• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are there jobs out there that pay well, are easy to get in to, but that nobody wants?

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
By the way, my Pharmacy Chain is CVS Pharmacy and I get 12.70/hour from them. Walgreens just offered me 13.25, but I'm fairly comfortable with CVS. 55 cents is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't want to piss off CVS or leave and have somebody take my place after something goes wrong at Walgreens. If I wasn't in school getting that degree I do not really want, I would just do both and keep them secret from each other, just calling each other, "my other job, and I'd rather not say where it is".

From what I hear, there is a nuclear compounding pharmacy (think radiation and clean rooms) that starts off techs at 18 an hour, but that only takes full time.

All in all, I have nothing bad to say about CVS besides just boredom due to nothing ever going wrong.
That sounds pretty standard for pharmacy techs so don't feel bad esp. if you enjoy it. I know someone who was a lab tech for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and I know they get paid really well and there are a lot of career growth options there too, just not really sure how you get into it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That sounds pretty standard for pharmacy techs so don't feel bad esp. if you enjoy it. I know someone who was a lab tech for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and I know they get paid really well and there are a lot of career growth options there too, just not really sure how you get into it.

My mom told me to do a dual enrollment with the technical college while I was in high school. I'm better off for it.

For somebody who is unhappy all the time, being neutral about CVS is actually pretty good. I have depression that is medicine and therapy resistant, so everything tends towards blah.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
My mom told me to do a dual enrollment with the technical college while I was in high school. I'm better off for it.

For somebody who is unhappy all the time, being neutral about CVS is actually pretty good. I have depression that is medicine and therapy resistant, so everything tends towards blah.
:hug: :hug: :hug: I'm really sorry to hear, do hang in there. I bet you you'll be able to find good options within the company itself anyway. :heart:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I live in a very depressed area. I'm almost scared to leave my pharmacy technician job, since though it is a purgatory, I know my place there. I was offered to go work for the competitor for 50 cents more, but I'm too busy getting a degree I don't actually want but feel obligated to get since I got a scholarship and my mom would be disappointed.

My advice would be to carry on working as you are. I know you are unhappy and that it sucks but trust me firstly get the business with the degree sorted out before you go anywhere as the first order of things is to make sure you are secure as the last thing you want to do is throw your degree away as it seems that you have had to work hard on it and then once your finish up see if you feel differently. You seem unhappy with your home environment and life (Read your profile but don't exactly know how unhappy you feel) and seek to go somewhere else to escape. Sorry if am making assumptions that are not correct and feel free to correct me on anything. I would consider your mothers opinion as she sounds like she has good judgment.

"I think you could stomach cleaning blood and guts as your avatar shows you to have a strong stomach".

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My advice would be to carry on working as you are. I know you are unhappy and that it sucks but trust me firstly get the business with the degree sorted out before you go anywhere as the first order of things is to make sure you are secure as the last thing you want to do is throw your degree away as it seems that you have had to work hard on it and then once your finish up see if you feel differently. You seem unhappy with your home environment and life (Read your profile but don't exactly know how unhappy you feel) and seek to go somewhere else to escape. Sorry if am making assumptions that are not correct and feel free to correct me on anything. I would consider your mothers opinion as she sounds like she has good judgment.

"I think you could stomach cleaning blood and guts as your avatar shows you to have a strong stomach".

I dozed off in an observation today and got banned from that school when I only have 1 hour left to observe to pass this one class. I'm looking around for other schools to get my last hour.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I dozed off in an observation today and got banned from that school when I only have 1 hour left to observe to pass this one class. I'm looking around for other schools to get my last hour.

You mean that you fell asleep during class and they banned you. I don't understand how schools work where you live but that seems harsh.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean that you fell asleep during class and they banned you. I don't understand how schools work where you live but that seems harsh.

I'm a student observer. I'm just glad I'm not in jail for not staying within all the guidelines of my contract. One of the clauses was not to sleep. Unless I find another school, I'll fail this class.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a student observer. I'm just glad I'm not in jail for not staying within all the guidelines of my contract. One of the clauses was not to sleep. Unless I find another school, I'll fail this class.

