• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

School Me

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I am in school right now and also Teach. I am curious about everyone's thoughts on something almost all of us experience(d):

A) Are you being schooled right now?

What are you taking? What is your homework level like? Do you know 'what you want to do' for a living? How much do you have left? Are you working whilst you do school?

school_zps0gremsv3.jpg

B) Are you hoping to do schooling again in the future?

If so, what would you like to take? What's holding you back from going now? Why will more schooling benefit you?

C) Are you most-likely finished with school for the rest of your life?

Do you like your job? Do you think school helped you with a career or not-so-much? Do you think the level of education you have is relevant to the wage you make? Was it difficult to get/find financing for your education?

denzel_zpsrskozkst.jpeg

D) Did you go to: trade-school, college/university or neither?

Would you do anything differently? Do you enjoy work or is it a means to ends?

If This Picture Is Your Job: Which Figure Are You?
bad%20day_zpsvirmrojc.jpg

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
rather than actually participate i could place a fun picture here...

wnd_ea881c2f744774f5f2d2b28ec0a750e9.jpg

a. if i am it is cleverly disguised...

b. perhaps... a lack of goals is the primary thing keeping me from it...

c. to be honest i have no idea...

d. nope, just a certification...

(i just wanted to throw the picture up)

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Welp, I have nothing to lose.

A) Nope, recently graduated with a degree in engineering science.

B) Currently I am self-studying for an insurance designation while working as a part time tutor. For the next two years , my plan is work a placeholder job in insurance while gradually building up my portfolio to break into the software industry through self study and open-source work. From what I've heard though, having a relevant degree lends extra credibility. For this reason, I may end up going back to school to get a masters or another bachelors in something related to software.

C) About 50:50 on this one. Depends on how the next few years go.

D) University. If I could do it over, I would pick a program that is less multidisciplinary, less gimmicky, and not so needlessly difficult.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No.

Yes.
If so, what would you like to take?
Dietetics.
What's holding you back from going now?
I'm saving money. I don't want to take on debt, and financial aid/scholarships aren't available for this course.
Why will more schooling benefit you?
I am planning to use the qualification to set up a non-profit coaching program/company to aid disadvantaged people in eating/living better.

No. (see above)
Do you like your job?
It's OK. Could be better, could be worse.
Do you think school helped you with a career or not-so-much?
I couldn't do what I'm currently doing without my education, but it's not where I see my career going. (see above)
Do you think the level of education you have is relevant to the wage you make?
Well, it pays an average wage - which makes it not worth it since I spent so many years in school.
Was it difficult to get/find financing for your education?
Scholarships the whole way. Graduated with zero debt.

University.
Would you do anything differently?
Not really. I needed to go to university and grad school and do my current job (in combination with life experience) to figure out what I wanted to do.
Do you enjoy work or is it a means to ends?
I enjoy aspects of my work, but I am also working towards a larger, unrelated goal so it is a means to an end.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A) Yes, I'm a senior at my school and a sociology major minoring in anthropology. Homework intensity varies by class but generally it isn't that bad. Most classes don't do tests, just papers. I don't know what I want to do after school. I have this semester + one more semester left. I do not work and go to school at the same time because call me a lazy fuck or a whiny baby but I can't handle even a part-time job while enrolled in school.

B) No. I hate school. I hate school as an institution. I hate how schools in America operate. I don't want to be here. I haven't learned anything.

C) Can't answer, no job.

D) I went to community college for 2.5 years, took a semester off, and am finishing up at a university. I got mocked for going to community college because "it's not real school" but now I'm the one laughing while everyone else falls under their crushing debt.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What are you taking? What is your homework level like? Do you know 'what you want to do' for a living? How much do you have left? Are you working whilst you do school?

No, unless you count things I am trying to learn on my own.

If so, what would you like to take? What's holding you back from going now? Why will more schooling benefit you?

Probably not formal schooling, unless it is to take a computer-related class here or there. I am more likely to do teaching. In fact, in a manner of speaking, I do.

Do you like your job? Do you think school helped you with a career or not-so-much? Do you think the level of education you have is relevant to the wage you make? Was it difficult to get/find financing for your education?

See above. I don't plan on earning additional degrees, or taking additional formal coursework. The schooling I do have is essential for my career. It is relevant in that it is specifically required for my job. More importantly, it gave me the experience and expertise to be able to do my job, as it should. It was relatively easy to finance my undergraduate degree because my family earnings/savings were limited. Graduate school was easy, as most grad students in science get assistantships.

I do not like my job, partly because I don't get enough time or latitude to put my experience and ability to use. Too much administrivia and micromanagement.

Would you do anything differently? Do you enjoy work or is it a means to ends?

University and graduate school. I would do nothing different, school-wise. See above about work. My job now is a means to the end of getting a better job.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A. Nope - graduated two years ago with my B.S. in CS. :D

B. I did consider it last year, and applied for the Master's program at my alma mater... but I was rejected because of my poor GPA and lack of proper references. So, nope.

C. Because of the above, I guess I'm done with schooling at this point.

D. I went to a private college in Chicago. Tuition was expensive as hell, but the resources and all were very helpful. :)