• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Was Your Childhood Dream Job?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can't remember if I had posted here before already :alttongue: but anyhow...

Believe it or not, I wanted to go into engineering just like my dad, even as a child. :D

... Of course, I couldn't handle two years of ECE in college. :blush: But at least I still got into a technical field, still of my own choice. Dad does regret that I couldn't stay in engineering, since he could've helped me get hired at the company where he's currently a co-director (although knowing my dad, he'd have been tough on me as a supervisor :tongue10:).

Anyhow, he's encouraging me to go with my strengths as a programmer. :)

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was very young, I wanted to be an artist. Somehow that changed into teacher at some point. I also was intrigued by archaeology, and had it been an available major at the college I graduated from, it's quite likely I would have gotten a degree in it.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pilot, soldier, video game programmer, rock star, writer.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Paleonotologist, as a kid I was obsessed with dinosaurs, fossils, bugs, you name it. I used to be able to name numerous species by their scientific name.

Metis

The only reason I had dreams regarding "what are you going to be when you grow up" was that we were asked that question, by adults and by each other, and it was the thing to do to have an answer for that.

So I thought about it, and I decided that it came to either one of two things. What those things were hardly matters, though.

Both seemed too unrealistic to pursue. I did end up pursuing one of those routes later, as an adult, but it sucked.

I think "what are you going to be when you grow up" was the wrong question. First of all, I didn't know that many options. Secondly, I didn't know a thing about any of them, what they were like, what they involved, or anything other than the surface impressions I had and romanticism about them as ideas.

Better prompts would have involved shorter-term goals that involved almost immediate action. This would have given multiple opportunities to explore different interests through action, rather than through a detached imagination only.

Permabanned

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was very caught up in fantasy as a child. I used to think I would be able to fly one day, and that other worldly beings would take me on an adventure. My daydreaming (which got me into not a little trouble at primary school) was mostly occupied by thoughts of wonderful distant worlds. I didn't spend too much time occupied with what job I would have although I did a fair amount of street theatre/offbeat fringe theatre which eventually brought me round to wanting to pursue a career in acting.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An astrophysicist and a horse apparently

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having a solitary job that allowed a lot of communication, taking my time (already needed space probably), being able to give informations to people that would allow them to travel. I was also very much organised and precise when questioning someone.

2nd dream job : investigator. But too many dark walls to be in touch with.....

So I'm proud of myself I have seen my dream come true (........)

Amberiat

Infinity
Earliest one I can remember is that I dreamed of being a NASCAR driver or whatever. 5-6 years old? Dunno exactly

Fast forward a few years and I was fluctuating between Lawyer/Neurosurgeon.

Those didn't stick because it required too much time focusing on boring/rigid studying instead of giving me free reign to evolve as I saw fit, now I'm into business/entrepreneurship. :shrug:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Oh my god, I wanted to be a fucking farmer when I was a tyke...so glad my brain works better than this now, lol...I blame a school project...
nothing wrong with being one but imagining me in those shoes is terrifying.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A writer! I loved reading my journal to the class and making up fairy characters. In middle school, it evolved into a comic book writer. Then in high school it turned into a chef! I think that's because I was watching Food Network all day. I still think both of these things would be nice jobs. I like to cook at home, and I still write, albeit mostly through poetry and blogging.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I forgot to include that now I'm a self-employed artist / programmer. So much different than farmer...

HoneyBlossom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was always changing my dream job as a kid, lol I was want to be a actress, doctor, teacher, model and veterinarian but growing up I want to be a design graphic, chef and animator but mostly I want my dream job is animator. ;)

Mole

Permabanned
As a small boy my father was driving me past Sydney University, and I asked him, "What do they do there?", my father paused and said, "They think". And that is what I wanted to do.