• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Was Your Childhood Dream Job?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Does your current profession resemble them in any way?

little%20police_zpsa7rsfckq.jpg

rodeo_zps3gwzqdl2.jpg

Do you care?

Girl%20Doctor_zpsmfn1osxn.gif

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At 5 I wanted to be a fairy. At 8 i wanted to be a dog trainer At 10 I wanted to be a spy.

I'm a student and have no clue what I want to be.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I alternated between wanting to be a vet and an author. I dropped wanting to be a vet because I wouldn't want to have to put up with not being able to save an animal. as I got older I dropped the author thing because I thought I would run out of ideas or my books wouldn't be good enough and just sort of lost interest in writing. starting in middle school I wanted to be a doctor. I'm in high school now but that's still the plan. I couldn't tell you anything about what exact kind of doctor I want to be, but somewhere in that field. I think I considered being a detective a few times too.

Trash Panda

Retired
I wanted to be rich without ever having any thoughts or ideas of how to become rich... Pirates and gypsies always appealed to me... Adventurers. :shrug:

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanted to be rich without ever having any thoughts or ideas of how to become rich... Pirates and gypsies always appealed to me... Adventurers. :shrug:

I like your honesty there, that's cool :D

Believe it or not, I wanted to be an engineer like my dad when I was a kid :alttongue: not a mechanical engineer though, but a medical engineer - I always wanted to find ways to heal people, and so I thought that was the path for me.

Then high school and college taught me how horribly wrong I was, and now I'm into computer science, which I enjoy a lot more. :D I do have my Reiki to help my family and friends on the side, though. :heart:

Permabanned
I like your honesty there, that's cool :D

Believe it or not, I wanted to be an engineer like my dad when I was a kid :alttongue: not a mechanical engineer though, but a medical engineer - I always wanted to find ways to heal people, and so I thought that was the path for me.

Then high school and college taught me how horribly wrong I was, and now I'm into computer science, which I enjoy a lot more. :D I do have my Reiki to help my family and friends on the side, though. :heart:

Does it work at a distance, over say, internet forums?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanted to be a millionaire. Sadly, I don't have a foyer like that or a big house with a pool in Beverly Hills.

b996687739340d08550badfe12a42d9f.jpg

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does it work at a distance, over say, internet forums?

Sure it does :) I'll have to refrain from saying anything more though, last time I was given a fair warning for advertising my service on the forum. :blush:

Back to the topic though - my mom actually wanted a doctor in the family, while Dad didn't mind another engineer. I did go into engineering for some time in high school and college, but found it too difficult to handle. My sister is in nursing now though, which Mom's okay with at this point. :)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I remember wanting to be a police officer so I could arrest my parents.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Aaaw, this is one of the many stories that start with "An example of how CitizenErased has been embarrassing her parents in front of a lot of people since age 3".

It was a meeting with the children and parents of 1st grade (some kind of "let's get to know each other" activity), and everyone had to say what they wanted to be later in life. Everyone was "I want to be a doctor to cure people/I want to play football/I want to be a lawyer/vet/astronaut..." and when my turn came, I said:

"I want to be a hippie."

My parents told me that "hippie" wasn't a profession, and I asked why I needed one, they said to make money to buy stuff, and I asked why money exists if our human ancestors ate fruits from the trees. They didn't answer.

Of course, I meant driving one of those colourful vans, travelling with friends, play instruments and go anywhere I liked without people telling me what to do. I still want that life (sort of).

Then I grew up and in my teens I wanted to be everything. Leonardo da Vinci became my personal hero since then. I wanted to be a multi-instrumentalist, novelist, visual artist, dancer and singer with deep understanding of descriptive geometry and sociology.

Then I realized being all of that before my 25th birthday was insane, so I became a... depressed person, haha

My path was always related to art, so I first started studying Architecture, because it was the one "art" that, when being a professional, allows you to do most of the others (designs, for example), but it wasn't for me, so I changed to Curatorship and Art History, which allows me to work in museums, write books, participate of the critics, and the career is like seeing the history and technical stuff of every type of art, so I feel I'm covering my wide range of interests pretty well.

In the meantime, I'm still going to try to be all the other stuff.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Off and on through my childhood, I wanted to teach elementary school.

I'm beginning a teacher instruction class and internship in the fall, and I've started the application process for universities with good teaching programs.

:heart:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Movie critic because I wanted to watch a bunch of movies for free.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
electrical engineer. yes at 5 i wanted to be an electrical engineer. then worked with them and vowed never to be an engineer. they are WAY to mental and not hands on enough. i like a balnce, so i end up being the technician who learns engineering.

of course i am a computer programmer by profession. no school, just kinda worked my way into this position.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my ability to dream was stifled at a fairly young age, whether through nurture or my own nature or probably a combo of both. I don't recall ever wanting to 'be' anything when younger (other than myself ;)), and by the time I was a teenager 'career' had begun to plague me.

In my early middle age I am working at going for something along the lines of a dream, though. Maybe never too late to revisit? :) :yes:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My job doesn't at all resemble what I dreamed of; in fact it's a lot of the corporate stuff my child self did not like. But I detected the better people in it and maneuvered assertively to become a part of what they do, which is a kind of check/balance on the less human parts of the work. I can say I'm doing the best I can with where I'm at.

Do I care about the gap between what I'm doing and my old dreams? Yes, if silently and with too much shame. My relationship with them is not good at this stage. But I am working actively at that, too, by putting myself in social situations that pressure me on a regular basis to face the discomfort I have with making art.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wanted to be a famous singer and/or writer. I've pretty much given up on a career in music, but I'm working on a book, so I guess we'll see. I'm not planning to make that my career though, like unless some miracle happens and I end up making a ridiculous amount of money from it.