12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Social Media and Careers

How does making an unanonymous social media account help and/or hurt your ability to get a job. Or does it even do anything at all? I'm asking this because I was wondering if I should start posting on my unanonymous twitter account.

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

A un-anonymous social media account can end your career, depending on what you post. Your social media footprint is more and more likely to be investigated when you apply for jobs too. And it may not be you but people you follow/friend that cause issues as well. I don't use FB for this reason, I'm careful about who I follow on Twitter and what I tweet (very minimal, less than a couple a year) and I use no other social media, except Linkedin, which is professional.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    A un-anonymous social media account can end your career, depending on what you post. Your social media footprint is more and more likely to be investigated when you apply for jobs too. And it may not be you but people you follow/friend that cause issues as well. I don't use FB for this reason, I'm careful about who I follow on Twitter and what I tweet (very minimal, less than a couple a year) and I use no other social media, except Linkedin, which is professional.
    I would certaintly be very careful, and not use it as liberally as my other accounts. Do you think it would be fine if I don't use one at all?

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    I would certaintly be very careful, and not use it as liberally as my other accounts. Do you think it would be fine if I don't use one at all?
    Why wouldn't it be fine if you didn't use one at all?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Why wouldn't it be fine if you didn't use one at all?
    Idk, I was just thinking that they would rather know what the people they hire were up to. That was more of an assumption on my part. Glad to hear that that shouldnt be an issue.

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Idk, I was just thinking that they would rather know what the people they hire were up to. That was more of an assumption on my part. Glad to hear that that shouldnt be an issue.
    The only thing I have ever heard professionally about my lack of social media footprint is surprise. Nothing negative.

They want to know if the people they hire are going to cause them negative attention/cost them money prior to being hired. It's far easier to simply not hire someone when it's very plain they are a fuck up. It's more messy to have to fire them for the same reason.

MBTI
    STP

We have strict rules about social media, to the point where we are not even suppose to put or mention our employer. If it is known in normal convo there is other stuff we are suppose to put. I only do Facebook and that is set to friends only. No worries, i dont even have alot of friends on there and most are family anyway.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Do you mind stating what field you're in? I wasn't aware that who you're associated with on social media could backfire. I, however, had the impression that lack of social media presence was a negative. Seems kind of counter-intuitive if employers want you to have a social media, but then require that you dress it up professionally; kind of defeats the purpose. I'm ofc talking about the more casual social media outlets, such as FB or Twitter. Linkedin is ofc a more professional oriented site.
    Healthcare IT.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I do not, and would not ever use my real name on any social media. Hell, I hardly use it at alll. It's a Goddamned plague that brings out the very worst in humanity. I have a FB to keep in touch with certain business and groups I cannot otherwise keep in touch with. That's it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If employers want to know what applicants are up to, they can ask, or research their references. A social media account is like letting a hiring supervisor listen in on your personal phone calls, and observe you at family gatherings, girls/guys night out, and other social events. This is none of their business, which is why it should not be public.

If an employer considers it a negative not to be on social media, then that is not an employer I want to work for.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Smilephantomhive, Yuu, Indigo Rodent liked this post