I don't know what to say as I don't know the systems in the place where you live but I hope you find a way out of this sticky situation you seem to be in. The laws where you live seem very draconian if you can go to jail for violating the guidelines of a contract. You live in Louisiana according to your profile which (no offense) I heard has a lot of weird and backwards laws and codes from what I have heard. I hope things get better for you for your sake:hug:. (I hope I didn't overwhelm you with the hug). Feel free to rant to myself or any others in anyway you want to.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know what to say as I don't know the systems in the place where you live but I hope you find a way out of this sticky situation you seem to be in. The laws where you live seem very draconian if you can go to jail for violating the guidelines of a contract. You live in Louisiana according to your profile which (no offense) I heard has a lot of weird and backwards laws and codes from what I have heard. I hope things get better for you for your sake:hug:. (I hope I didn't overwhelm you with the hug). Feel free to rant to myself or any others in anyway you want to.

I have to come up with a better excuse than staying up late to finish some homework, then dozing off while under a contract that had a no sleep clause. My city is not only depressed, but it is also the prison capital of the world. New Orleans is second only to us for most people locked up as a % of the population. We have for-profit prisons that make money from taxes the more people they lock up, and since bribery is one of the few things legal here that isn't elsewhere, they keep bribing local officials for stricter and stricter laws. One guy got life in prison for stealing $31 in candy bars. In my opinion, that should have only been a couple weeks at the most followed by a couple of weeks in rehab to get to the root of why they steal. We go way overboard.

New Orleans man faces life in prison for stealing candy bars - NY Daily News

We also have a philosophy around how the weak should serve the strong and strong laws sort out the weaklings into their proper order in life. People survive here on bribes and Faustian pacts with each other. That's why its a crime now to feed homeless people. You'll both get locked up for violating the natural order.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have to come up with a better excuse than staying up late to finish some homework, then dozing off while under a contract that had a no sleep clause. My city is not only depressed, but it is also the prison capital of the world. New Orleans is second only to us for most people locked up as a % of the population. We have for-profit prisons that make money from taxes the more people they lock up, and since bribery is one of the few things legal here that isn't elsewhere, they keep bribing local officials for stricter and stricter laws. One guy got life in prison for stealing $31 in candy bars. In my opinion, that should have only been a couple weeks at the most followed by a couple of weeks in rehab to get to the root of why they steal. We go way overboard.

I can see why you want to get the fuck out of where you live. Where you live seems the way you describe it to be a Charles Dickens esque social Darwinist dystopia. The above information has destroyed my soul a little inside knowing that in a modern first world nation there is still shit like that going on. Disgusting about the man who got 20 years to life for stealing candy (Reading the story made my blood boil). I've seen child rapists and murderers get less than that both in America and the UK. I hope you can get a successful ticket out of that dystopia into more enlightened lands.

Where I come from in the UK isn't exactly uptopia ether. We have elderly people freezing to death in the winter due to greedy capalist gas companies and various other social problems.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I want to get out of this little slice of hell, maybe to a mountain state like Colorado or New Mexico...but even they have a few weird laws.
Fourth of July: Where you can and cannot use fireworks in Colorado - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com
In Louisiana, explosives are legal, whereas out there, most are not. A decent trade for the laws I'm shouldered with, though. One thing that scares me about Trump is he reminds me of some of our local politicians, and he may spread the corruption everywhere. I've considered leaving the country, but the process to do that is exponentially more confusing than staying inside the US. I hope things turn out less bad than my worst fears, which I admit, is a low bar to cross.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can see why you want to get the fuck out of where you live. Where you live seems the way you describe it to be a Charles Dickens esque social Darwinist dystopia. The above information has destroyed my soul a little inside knowing that in a modern first world nation there is still shit like that going on. Disgusting about the man who got 20 years to life for stealing candy (Reading the story made my blood boil). I've seen child rapists and murderers get less than that both in America and the UK. I hope you can get a successful ticket out of that dystopia into more enlightened lands.

Where I come from in the UK isn't exactly uptopia ether. We have elderly people freezing to death in the winter due to greedy capalist gas companies and various other social problems.

