• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preschool, Yes or No?

Preschool, Yes or No?

• Total voters

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Is preschool necessary? I went to preschool, but my Mom worked full time. Our older two children went and had fun but I wouldn't say they learned how to count or read in preschool. What do you think?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I voted no, because I feel that it's important for kids to be with their mother during their early years.

Usehername

On a mission
Unless a) you have an only child who doesn't get enough opportunity to learn socialization with peers or b) life is too hectic to not send your kid to preschool, I think it's a nice opportunity but certainly not necessary.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Preschool is good for kids that wouldn't have otherwise been introduced to their social peer group before Kindergarten.

The main reason for preschool, in my eyes, to is teach kids how to play with each other, not to fight, how to share....

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I really enjoy having our three year old home with me. It's an easier schedule as in I don't have to drop her off at 9 am, only to turn around and pick her up at noon. We have the day to ourselves and if I need free time I do have a reliable drop in childcare center that I am 100% comfortable leaving her for a few hours here and there.

The preschool she was signed up for has not worked out for us. I have found her an even better option but it's 15 minutes away, $240 per month (three days a week, 4 hours each day) and I still would have to drop her off and pick her up in a timely manner. IOW It would be more pressure for me to be on time which I suck at.

I feel guilty not sending her to preschool since all the moms I know send their kids to preschool.

I go to the gym every morning and they have an excellent childcare area for her age group and in the warmer months a really nice playground for them to play in as well as a pool. She is very social and has learned all of her socialization skill at the gym.

I am torn and could go either way. I hate making decisions. I wish I were more NT. :cry:

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I went to preschool. I hated it. But, then again, I've always been a bit on the socially retarded side.

My son went to the same preschool, under new ownership and new management. He loved it. He did learn things, like his colors and counting, but it was a supplement to learning from the family, not a replacement. Plus, it gave him the opportunity to do cool things that I wouldn't have done, like go to Buccaneer Bay (a water theme park) on a regular basis in the summer and to go on pony rides.

When he was older and went to an after school program, it included things like swimming lessons.

If my husband and I do manage to have another baby (which we're hoping for), that baby will most likely not go to preschool full-time since I'll be at home. But I do like the idea of a little kid play group at the park or something, since the next baby will be basically an only child. (My son is almost eleven and decided to move back to the States a year ago.)

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I really enjoy having our three year old home with me. It's an easier schedule as in I don't have to drop her off at 9 am, only to turn around and pick her up at noon. We have the day to ourselves and if I need free time I do have a reliable drop in childcare center that I am 100% comfortable leaving her for a few hours here and there.

The preschool she was signed up for has not worked out for us. I have found her an even better option but it's 15 minutes away, $240 per month (three days a week, 4 hours each day) and I still would have to drop her off and pick her up in a timely manner. IOW It would be more pressure for me to be on time which I suck at.

I feel guilty not sending her to preschool since all the moms I know send their kids to preschool.

I go to the gym every morning and they have an excellent childcare area for her age group and in the warmer months a really nice playground for them to play in as well as a pool. She is very social and has learned all of her socialization skill at the gym.

I am torn and could go either way. I hate making decisions. I wish I were more NT. :cry:

You know, it sounds like you *are* making the right decision. You have a place for you to get the free time that you need. She's getting socialized while you work out. Since those needs are being met, can you honestly think of a logical reason to send her to a preschool? I can't.

In fact, what you're doing is exactly what I hope to be doing with my next child.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Necessary? Nah. A good thing? Usually, but that's assuming it's a good fit, which it sounds like it isn't.

disregard- why are preschool and children being with their mothers mutually exclusive? Preschool is usually just 2-4 hours a few days a week. There's still plenty of time for children to be with their mothers AND their fathers.

Even if both parents must work full time and children need to be in outside care for more time than that, I don't think it means they will suffer any lack of attachment to parents. I used to, but then I was a childcare provider and saw children doing just fine with whatever routine their parents came up with.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You know, it sounds like you *are* making the right decision. You have a place for you to get the free time that you need. She's getting socialized while you work out. Since those needs are being met, can you honestly think of a logical reason to send her to a preschool? I can't.

In fact, what you're doing is exactly what I hope to be doing with my next child.

Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.

Pfft. 5 is plenty early.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Pfft. 5 is plenty early.

Maaan listen to all you smothering mothers... 5 might not be early enough, considering most of the 5 year old's peers have already had a 2 or so year headstart with preschool.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I went to preschool for two years.

It was awesome and I learned a shit ton too, I have my records somewhere, perhaps I will dig them up.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maaan listen to all you smothering mothers... 5 might not be early enough, considering most of the 5 year old's peers have already had a 2 or so year headstart with preschool.

How many 5 year olds do you know? I have known a lot, and they don't really care at that point. Believe me, 5 is plenty early (and this is from someone who chose preschool for both my kids).

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Yes, I think it plays a important roll in emotional and social development.

Believe me, 5 is plenty early (and this is from someone who chose preschool for both my kids).
I was in 'real' school then, we start school at four and half here.:shock:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
When Ree was at camp she would come home so cranky because it wore her out. She is very outgoing but I don't think spending four hours in preschool is necessary this year. Next Sept I will likely enroll her since the following year she will be in Kindergarten. The gym I go to is very family oriented and she can stay up to two hours per day (she loves it!) while I work out.

Ree is our last child so I really want to spend as much time with her as I can while of course still giving her the socialization she needs. I am also planning on enrolling her in dance/music class since she is very outgoing.

I will still think about it over the weekend, but I am leaning towards putting preschool on hold. Of course I still would love to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. :)

How many 5 year olds do you know? I have known a lot, and they don't really care at that point. Believe me, 5 is plenty early (and this is from someone who chose preschool for both my kids).
Is Thing 2 in preschool?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

I command a gang of 100 5 year olds, they tell me what's up.

Sure they don't care, they don't know what's going on. My only reason for proponing preschool is so they aren't socially lagging behind their peers.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm pro-preschool if it's good. I went to preschool and when I graduated high school probably 50% of the people who graduated in the top 5% were people I went to preschool with, which is saying something for a class of ~1000. Obviously it wasn't all due to preschool but I generally was friends with the people I knew from pre-school up until I was almost out of high school (same classes, etc.).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yo, there are a butt-load of studies that show how preschool correlates with a butt-load of positive things, and I do mean a butt-load.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Just out of curiosity for those of you who are pro preschool, what are your thoughts on homeschooling?