• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Was Your Childhood Dream Job?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanted to be a cosmologist and peer into the secrets of creation. :cry:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
This question is so messed up af, and the more messed up af part is how pervasively accepted it's become.

Which of the 3 questions I posed (below) are you referring to?

What was your childhood dream job? Does your current profession resemble them in any way? Do you care?

Why are any of those questions 'messed up af'?

Permabanned
Which of the 3 questions I posed (below) are you referring to?

What was your childhood dream job? Does your current profession resemble them in any way? Do you care?

Why are any of those questions 'messed up af'?

because reasons. I don't have anything original to say, so

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

What he is saying has value. I looked at his blog and it's an interesting read.

When people ask me "What do you do?" I often reply with answers other than what I do for work. I relate to the idea of what he says in the above quotes.

And still...Mr. Godin's writings in this regard correlate with his books (that he asks money for) and his speaking gigs (that are paid) and his courses (for a fee). Where does his job end and his project begin? Or vice versa?

I understand the disconnect that people have that you are highlighting Pho. But, to say that remembering what you wanted to do as a child (the question is often "What do you want to BE when you grow up" which does not limit itself to occupation) and pondering what connection your adult life has to it...is 'messed up as F*ck' might be a bit overstated, no?

Permabanned
What he is saying has value. I looked at his blog and it's an interesting read.

When people ask me "What do you do?" I often reply with answers other than what I do for work. I relate to the idea of what he says in the above quotes.

And still...Mr. Godin's writings in this regard correlate with his books (that he asks money for) and his speaking gigs (that are paid) and his courses (for a fee). Where does his job end and his project begin? Or vice versa?

If one adds value and people are willing to pay for that value, why is there a conflict in that? Certainly one has the liberty to chose to do so for free, which would be called charity. And maybe if they did, their reputation would still feed them from karma driven generosity. But I digress. It's an ad hominem, which departs from the main point.

I understand the disconnect that people have that you are highlighting Pho. But, to say that remembering what you wanted to do as a child (the question is often "What do you want to BE when you grow up" which does not limit itself to occupation) and pondering what connection your adult life has to it...is 'messed up as F*ck' might be a bit overstated, no?
Not the same as the thread title.

Thread: What Was Your Childhood Dream Job?

The messed up part pertains exactly to the lack of context and awareness regarding occupation/vocation vs job, a child does not possess, and how castrating and chastising it is to be indoctrinated by the adults whom also lack such awareness, with quite foreseeable life long consequences.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
If one adds value and people are willing to pay for that value, why is there a conflict in that? Certainly one has the liberty to chose to do so for free, which would be called charity. And maybe if they did, their reputation would still feed them from karma driven generosity. But I digress. It's an ad hominem, which departs from the main point.

I do not feel there is conflict. I was highlighting how it squared with his own thoughts.

Not the same as the thread title.

I didn't say it was :)

The messed up part pertains exactly to the lack of context and awareness regarding occupation/vocation vs job, a child does not possess, and how castrating and chastising it is to be indoctrinated by the adults whom also lack such awareness, with quite foreseeable life long consequences.

Thank you for explaining.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Completely my fault and I apologize. I am glad you continued to question me on it.

I read this:

If all you've ever had is jobs (a habit that's encouraged starting in first grade), it's difficult to see just how easy it is to transform your work into a project.
as this:

It's difficult to see just how easy it is to transform your work into a project.

When the statement is complete, his words contain no hypocrisy.

It's a great quote [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] and I appreciate having the blog now, to peruse more.

Justmeonhere

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was very little I wanted to be a journalist then a singer then a writer and then a comedian and finally a literature critic. :happy2:

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanted to be Indiana Jones, or Doc Brown.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Growing up, I always imagined myself in a position of power, fame, or importance typically associated with some risk/danger. Action movie star, corporate CEO, special forces commando, international spy, etc.

...and now I teach high school.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Growing up, I always imagined myself in a position of power, fame, or importance typically associated with some risk/danger. Action movie star, corporate CEO, special forces commando, international spy, etc.

...and now I teach high school.

Teenagers too can be vicious.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Teenagers too can be vicious.

True, but I can shove back.

Ever see a 90s movie called The Substitute? That's me on a good day.

1324056047015_rovi-2001173_z_subskcau_2x1_overlay_590_295.jpg

"I'm in charge of this class. I'm the warrior chief. I'm the merciless god of anything that stirs in my universe. You fuck with me, and you will suffer my wrath."

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
-Cartoonist/Animator
-Mangaka (go to Japan and create my own anime or make the first good American manga hit)
-Writer
-Youtuber (a few accounts with specific functions)

I've modified and revised a heck of a lot since then. Learned mistakes I would've made had I started more seriously long ago.

It's only modified into a bigger picture understanding than the somewhat scattered confusion I previously had. Good I held back.

I've always been very visionary and stuck in these future fantasies.

I mean... my first biography I made for class was on George Lucas. When I was a kid.