• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Want to strangle a coworker or client - Tell us Why ! Share !

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eep sounds like a tough situation. :(

Um, I think some of my coworkers want to strangle me because I'm a klutz. Luckily I work alone a lot, which keeps death threats at a minimum. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had my fair share of experiences, but never really wanted to strangle them.

It's more like I am momentarily frustrated, then feel sorry for them for not having any functioning brain cells. If I was like that, I'd despair my life, it must be really hard for them.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you get the opportunity to see him in person, you may want to consider doing a Dick Jones. The video explains.

Execution is critical but it's only a 'multiplier' of what's already there, so you need to have some tough guy cred first in order to leverage.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I once had a client who was kind of like this... and it boiled down to this person not liking me because my ideas were proven better than hers (my ideas for her ad were a success; what she had wanted bombed), and I once corrected grammar in ad copy she sent (as a part of my job...I am supposed to proof read and make corrections to anything going to print for the public eye). After that, she would find something wrong with everything I did and would forward emails to everybody to try and...I don't know what, "expose" me?

So I started sending her emails from a generic account and did not sign my name (instead of my_name @ companyname.com, it would be like department_name @ companyname.com). I let her assume it was from someone else. When she would call, my coworker would take the call and then pass info to me as needed. After that, everything I sent her was wonderful! I got immediate approvals on all artwork, no forwarding "errors" to other people, etc. I knew I wasn't paranoid, because once I forgot and sent her something from the email with my name, and sure enough, she immediately reverted back to her old tactics.

Basically, people like this are threatened by you, and there is no way to openly "win" because winning increases their sense of threat, so then they just up the ante. I find ways to placate them rather than get caught up in the "I know better than you do" game. I let them feel like they are in charge.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I have met enough lawyers to know that this thread is named poorly. For the sake of everyone here, please consider changing the title.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I once had a client who was kind of like this... and it boiled down to this person not liking me because my ideas were proven better than hers (my ideas for her ad were a success; what she had wanted bombed), and I once corrected grammar in ad copy she sent (as a part of my job...I am supposed to proof read and make corrections to anything going to print for the public eye). After that, she would find something wrong with everything I did and would forward emails to everybody to try and...I don't know what, "expose" me?

So I started sending her emails from a generic account and did not sign my name (instead of my_name @ companyname.com, it would be like department_name @ companyname.com). I let her assume it was from someone else. When she would call, my coworker would take the call and then pass info to me as needed. After that, everything I sent her was wonderful! I got immediate approvals on all artwork, no forwarding "errors" to other people, etc. I knew I wasn't paranoid, because once I forgot and sent her something from the email with my name, and sure enough, she immediately reverted back to her old tactics.

Basically, people like this are threatened by you, and there is no way to openly "win" because winning increases their sense of threat, so then they just up the ante. I find ways to placate them rather than get caught up in the "I know better than you do" game. I let them feel like they are in charge.

But your oranges are bigger, aren't they? :D

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Well there were some changes since my OP, funnily enough I do more missions through an intermediary (and without my name being mentioned but I still write the emails and do the work) and it seems like its going much better.
So essentially I'm still the one doing the communication on key emails, still the one doing the work but somehow there's less problems - I think. We'll see how it goes.

Technically I don't really work with the guy anymore - but yet I still need to answer at least one / 3 emails from him a day on other matters and yes it's still that annoying "YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG" tone if you don't actually read the content of the emails properly (when it becomes clear that he's the one fucking up).

For example we've been doing a paypal integration. Just on one little easy point I've done tens of times in a day time I think they've been 15 email exchanges and 7 rounds of updates over 2 weeks just to add the fucking legal entity, address, contact phone number, email contact for a new overseas entity of theirs AS THEY HAD PROVIDED TO PAYPAL on the site (this info has to be mentioned on the site so that paypal activates the account - it's not brain surgery).
It's literaly 10 minutes of work for me which turned into 2.5 hours over several days. That's what I mean when I say the guy should never be a manager, he'd be great at annoying the fuck out of people to get their job done on time based on someone else's planning, but otherwise just. no.

