• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your highest level of education?

What is your highest level of education?

• No diploma yet

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • High school diploma or GED

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Some college

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Bachelor's Degree

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Master's Degree

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Doctoral Degree

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I forgot to ask, do you know your MBTI type? I saw that [MENTION=32163]Littleclaypot[/MENTION] is an INFJ, and I'm an ENTJ myself. I've always suspected that my Ni is a big reason I was drawn to study history. I'm just wondering if that's true for others.

I love history and I'm sure I would have studied it but, yanno, I had to pay bills. Maybe when I'm done working but I would agree it's the N. So I'll have to settle with reading excessively on the subject.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love history and I'm sure I would have studied it but, yanno, I had to pay bills.

Absolutely. I only got the M.A. because it bumped my pay scale as a teacher and gave me the opportunity to make extra cash teaching a college class on the side. I wouldn't have pursued it otherwise.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Graduated last December in history, English and Latin (I think roughly equivalent to M.A. in English and history and B.A. in Latin).
I'm currently working as a teacher at a school while receiving further training (a required 18-month period with additional oral exams, papers and graded demonstration lessons that is required before getting tenure).

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to ask, do you know your MBTI type? I saw that [MENTION=32163]Littleclaypot[/MENTION] is an INFJ, and I'm an ENTJ myself. I've always suspected that my Ni is a big reason I was drawn to study history. I'm just wondering if that's true for others.

I don't really believe in MBTI anymore. However, my last self-typing was ISFP or INFP.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A diploma in Banking and financial studies, didn't want it, didn't like it..
I have an intention to study special education, autism.. I have a pretty good experience and also self-taught a lot of stuff regarding that..

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello, fellow Latinist! :hi:

Broadly speaking, I'm a historian of the Middle Ages in Europe. My dissertation will probably focus on some aspect of Italian religious culture in the High Middle Ages but have secondary interests in France and England. I was an early medievalist when I got my master's with a particular interest in the Merovingian Gaul—it was a PhD program but I was battling depression at the time and had a hard time sticking with it so I ended up leaving with an MA. Back in grad school again (a different one though) for the PhD.

The practicality of my decision occasionally haunts me particularly because the job market is so terrible right now. That said, my department has pretty good placement rates so I'm just gonna keep doing what I have to do and hope for the best. I've put most of my eggs in this basket so I have to keep going now, lol.

I think that's some pretty interesting stuff you're working on, but something I wouldn't want to get into myself - frankly, I think that medieval history is a mess :laugh:
In the medieval part of my oral history exam for the finals (which didn't go over too well, although the medieval history examiner was the best of the bunch), I chose Frederick Barbarossa as my minor and mendicant orders as my major subject, and while it's not something I'd want to get into further, I think I can see its appeal, and I have the greatest respect for medievalists in general, not least because I think that it's almost impossible to even come close to having a broad overview of the period in general because so much is happening in so many places all the time, and it all seems interconnected, while at the same time the whole mentality is either so alien from a modern mindset, or at least from my own. I just find it hard to get a grasp on it.
Out of curiosity, why did you choose your subject in the first place?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's some pretty interesting stuff you're working on, but something I wouldn't want to get into myself - frankly, I think that medieval history is a mess :laugh:
In the medieval part of my oral history exam for the finals (which didn't go over too well, although the medieval history examiner was the best of the bunch), I chose Frederick Barbarossa as my minor and mendicant orders as my major subject, and while it's not something I'd want to get into further, I think I can see its appeal, and I have the greatest respect for medievalists in general, not least because I think that it's almost impossible to even come close to having a broad overview of the period in general because so much is happening in so many places all the time, and it all seems interconnected, while at the same time the whole mentality is either so alien from a modern mindset, or at least from my own. I just find it hard to get a grasp on it.
Out of curiosity, why did you choose your subject in the first place?

I think many historians are drawn to their fields because they like the amount of evidence that's available to them. The European Middle Ages hit a kind of Goldilocks spot for me; there's not so much evidence that it leaves no room for imagination but not so little that I feel like I have nothing to work with. I also like the strangeness since it challenges my storytelling capacities.

That said, I wouldn't have developed these predilections if it weren't for my mentors, who are fine scholars and inspirational teachers. It's really 90 percent their fault.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8444]Mad Hatter[/MENTION] I remember you being a classicist and also studying Greek. Is that what you recently finished?

I have a lot of respect for classical education in Germany and your rigorously philological approach. Super impressive.

Greek just makes me want to kill myself.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
I have a high school diploma and I've taken a few courses at a local community college.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds at least as real as a degree in gender studies.
By what criteria?

You are, of course, comparing apples and oranges: academic degrees conferred by established universities vs. lessons learned in life's School of Hard Knocks.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
By what criteria?

You are, of course, comparing apples and oranges: academic degrees conferred by established universities vs. lessons learned in life's School of Hard Knocks.

By the criteria of usefulness. I also have a BA in mechanical engineering but it was pretty much a waste of time and money. My opinion of the education system is low to say the least. The whole thing needs a major overhaul from the ground up.

Taibreah

Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications

Don't know what I was thinking. I don't even remember most of what I learned.
I probably would have been better suited to major in an arts degree.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8444]Mad Hatter[/MENTION] I remember you being a classicist and also studying Greek. Is that what you recently finished?

I have a lot of respect for classical education in Germany and your rigorously philological approach. Super impressive.

Greek just makes me want to kill myself.

My Greek course was quite some time ago, and I've forgotten most of the grammar (most horrible verb system ever invented). The thing that's still fun is recognizing words I've learned, and it's cool for etymology, but despite good resolutions every now and then to brush up, I've basically given up and I'm glad I don't really need it anymore. Maybe some day, I'll give the Greek bible another try, but attic Greek is as dead to me as the people who spoke it.

I started learning Greek first out of interest and for fun (little did I know!) and because I thought it might be necessary for studying Latin.
If you want to graduate from university with Latin as a major subject, you have to have a certificate in Greek which you can get in high school, provided that you have Greek classes (but it's such a rare subject, nobody I know ever did this). Most people attend a two-semester university course and do the written and oral exam and get a certificate that's basically a supplement to their high school diploma. (Latin works the same way for those who need it - studends of history, any romance language, and I think still the case for medicine -, but who didn't or couldn't do it at school. You have to have two foreign languages - almost always English, plus either French or Latin, or sometimes Spanish. My dad strongly urged me to choose French - rightly so -, but I've been interested in Latin and was glad that I had the chance to learn it later on.

I've recently finished Latin as a "voluntary third subject". If you want to get into higher secondary education (i.e. the highest of the three-tier German high school system that allows you to go to college), you have to have two subjects, and a third one if you like. It's not mandatory, and you can either choose it as a full subject, or with reduced requirements, which only allows you to teach till tenth grade (but not the final two grades).

What are you currently doing in Greek? (And I wonder - have you ever done something in Byzantine Grreek?)

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a high school diploma and I've taken a few courses at a local community college.

Me too! I'm knocking out a ton of courses for my nutrition degree at a community college because classes there are half the price! :) I've got 52 credits done and just another 26 to go and then I'm going to transfer to the four-year university and finish up the last 3 semesters there. :)

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm currently a college student going for a B.S. in Psychology. I'd love to get my Masters once I graduate.