• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your highest level of education?

What is your highest level of education?

• No diploma yet

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • High school diploma or GED

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Some college

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Bachelor's Degree

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Master's Degree

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Doctoral Degree

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll throw this in since there is a tendency to correlate degrees with type
I have a doctorate and may be going back to school for a third masters degree in the Fall
All are in the arts and humanities

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Belgian education system is a bit different, I'll have a "brevet" (the degree before Bachelor's) in librarian science, in 3 months, and if I continue for another year after that, I'll have my Bachelor's in documentation science.

I have a U.S. High School diploma.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went to grad school out of fear of working and all I got was a this lousy anxiety.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Started College with psychology. Ghosted right after... do to personal factors. Also did some photography, art, photoshop back at original school(the few classes I took interest in). Going back into College now.

Most other education I got is from obsessive research and reading for many years.

I never liked the school system. Nor cared for their content. I wish they taught more life-related skills so it was more ... useful in a broader and less specific perspective, with the inclusion of extra specific ones.

Starry

I went to grad school out of fear of working and all I got was a this lousy anxiety.

Did I ever tell you I was kinda forced to graduate? (haha now I'm laughing but yes! like I just took classes and traveled because I thought I could do that indefinitely until a counselor called me and asked why I have never come to see her ) But then I did drop out of Archaeology school when I was in Egypt.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Highest degree right now is an MA (in history). I'm currently in grad school again, working on the PhD and will hopefully be done by 2021. I love school though and hope to keep working in academia.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
major in beer drinking and minor in burping the alphabet

And what has it got me? I am still here !

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Masters in History
Bachelors in Education.
Highest degree right now is an MA (in history). I'm currently in grad school again, working on the PhD and will hopefully be done by 2021. I love school though and hope to keep working in academia.

Just out of curiosity, what were your research interests or concentrations for your M.A.?

Mine was in ancient history and classical antiquity. I went to a Catholic high school where they still taught Latin and placed a heavy emphasis on classics. It's where my interests in history and literature emerged. In fact I almost considered majoring in Classics, but decided on teaching at the secondary level where it just didn't seem practical. (It was hard enough finding work as a dual-certified English/History teacher, you know?) Still, that interest never left me.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just out of curiosity, what were your research interests or concentrations for your M.A.?

Mine was in ancient history and classical antiquity. I went to a Catholic high school where they still taught Latin and placed a heavy emphasis on classics. It's where my interests in history and literature emerged. In fact I almost considered majoring in Classics, but decided on teaching at the secondary level where it just didn't seem practical. (It was hard enough finding work as a dual-certified English/History teacher, you know?) Still, that interest never left me.

Hello, fellow Latinist! :hi:

Broadly speaking, I'm a historian of the Middle Ages in Europe. My dissertation will probably focus on some aspect of Italian religious culture in the High Middle Ages but have secondary interests in France and England. I was an early medievalist when I got my master's with a particular interest in the Merovingian Gaul—it was a PhD program but I was battling depression at the time and had a hard time sticking with it so I ended up leaving with an MA. Back in grad school again (a different one though) for the PhD.

The practicality of my decision occasionally haunts me particularly because the job market is so terrible right now. That said, my department has pretty good placement rates so I'm just gonna keep doing what I have to do and hope for the best. I've put most of my eggs in this basket so I have to keep going now, lol.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello, fellow Latinist! :hi:

Heus. :nice:

Actually my Latin is downright awful these days, but what I do remember comes in handy. I play a game with my students where they bring in words that they find in newspapers and try to stump me with them. Knowing Latin roots really helps.

Broadly speaking, I'm a historian of the Middle Ages in Europe. My dissertation will probably focus on some aspect of Italian religious culture in the High Middle Ages but have secondary interests in France and England. I was an early medievalist when I got my master's with a particular interest in the Merovingian Gaul—it was a PhD program but I was battling depression at the time and had a hard time sticking with it so I ended up leaving with an MA. Back in grad school again (a different one though) for the PhD.

Very, very cool. The Middle Ages would have been my second choice for research interest. It's one of my favorite time periods to teach in History or English. Love teaching Chaucer.

The practicality of my decision occasionally haunts me particularly because the job market is so terrible right now. That said, my department has pretty good placement rates so I'm just gonna keep doing what I have to do and hope for the best. I've put most of my eggs in this basket so I have to keep going now, lol.

Hang in there! Trust me, it'll be worth it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
BAs in Political Science, Sociology and Spanish

don't use any of them except some spanish :shrug:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I got 3 BAs in one go through college... also had 4 minors in that time :)

it's possible, but most people have more sense than to do it

I imagine you more like that degree:

Is that right or is there more soul?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went to a public high school that still taught Latin - took 3 years of it. Sad that it is so seldom taught any longer. It really does provide a solid foundation for any language study, and much of history as well.

One of my favorite classes as an undergrad was called Medieval Drama in its Social Context. We studied things like the Play of Daniel (went to see a live performance of it as well), and I wrote my term paper on three plays about St Nicholas - handed it in just before Christmas. Later took a class on medieval and early modern Russia - Alexander Nevsky, etc.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Broadly speaking, I'm a historian of the Middle Ages in Europe.

I forgot to ask, do you know your MBTI type? I saw that [MENTION=32163]Littleclaypot[/MENTION] is an INFJ, and I'm an ENTJ myself. I've always suspected that my Ni is a big reason I was drawn to study history. I'm just wondering if that's true for others.