We need to get rid of this idea that 'if you work hard' or 'if you're good at this' then you should get a promotion. That's the bane of most companies I've worked with. Being a good assistant or coordinator doesn't mean that you should be promoted to management. Team and / or project management require very specific skillsets and honestly the only reason why you'd put a coordinator type as manager on anything is if they have advanced technical knowledge in that field (so like an extremely good developer could add value in managing a team of developer EVEN if he's not a very good 'manager' because he'll save lots of time and money designing the products architecture etc.) in this case this guy doesn't. Maybe in 15 years, but not now.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Same person I coplained about before.

I mention having a hard time with patterns for ceramic things. I wasn't even complaining. I just laughed about it " Oh yeah, I'm bad at that!"
She got all...what's the term..when you pretend to hide a snippy comment with a joke and fool no one?
" Oh well aren't we all ( no, it's the insructors specialty) You don't get to be the only one!"

Just...shit like that. No matter how light-hearted, no on is allowed to say they are bad at/having a hard time something without her making some whiny -ass comment about " You're not the only one!" Like she actually thinks it' s some sort pity-match.
Then she acts like she's such a strong and wise old woman who's done/seen everything. Ugh. I wonder if it's a type-thing.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
My latest story:

This particular guy always sends emails with everyone in copy making it sound like I did something wrong for doing my job, ask for detailed timelines for iterative projects (so, by definition we can't have a precise timeline for this), makes every project he forces me to modify based on his vision crap etc. I'm a TAD fed up at this point as my usual strategy is to become that person's boss but I can't as we're not in the same office / company. And 50% of my billings are with this guy.

My ISTJ supervisor back during my internship used to do this to our clients.
As you can imagine, he was not fun to work under, even though he really liked me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So there is a girl at work.

A lazy girl who often leaves work unfinished so others have to do it (mainly the delivery for the bakery which she shares with myself and another girl along with just generally wasting time them leaving things by claiming she didn't have time to do them). This is, of course, not unique to any work place. There are always degrees of work in what you think you do & what you actually do.

The problem is exacerbated by this girl being unable to take ANY CRITICISM WHATSOEVER! On top of which she is generally quite unpleasant about others and regularly criticises their mistakes over the most minor of problems and tiny details. However she has been in the bakery for over a year, during which she was in constant contact with the lady who normally runs it (and who fully trained her) although this lady is now off for several months after an extensive shoulder operation. I had 1 day with this girl before being thrown in the deep end and had to learn everything on the fly under pressure from angry customers and her. And I've only done that part of the job for a month and a half.

Despite this I'm more well versed in how to order deliveries, check off incoming deliveries & everything else that's required for the job & somehow have ended up basically as the one most responsible for the running of the section. She didn't even bother to learn deliveries fully and merely let our normal baker take all the responsibility.

When she has ordered she often gets it wrong as (in a very notable and ongoing problem) when she ordered 36 cases of iced finger buns rather than 1. When you realise that you have to go through 3 check screens in order to confirm the amount and send the request....that's a bit baffling. However it's not this error (which takes up an entire cage in our limited freezer and which has cost us a lot of money) which bothers me the most, I understand mistakes happen & we all make them from time to time. I myself have made some massive fuck-ups at my other job besides this one and more than a few in this retail job.

No, what insults me the most is that she still has the sheer gall to insult and criticise (excessively & unhelpfully) the errors of others. If she made an effort to learn from hers and accept responsibility for them (incidentally her way of apologising for the iced fingers was to come to me as I was sorting our newspaper delivery of a morning and proceed to blame everybody else for her errors) I would be fine with it. I don't think less of her for any mistake, I think less of her for the complete lack of fairness, consideration & insight into the fact that she isn't the only inhabitant of a subjective realm of self.

And on top of this I have been to her firsthand a few times (including today) to ask her to empty deliveries & fill the bread boxes instead of leaving it for the next person in the bakery, amongst other issues, and I've done it without backstabbing or gossip (in contrast to her shit-stirring and moaning about me and others to the manager behind our backs) and in a calm and reasonable way, to try and induce a sense of working as some kind of a team rather than being at each other's throats all the time.

Today for example I quietly asked her to empty deliveries and not leave them because I had more than a few customers give me a lot of grief over items not being on the shelf because she hadn't trayed them up because she couldn't be bothered to go into the freezer and lift some boxes. So I had to do it, along with sorting out what hadn't been downstacked. She also creates problems by engaging in false obligations to customers.

