• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best masters after getting a BA in General Studies

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
>$70,000 a year

Once you pass 100,000 a year, that is more the "wealthy beyond all reason" catagory.

I find it fascinating that most think $100k plus is wealthy. When i got my first apartment while at community college my dad signed for me and the people flipped that he made 10k a month. He worked his ass off. 7 days a week, 12 hour days. And still always had time for us. My mom had a good job, but we didnt live rich.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find it fascinating that most think $100k plus is wealthy. When i got my first apartment while at community college my dad signed for me and the people flipped that he made 10k a month. He worked his ass off. 7 days a week, 12 hour days. And still always had time for us. My mom had a good job, but we didnt live rich.
wow.

you know, even if I had that money, I wouldn't live different that I would making about 70k. I did the math, and I could pay for everything I both need and want at that level. Anything beyond that would either go straight to the bank or to spontaneous acts of charity.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

It's considered the very bottom of upper middle class. It's not wealthy - not by a long shot.

America's upper middle class is thriving - Jun. 21, 2016

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's considered the very bottom of upper middle class. It's not wealthy - not by a long shot.

I don't come from money, and those are sums I will likely never acheive in my life. Just getting to middle class will be an acheivement, but I want to be upper middle class so I don't have to worry anymore.

What kind of engineering is best to pursue? I do well in math, so long as I can write down the equation on paper.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't come from money, and those are sums I will likely never acheive in my life. Just getting to middle class will be an acheivement, but I want to be upper middle class so I don't have to worry anymore.

What kind of engineering is best to pursue? I do well in math, so long as I can write down the equation on paper.

My son is focusing on chemical engineering. My husband started with mechanical engineering and switched to physics. I have no idea what would be best for you but petroleum engineering is probably the highest paid.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Raises for one thing is a huge difference. 4% raise at 20k over 5 years takes it to 24333. Gain of just over 4k. For someone who makes $100k a 4% raise over 5 years jumps the pay up to 121665. Just over $21k more. For $200k thats just over $43k in raises over the same 5 years. All went up 4% over 5 years.

I tried to explain this to my son why a good job makes a HUGE difference.

I consider $200k upper class. I am use to living below means so that plays into my idea of upper class.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Raises for one thing is a huge difference. 4% raise at 20k over 5 years takes it to 24333. Gain of just over 4k. For someone who makes $100k a 4% raise over 5 years jumps the pay up to 121665. Just over $21k more. For $200k thats just over $43k in raises over the same 5 years. All went up 4% over 5 years.

I tried to explain this to my son why a good job makes a HUGE difference.

I consider $200k upper class. I am use to living below means so that plays into my idea of upper class.

I don't even think I could spend $200k in a year if I wanted to. 70k covers my own desires, and anything beyond that would just be building wealth and buying peace of mind.

All

Try they navy, they'll pay for it. Bio-statistics is #1 according to Forbes Statistics Engineering Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Computer Science Information System Management Speech-Language Pathology Worst Criminal Justice is #1 Architecture Theology Elementary Education Art History Journalism Library Science Construction Management Sports Management
Why architecture is worst?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I remember being fresh out of high school and a Navy recruiter talked me into coming to his office. I told him I had asthma and he said that it automatically disqualifies me from serving in the armed forces. Then he told me that if I could make it two weeks without my medication for some type of training and just lie during my physical, once I got in, they would just start paying for my asthma med. Then he tells me has ADD and burned his parents house down when he was ten, but he still got in, it will be fine. Haha.

Anyways, if you are in the US, here is a link you might find helpful.

Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

It will give you their latest data on predicted growth, wages and general information about a boatload of occupations. Good luck. Also, don't forget to pick something you actually like so you don't end up hating life later.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember being fresh out of high school and a Navy recruiter talked me into coming to his office. I told him I had asthma and he said that it automatically disqualifies me from serving in the armed forces. Then he told me that if I could make it two weeks without my medication for some type of training and just lie during my physical, once I got in, they would just start paying for my asthma med. Then he tells me has ADD and burned his parents house down when he was ten, but he still got in, it will be fine. Haha.

Anyways, if you are in the US, here is a link you might find helpful.

Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

It will give you their latest data on predicted growth, wages and general information about a boatload of occupations. Good luck. Also, don't forget to pick something you actually like so you don't end up hating life later.
Probably going with a masters of social work. I'll go ahead and do the loan, then apply to be a military social worker.