Finally a person that feels the same way. As far as I can tell, its getting worse and will continue to get worse.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I want to get out of this little slice of hell, maybe to a mountain state like Colorado or New Mexico...but even they have a few weird laws.
Fourth of July: Where you can and cannot use fireworks in Colorado - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com
In Louisiana, explosives are legal, whereas out there, most are not. A decent trade for the laws I'm shouldered with, though. One thing that scares me about Trump is he reminds me of some of our local politicians, and he may spread the corruption everywhere. I've considered leaving the country, but the process to do that is exponentially more confusing than staying inside the US. I hope things turn out less bad than my worst fears, which I admit, is a low bar to cross.

Colorado appears to be a very nice state. The laws there are libertarian from what I know and the scenery is to die for. Assuming you could get work there I would go for it. I would love to visit Colorado some day. Speaking of elections it seems in America you had shitty choices and the choice was between two corrupt candidates. That Saunders seemed pretty cool from what i read on the news but they dumped him.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Colorado appears to be a very nice state. The laws there are libertarian from what I know and the scenery is to die for. Assuming you could get work there I would go for it. I would love to visit Colorado some day. Speaking of elections it seems in America you had shitty choices and the choice was between two corrupt candidates. That Saunders seemed pretty cool from what i read on the news but they dumped him.

Sanders was my candidate. I was such a fervent supporter in the wake of the other choices that I stumped for him to try my best to swing votes in his favor in Louisiana. It didn't work.

Hillary was horrible and corrupt, and probably would have been almost as bad as Trump...ALMOST. She was slightly better on the environment and science issues.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sanders was my candidate. I was such a fervent supporter in the wake of the other choices that I stumped for him to try my best to swing votes in his favor in Louisiana. It didn't work.

Hillary was horrible and corrupt, and probably would have been almost as bad as Trump...ALMOST. She was slightly better on the environment and science issues.

If you had to say what would you say the biggest social problems are in America as a whole? Plus are you the only one in your family unhappy with the culture and customs of your local area or is there others in your family unhappy?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you had to say what would you say the biggest social problems are in America as a whole? Plus are you the only one in your family unhappy with the culture and customs of your local area or is there others in your family unhappy?
I'm very unhappy and so is my family, but for different reasons I see the laws as too strict, but while my family sees the additional laws as good, they want stricter laws.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm. I know it involves some competition but... photography?

I looked more into photography. It has neither job security nor a living pay. Lacking one of those, let alone both, is a deal breaker.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The only bad thing about the pharmacy is since I'm a slower worker (despite having decent technical knowledge), I don't always get the hours I need. Part of this is school, too. Even though I am not bad enough to be fired, since I've been with the company 2 and a half years, I find myself moving from store to store just to get the hours I need since I'm not bad enough to fire but not good enough to really be wanted. The only problem with moving faster is when I hurt people. If I try to go the speed I'm supposed to in order to go the same speed as other 3rd year technicians, I make so many errors, I get in trouble. The main reason I don't want a lot of competition is that when there is somebody to compare me to, people usually pick the other person.

The most important part is pay, followed by job security, followed by noncompetitive, followed by ease of entry, followed by amount of time off, and in last place, finally we reach pleasure...since I pretty much know I won't like anything worthwhile. My guess for after college is to try to get several other pharmacy jobs while keeping the first. That first job will be my safety net, since I know how to find more hours if I get a cut. My chain has a store on every street corner, so I can perpetually move and stay low. If I do a couple other pharmacy jobs, not only will I get my hours, but I'll be managing my risk by dividing my work investment between companies.

peter pettishrooms

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Home inspection (in this case, I checked mostly condos). No high school diploma required and it pays well. I worked as an inspector for one summer to earn some extra money and I made as much as $36/hr. I earned as much money as someone working a min. wage, full-time job in half the time. A lot of traveling is required though, so the contractors you want to work for usually ask you if you have a car. Not owning one is a definite deal breaker.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Home inspection. No high school diploma required and it pays well. I worked as an inspector for one summer to earn some extra money and I made as much as $36/hr. I earned as much money as someone working a min. wage, full-time job in half the time. A lot of traveling is required though, so the contractors you want to work for usually ask you if you have a car. Not owning one is a definite deal breaker.

How do I get training in that? Is there a course I have to take?

I have a little minicooper that is very reliable.

Reading this, now: https://www.ahit.com/news/tips-on-becoming-home-inspector.htm