As an example there is a pretty horrible old woman who comes in with a terrible attitude. She demanded that we save her two cheese twists (89p) on a Friday because she would be in on that day at 9:30am every week. Well heres the thing, I know that this girl isn't saving any extra back for her because of the stock levels, so she's baking 10 like normal, but keeping 2 back for this demanding and ungrateful individual. However if that woman comes in and there are still two or more left then she can buy two then and it's the same profit, but if she comes in and there isn't any, well we don't bake throughout the day so we've still made the same money. And from what I've seen she doesn't even come in at a consistent time as she professed. Instead she came in at 11:07am last Friday and proceeded to rant at me about not having her twists ready. I politely pointed out that A) I'd not been told & B) it's not worth my time as expressed above. I have enough responsibilities as it is without having to remember petty stuff like that for customers who I don't like and who don't contribute much anyway.

Like I said: She just creates problems.

There's another issue in that her perception of her own worth and work ethic is completely out of proportion to the reality and her reactions to any kind of critique or advice are instantaneous and volatile. In today's episode I had only got part way through the sentence of "Please could you sort out the delivery when it comes in as it makes the job easier for the next per.." "I HAVEN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT, IT'S ONLY A SMALL DELIVERY" *eyes start welling up with tears*.

Now I could feel myself getting sucked into her amygdala hijack so after I'd brought some things up about her moaning about others when she makes worse mistakes, I mentally stepped back and left it at that (especially since her defence appeared to consist of trying to turn the conversation into a court hearing "when did I do that then, huh?" "When did that happen, be specific" *chapter and verse* and I don't play that bullshit game). So now I've got the eggshell tension treatment for the next few days, which is infuriating when I was trying to be reasonable about something that is so unreasonable (in terms of the problems she creates for myself and others in the bakery). One of the reasons I walked out of my last retail job was because going the direct, non-passive aggressive & non-backstabbing manipulative route to solve interpersonal work issues didn't get any results, but it's the method I understand & use because I see the others as having long-term, corrosive effects on the work environment. And for larger reasons of knock-on stress spreading which I won't go into with this post.

That and I consider it the decent thing to do.

There actually was another girl who has now left to work in human resources who used to come to me on Sunday practically in tears of rage because this other girl had left her with all the delivery and the boxes to fill and she suffered from a chronic bad back. I used to help her sort it out when I could get off the till.

This is an ongoing problem and even the manager has had conflict with her (resulting in more of her crying and more eggshells). Frankly I think he should be doing something more to solve it or else the HR girl won't be the only person who left quite quickly.

I hate upsetting people too, largely because the emotional unsettlement affects my ability to perform, not so much from a caring of whether people like me (in fact I'd prefer neutral to anything), but because I can't seem to shut out other's emotional energy very well. Having said that I respect that you have to go through conflicts and confrontation as a bit of a right of passage, not to mention a fair bit of criticism (in which case take on the helpful and learn from it while shutting out the unhelpful). But over something as insignificant as this.....it just bothers me.

I just want to work days where the only issues are my own mistakes and the external variables of customers/outside world.

I'm exhausted with this shit.

PS: I know that in these matters it's easy to forget that this is only a slanted perspective from my position, but I would be fascinated to hear her side of the story and see how she perceives the issue.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
New lady at the studio.

One of the many Israeli women-are ceramics a big thing wit them? because they out-number even the Indian housewives-most of them are very friendly, happy people. This bitch, I have no idea what her problem is but she certainly...breaks that mold ( no pun intended)
I realize I have a biased against her because she reminds me of my deceased grandmother-that God-awful bright orange curly hair, thin and rough like a brillo-pad. Her stench makes me physically ill. She is clearly a chain-smoker who thinks that bathing in cheap perfume covers up the stench-it doesn't. Never says "Thank you" or "excuse me" always in my personal space.

But worst of all was when I realized that has the mentality of a Goddamned toddler.

She has decided the corn starch is hers. She grabs at the beginning of the day and keeps it with at all times. I walked over and took it. She spun around and shrieked at me- yes, shrieked, her expression that of at toddler about to tear up and throw a temper tantrum " I NEEEED THAAAT!"

It was not the only time. Don't recall exactly, I think someone took a small amount of glaze from the larger bucket that she had taken all for herself. " I WAS USING THAAAAAAT!"

Being an art studio, there are a handful of common irritating behaviors but behavior like a fucking child is not one that I tolerate-not even from children.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
New lady at the studio.

