User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your highest level of education?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • No diploma yet

3 3.37%
  • High school diploma or GED

2 2.25%
  • Some college

24 26.97%
  • Bachelor's Degree

27 30.34%
  • Master's Degree

22 24.72%
  • Doctoral Degree

6 6.74%
  • Other (please specify)

5 5.62%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Vinum View Post
    I forgot to ask, do you know your MBTI type? I saw that @Littleclaypot is an INFJ, and I'm an ENTJ myself. I've always suspected that my Ni is a big reason I was drawn to study history. I'm just wondering if that's true for others.
    I love history and I'm sure I would have studied it but, yanno, I had to pay bills. Maybe when I'm done working but I would agree it's the N. So I'll have to settle with reading excessively on the subject.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I love history and I'm sure I would have studied it but, yanno, I had to pay bills.
    Absolutely. I only got the M.A. because it bumped my pay scale as a teacher and gave me the opportunity to make extra cash teaching a college class on the side. I wouldn't have pursued it otherwise.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Graduated last December in history, English and Latin (I think roughly equivalent to M.A. in English and history and B.A. in Latin).
    I'm currently working as a teacher at a school while receiving further training (a required 18-month period with additional oral exams, papers and graded demonstration lessons that is required before getting tenure).
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I forgot about BD9/11
    All of those warnings to never forget were in vain
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes senza tema, ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/so

B.A. in History
    -Minor in Japanese
    Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time - Marthe Troly-Curtin,

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Vinum View Post
    I forgot to ask, do you know your MBTI type? I saw that @Littleclaypot is an INFJ, and I'm an ENTJ myself. I've always suspected that my Ni is a big reason I was drawn to study history. I'm just wondering if that's true for others.
    I don't really believe in MBTI anymore. However, my last self-typing was ISFP or INFP.

Let me help u with this geedoenfj's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

A diploma in Banking and financial studies, didn't want it, didn't like it..
    I have an intention to study special education, autism.. I have a pretty good experience and also self-taught a lot of stuff regarding that..
    “You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.”
    - Naguib Mahfouz

6w7 > 1w2 > 2w3

Likes Abendrot liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Hello, fellow Latinist!

Broadly speaking, I'm a historian of the Middle Ages in Europe. My dissertation will probably focus on some aspect of Italian religious culture in the High Middle Ages but have secondary interests in France and England. I was an early medievalist when I got my master's with a particular interest in the Merovingian Gaul—it was a PhD program but I was battling depression at the time and had a hard time sticking with it so I ended up leaving with an MA. Back in grad school again (a different one though) for the PhD.

The practicality of my decision occasionally haunts me particularly because the job market is so terrible right now. That said, my department has pretty good placement rates so I'm just gonna keep doing what I have to do and hope for the best. I've put most of my eggs in this basket so I have to keep going now, lol.
    I think that's some pretty interesting stuff you're working on, but something I wouldn't want to get into myself - frankly, I think that medieval history is a mess
    In the medieval part of my oral history exam for the finals (which didn't go over too well, although the medieval history examiner was the best of the bunch), I chose Frederick Barbarossa as my minor and mendicant orders as my major subject, and while it's not something I'd want to get into further, I think I can see its appeal, and I have the greatest respect for medievalists in general, not least because I think that it's almost impossible to even come close to having a broad overview of the period in general because so much is happening in so many places all the time, and it all seems interconnected, while at the same time the whole mentality is either so alien from a modern mindset, or at least from my own. I just find it hard to get a grasp on it.
    Out of curiosity, why did you choose your subject in the first place?
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-
    Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I think that's some pretty interesting stuff you're working on, but something I wouldn't want to get into myself - frankly, I think that medieval history is a mess
    In the medieval part of my oral history exam for the finals (which didn't go over too well, although the medieval history examiner was the best of the bunch), I chose Frederick Barbarossa as my minor and mendicant orders as my major subject, and while it's not something I'd want to get into further, I think I can see its appeal, and I have the greatest respect for medievalists in general, not least because I think that it's almost impossible to even come close to having a broad overview of the period in general because so much is happening in so many places all the time, and it all seems interconnected, while at the same time the whole mentality is either so alien from a modern mindset, or at least from my own. I just find it hard to get a grasp on it.
    Out of curiosity, why did you choose your subject in the first place?
    I think many historians are drawn to their fields because they like the amount of evidence that's available to them. The European Middle Ages hit a kind of Goldilocks spot for me; there's not so much evidence that it leaves no room for imagination but not so little that I feel like I have nothing to work with. I also like the strangeness since it challenges my storytelling capacities.

That said, I wouldn't have developed these predilections if it weren't for my mentors, who are fine scholars and inspirational teachers. It's really 90 percent their fault.
    Likes Mad Hatter, Carpe Vinum liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

@Mad Hatter I remember you being a classicist and also studying Greek. Is that what you recently finished?

I have a lot of respect for classical education in Germany and your rigorously philological approach. Super impressive.

Greek just makes me want to kill myself.