User Tag List

First 12

Remember, Humanity. A Radiant Dawn's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If employers want to know what applicants are up to, they can ask, or research their references. A social media account is like letting a hiring supervisor listen in on your personal phone calls, and observe you at family gatherings, girls/guys night out, and other social events. This is none of their business, which is why it should not be public.

If an employer considers it a negative not to be on social media, then that is not an employer I want to work for.
    I agree with this so hard.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

Today is the beginning, and tomorrow is the beginning of everything else.

March on, life's too grand to let things get you down for long. It's a beautiful place and we're so blessed to be here.

I am a person of fortune and I must seek my fortune.

My blog
    Likes Yuu, Jazzy Orchid liked this post

Senior Member Officer Ed Powell's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

The only social media that employers should be looking at is linkedin, since it's actually tailored to careers, job opportunities and professional networking. Were I a hiring manager, I'd have no desire to look at potential candidates' facebook. That's invasive. What they like or do in their life is irrelevant unless it affects their ability to perform their job duties competently. It should be illegal for companies to us people's social media posts when considering them as job candidates. Exceptions could be made for sites like linkedin.

As an aside, I never friend co-workers or bosses on facebook and I don't understand why so many people I work with do this. I also keep my account set so only people I've friended see my wall and posts. Although I rarely post or go on facebook anymore anyway and were it not for all of the distant friends and relatives it helps me stay in touch with, I'd probably delete my account.
    chaotic good.

fuck around and find out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    The only social media that employers should be looking at is linkedin, since it's actually tailored to careers, job opportunities and professional networking. Were I a hiring manager, I'd have no desire to look at potential candidates' facebook. That's invasive. What they like or do in their life is irrelevant unless it affects their ability to perform their job duties competently. It should be illegal for companies to us people's social media posts when considering them as job candidates. Exceptions could be made for sites like linkedin.

As an aside, I never friend co-workers or bosses on facebook and I don't understand why so many people I work with do this. I also keep my account set so only people I've friended see my wall and posts. Although I rarely post or go on facebook anymore anyway and were it not for all of the distant friends and relatives it helps me stay in touch with, I'd probably delete my account.
    LinkedIn has gotten bad in the last year or so, it's more and more like Facebook, I really wanted it to remain professional. But I agree that employers can and will go too far which is why workers should look to unions, not the government, to stop this invasive bullshit. It's going to continue to get worse the more authoritarian things become.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    LinkedIn has gotten bad in the last year or so, it's more and more like Facebook, I really wanted it to remain professional. But I agree that employers can and will go too far which is why workers should look to unions, not the government, to stop this invasive bullshit. It's going to continue to get worse the more authoritarian things become.
    Yeah, I've noticed people sharing more "cutesy" shit, inspirational quote type stuff, and a lot of posts that seem to verge on unprofessional. I keep mine very clean, just focus on keeping my job history up to date and easy to read. I don't really post, but I do occasionally go on and add people I work with or people I see in my field.
    chaotic good.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Even with marijuana being legalized in more and more states, I don't think that's something I'd be openly talking about on social media. Still kind of a taboo thing and has an association with laziness and forgetfulness, even though I know a lot of closet stoners that don't really come across as the stereotypical stoner type and are quite able to function in a professional setting.

For instance, one of my old bosses was married to a cop. And the comments I hear in passing from certain coworkers and higherups show there's still a lot of people who have a very negative view of marijuana, even though a lot of those same people will openly talk about getting shit faced and laugh about their alcohol-related stories.
    chaotic good.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    For instance, one of my old bosses was married to a cop. And the comments I hear in passing from certain coworkers and higherups show there's still a lot of people who have a very negative view of marijuana, even though a lot of those same people will openly talk about getting shit faced and laugh about their alcohol-related stories.
    Alcohol and interest are the mother and father of all evils. Pretty much everyone in high school thought marijuana should be legalized. we had a classroom discussion, and it ranged from legalizing and regulating marijuana and cannabis, to legalizing all drugs like portugal, and having someone guide you on a trip. still not for me though (to use). but back to the main topic, i only recently started using linkedin, but i can relate to it being cheesy. and not to mention i used to try to add friends and crushes on there. yeah.....not a good idea.
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

I never arrived at an interest in Social Media. I'm still in the who gives a fuck stage.
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.