One of the many Israeli women-are ceramics a big thing wit them? because they out-number even the Indian housewives-most of them are very friendly, happy people. This bitch, I have no idea what her problem is but she certainly...breaks that mold ( no pun intended)
I realize I have a biased against her because she reminds me of my deceased grandmother-that God-awful bright orange curly hair, thin and rough like a brillo-pad. Her stench makes me physically ill. She is clearly a chain-smoker who thinks that bathing in cheap perfume covers up the stench-it doesn't. Never says "Thank you" or "excuse me" always in my personal space.

But worst of all was when I realized that has the mentality of a Goddamned toddler.

She has decided the corn starch is hers. She grabs at the beginning of the day and keeps it with at all times. I walked over and took it. She spun around and shrieked at me- yes, shrieked, her expression that of at toddler about to tear up and throw a temper tantrum " I NEEEED THAAAT!"

It was not the only time. Don't recall exactly, I think someone took a small amount of glaze from the larger bucket that she had taken all for herself. " I WAS USING THAAAAAAT!"

Being an art studio, there are a handful of common irritating behaviors but behavior like a fucking child is not one that I tolerate-not even from children.

Okey super late answer, sorry, wasn't subscribed to the thread :laugh: what, wait I feel like I've missed part of the conversation here, Not sure what the overall context is.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
So there is a girl at work.

A lazy girl who often leaves work unfinished so others have to do it (mainly the delivery for the bakery which she shares with myself and another girl along with just generally wasting time them leaving things by claiming she didn't have time to do them). This is, of course, not unique to any work place. There are always degrees of work in what you think you do & what you actually do.

The problem is exacerbated by this girl being unable to take ANY CRITICISM WHATSOEVER! On top of which she is generally quite unpleasant about others and regularly criticises their mistakes over the most minor of problems and tiny details. However she has been in the bakery for over a year, during which she was in constant contact with the lady who normally runs it (and who fully trained her) although this lady is now off for several months after an extensive shoulder operation. I had 1 day with this girl before being thrown in the deep end and had to learn everything on the fly under pressure from angry customers and her. And I've only done that part of the job for a month and a half.
Wait so you just got started on the job? The situation seems unpleasant. If you are new how do you know that she does indeed fuck things up? (trying to understand the situation better)

Despite this I'm more well versed in how to order deliveries, check off incoming deliveries & everything else that's required for the job & somehow have ended up basically as the one most responsible for the running of the section. She didn't even bother to learn deliveries fully and merely let our normal baker take all the responsibility.
What is required for deliveries ? I mean what is she missing in your opinion?

No, what insults me the most is that she still has the sheer gall to insult and criticise (excessively & unhelpfully) the errors of others. If she made an effort to learn from hers and accept responsibility for them (incidentally her way of apologising for the iced fingers was to come to me as I was sorting our newspaper delivery of a morning and proceed to blame everybody else for her errors) I would be fine with it. I don't think less of her for any mistake, I think less of her for the complete lack of fairness, consideration & insight into the fact that she isn't the only inhabitant of a subjective realm of self.

And on top of this I have been to her firsthand a few times (including today) to ask her to empty deliveries & fill the bread boxes instead of leaving it for the next person in the bakery, amongst other issues, and I've done it without backstabbing or gossip (in contrast to her shit-stirring and moaning about me and others to the manager behind our backs) and in a calm and reasonable way, to try and induce a sense of working as some kind of a team rather than being at each other's throats all the time.

I think we are all tempted to blame external factors for our mistakes, It's an easy out I mean and I have to constantly question myself as to avoid doing it myself. But yeah the way you describe it she seems like an ass. she can't learn if she doesn't take her share of responsibility. I especially hate how these type of ppl fuck up team moral and create 'politics' in teams. They usually end up costing more to the company than they provide by increasing turnover, lowering moral and productivity etc. but it's hard to fire them in the west (because of all the employment protection etc.) because it's hard to pinpoint a 'specific damage' they've caused. Annoying as fuck.

Today for example I quietly asked her to empty deliveries and not leave them because I had more than a few customers give me a lot of grief over items not being on the shelf because she hadn't trayed them up because she couldn't be bothered to go into the freezer and lift some boxes. So I had to do it, along with sorting out what hadn't been downstacked. She also creates problems by engaging in false obligations to customers.

