• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I take calculus if I don't plan on having a math based career?

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
Recently I've been thinking about what major I should pick. This semester (and probably the spring semester and possibly summer semester) I will be taking online courses. However, I'm only taking three courses each worth three credits, due to personal reasons. The courses I'm taking are all "introduction" and lower-level courses, which is pretty embarrassing, considering I've been attending college for three years.

I've enrolled in college trigonometry this semester. The only reason why I'm taking this course is because I haven't taken a math course in three years (I took college algebra in the Fall of 2013), and I feel as though my mathematical and logical abilities have become horrible in these past three years. I'm aka enrolled in a western civilization history course, and an introduction to literature course.

My plan is to take trigonometry in the fall semester, precalculus in the spring semester, and calculus 1 next summer. However, I'm going to be honest. I suck at math. I usually forget everything I learned in a math class in a few months, and I'm horrible at word problems. I'm debating on whether or not I should take calculus if I have no intentions on pursuing a math-based career. My dream is to become either an art curator or a law librarian or a legal mediator, but I plan on getting a bachelor's degree (I don't know if I should pursue an art history or a writing-based English degree, or something else.), a paralegal certificate, work for a while, and then reconsider graduate school. I love law-based subjects, but I have no interest in being a lawyer.

Anyways, back to the main subject. Should I bother taking calculus 1 and beyond if I don't want a STEM career? Should I not bother taking trigonometry or precalculus? Another plan I came up with was to take trigonometry, and then just take a statistics course, and one of those "finite math" and "survey of calculus" courses. I'm just wondering because I struggle to get low B's in math, but still think math is important, and ending with college algebra makes me feel "empty" and not "well rounded".

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The elite colleges want to see that calculus course in the transcript. Most people never use calculus at all outside of school, so it will be a waste of time, but if you're planning to apply to a prestigious university, you have to take it.

Here's a story from "Most Likely to Succeed":

"After one of our recent talks, a parent related that his daughter had done well at a top private boarding school. She applied to colleges with strong programs in dance, her passion, but was rejected everywhere. She took a gap year, reapplied, and again got no acceptances. The family hired a consultant with a direct pipeline to college admissions offices, and he learned that they had all turned her down for the same reason. She hadn't taken calculus, 'the most rigorous course available.' Well, eventually, she got into one of her choices and went on to have a great college experience. But you have to ask, how is calculus relevant to a dance major?"

Edit: Ooops, you are already in college. I'd say...no, unless you plan on applying to some graduate program.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
So if I'm considering getting a Master's of library science, I should take calculus? Would I only have to take one calculus course?