospitals, community homes, long-term care facilities, residential treatment centers, and other organizations—and helps agencies around the globe balance safety for everyone. Whether you work in education, healthcare, or human services, CPI's training and resources can help you with restraint reduction.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I haven't read everything about the methods of those two organizations, but am interested to learn more. The philosophy stated is definitely one I agree with, but I wanted to include a disclaimer since I don't have the training myself, and so I don't know exactly how they approach it.