• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does College "Culture" Matter?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the cultural fit is huge in terms of satisfaction. I went to a party school. Its not the best influence. Luckily I got a pretty good education because the school had excellent programs in what I was majoring in . I had a great experience but can't help feeling it would have been better at a school with a higher overall quality of student body. Where it impacted me was a more limited group of people to socialize with that I had stuff in common with. It was still fine though.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if I am not interested in partying whatsoever then I should try and avoid party schools? I currently have a low ACT score (trying to get that up though), and all the schools I looked in to that will accept a low enough score are party schools at least according to student reviews. I was wondering I could ignore all that stuff and do just fine.
I know this was directed at someone else, but I can say something from the vantage point of an instructor. If you aren't invested in a social life, then one advantage of being in a school where a lot of students don't care about studying is that you will be a top student and your professors will appreciate you quite a bit.

I'm extremely introverted, so the social dynamics at the universities and colleges I attended were irrelevant. I went to a huge football school, but had zero social life. I just showed up in class and did my work.

Although, professors at a known party school might treat the students more like children with punishments because it will feel more like high school in the relationship to authority. That can be annoying to a more serious student.

Community colleges can have that element of feeling like an extension of high school, but there are always a lot of non-traditional, older students who create another layer of cultural dynamic. There are always a significant number of serious students at community college who are a little older. The philosophy at community colleges is to be more student centered, so I think you would find respect and assistance for getting tutoring, writing center support, etc.

It is possible that professors at a party school could take a harder line with discipline and so forth because of the childish dynamic with students. Community colleges tend to be more accommodating and have resources for people with actual extenuating circumstances, which might be dismissed at the party school.

Tomb1

College tuition averages something like 30-40 k per year...getting shackled into that sinkhole of debt for the plastic culture college offers to me is a waste of money when you can hang out in any district of a thriving city and get tons of real culture for free.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To an extent. You'll definitely have an easier time staying on track and succeeding if the school you attend vibes with what you're looking for. But, it's just as possible to find a niche group or circle of friends at a large campus, even if the overall culture is different from your expectations. I attend a large university, and that's been the case for me. But, to discount culture or social circles altogether is fallacious; a negative environment has spiraling effects on mental health and grades, among other things.

Greedyman

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Two
In all well-known and large universities and colleges, this "culture" is present to a greater extent, so if you don't like it, you can not go there immediately. However, I studied at a less popular college, and therefore we had very few similar political parties and communities. And suppose anything, I studied at asa miami college. In that case, this is a great place where I got a huge amount of knowledge in economics. Thanks to the teachers from this college, I now work at a prestigious job and get incredible pleasure from what I do. So I hope my post will help you answer the question.

Last edited:

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
Culture will affect the rate at which you get laid for sure. If you go to a Greek campus and you don't join any frats don't expect to get laid much. You could look like a dog but if you're in a popular frat you'll get laid a lot. It's why I never married anyone in a frat or sorority...they pretty much will sleep with a dumpster if it means popularity.

And I'm sorry if you did.