As an example there is a pretty horrible old woman who comes in with a terrible attitude. She demanded that we save her two cheese twists (89p) on a Friday because she would be in on that day at 9:30am every week. Well heres the thing, I know that this girl isn't saving any extra back for her because of the stock levels, so she's baking 10 like normal, but keeping 2 back for this demanding and ungrateful individual. However if that woman comes in and there are still two or more left then she can buy two then and it's the same profit, but if she comes in and there isn't any, well we don't bake throughout the day so we've still made the same money. And from what I've seen she doesn't even come in at a consistent time as she professed. Instead she came in at 11:07am last Friday and proceeded to rant at me about not having her twists ready. I politely pointed out that A) I'd not been told & B) it's not worth my time as expressed above. I have enough responsibilities as it is without having to remember petty stuff like that for customers who I don't like and who don't contribute much anyway.

No opinion here, it just depends on customer relationships etc. I know I keep coming back to businesses which did me a 'favor' at some time. Though I see these as exceptions and would never make it a habit to ask for undue 'favors' as I would see that as horribly obnoxious.
Like I said: She just creates problems.

There's another issue in that her perception of her own worth and work ethic is completely out of proportion to the reality and her reactions to any kind of critique or advice are instantaneous and volatile. In today's episode I had only got part way through the sentence of "Please could you sort out the delivery when it comes in as it makes the job easier for the next per.." "I HAVEN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT, IT'S ONLY A SMALL DELIVERY" *eyes start welling up with tears*.

Now I could feel myself getting sucked into her amygdala hijack so after I'd brought some things up about her moaning about others when she makes worse mistakes, I mentally stepped back and left it at that (especially since her defence appeared to consist of trying to turn the conversation into a court hearing "when did I do that then, huh?" "When did that happen, be specific" *chapter and verse* and I don't play that bullshit game). So now I've got the eggshell tension treatment for the next few days, which is infuriating when I was trying to be reasonable about something that is so unreasonable (in terms of the problems she creates for myself and others in the bakery). One of the reasons I walked out of my last retail job was because going the direct, non-passive aggressive & non-backstabbing manipulative route to solve interpersonal work issues didn't get any results, but it's the method I understand & use because I see the others as having long-term, corrosive effects on the work environment. And for larger reasons of knock-on stress spreading which I won't go into with this post.
That and I consider it the decent thing to do.

Agreed, I hate politics. It's a cancer in any organization. Getting the wrong people in positions of power - only increasing office politics etc. I've always made it a point to fire people who confuse 'productivity' with 'popularity'.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My ISTJ supervisor back during my internship used to do this to our clients.
As you can imagine, he was not fun to work under, even though he really liked me.

ew, I think ENTP and ISTJ (except if there's some personal compatibility) is like putting Ripley and a Xenomorph in a room and expecting it to go well for everyone.
My existence seems to irk ISTJs as soon as I come close to their 'circle of power/competence'. I question/poke-holes-in or ignore all their rules but still manage to get the thing done - which must be some kind of ego-disturbing heresy for them or something.

I had an ESTJ boss at some point, not the same but same ballpark. She'd always try to make me come in on time etc. etc. and other silly shit like that (my job didn't require me to be there at a specific hour - just to get the job done) when I was one of the main reason why she got hired and drew a salary in the first place. (I had genuinely been a major factor in keeping that company afloat before her being hired). So I ignored her rules and kept on with my job which seemed to drive her insane.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We have two main supervisors at my work and the man makes me feel like he cannot stand me, but I think he is actually unhappy and ego-compromised in his life. I have had some weirdness with co-workers, but I am more distant now with them and it mostly fixes the problem.

Fortunately I have the option of avoiding people at work for the most part. My responsibilities are mostly compartmentalized. This is horrible perhaps, but when someone in a position of power does rake me over the coals, I'll listen and apply the changes that seem reasonable and possible, but I mostly smile and nod while they talk to me and then go do what makes sense to me. I'm very responsible with what I need to do, but I'm not great at pressuring other people to comply with programs. I'm not good at 'making' my student enter competitions, juries, evaluations, testing, etc. They have their huge piano testing program during the same month the kids have to take all of those standardized tests at school. I can't pressure the kids to take more tests and even feel it is questionable from a kindness/ethics standpoint.