• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advice: How to become a stats/data person?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Anyone know anything about stats, data analysis, whatever it is called?

Context: At the moment, I want to do useful data analysis/statistical reports for the company I work for (it's not in my job description, but I like to do it anyway), but I would also be interested in taking this work to a higher level some day, should it prove to be rewarding.

I'm not sure how hard this road will be, as I don't really have any mathematical education to draw on (aside from grade 11 math) and I don't know anything about computers. Even my knowledge of Excel is pretty limited considering the scope of possibilities it offers (Should I start there?). I'm a 26 year old drop-out, who simply likes thinking about this stuff. Am I doomed?

Should I take night classes? Read books? I have been toying with the idea of going to university and getting a degree heavy on the stats/econ front, with some computer stuff as well.

Extra TL;DR Context:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I do data analysis but it's in the medical field. I have a BS in Health Information Management so statistics and analysis are part of the degree. I know a couple people that do statistics strictly. One works for a pharmaceutical company and one works for the health system I work for but both of them are statisticians. They don't have medical background, they don't really need that for their jobs. Take a mathematical statistics course, see what you think. Talk to colleges and see what's out there as far as degrees, there are tons. Having working knowledge of Excel and Access are going to be beneficial to you, no matter the field you work in.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've taken 2 statistics courses; they weren't that difficult. I'd recommend getting a good introductory statistics textbook and a more advanced applied statistics textbook and learning that way. If you're struggling with the textbooks, there are free online statistics courses (MIT has one) that you may want to try.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
How did I know that the ITJ's would be the first to answer this question :newwink:

I do data analysis but it's in the medical field. I have a BS in Health Information Management so statistics and analysis are part of the degree. I know a couple people that do statistics strictly. One works for a pharmaceutical company and one works for the health system I work for but both of them are statisticians. They don't have medical background, they don't really need that for their jobs. Take a mathematical statistics course, see what you think. Talk to colleges and see what's out there as far as degrees, there are tons. Having working knowledge of Excel and Access are going to be beneficial to you, no matter the field you work in.

Thanks a lot, I think you're right, I need to learn a little and see how it goes first. I get way too amped up on my latest intellectual kick and make lots of permanent decisions that stem from temporary cognitive states.

That's solid advice, I appreciate it coming from a professional!

I've taken 2 statistics courses; they weren't that difficult. I'd recommend getting a good introductory statistics textbook and a more advanced applied statistics textbook and learning that way. If you're struggling with the textbooks, there are free online statistics courses (MIT has one) that you may want to try.

Hm, it just so happens I have an intro textbook from a course I dropped out of 5 years ago. I think textbooks just bore me a little, so I am afraid of turning myself off the subject. I hadn't considered the online courses, that may be a better alternative, thanks for taking the time to weigh in!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] -- take a course and see what you think -- and check in with your local college career services center to do a little digging. My suspicion would be that the path would be similar to the fairly typical "take classes, do internship or entry level job, graduate, get real job with credentials from school and past job" path. Which is the path I took. I'm not a stats/data person but I'm half-inclined to take some courses in it myself, because it would be useful for my current job -- which is in nonprofit fundraising (direct mail + online appeals + crowdfunding).

epidemiologist

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am a graduate student in public health - we use a lot of statistics! I find the field fascinating, even though I am not a huge fan of other types of math unless its put into context (For example: I don't like calculus, but enjoy modeling). Have you ever heard or Coursera of EdX, perhaps you could try courses on those! They are great because they are free, but you still get top notch education and if you can manage to finish all the work (I'm always intrigued and then get distracted/bogged down by the details and assignments). There are a lot of different options too, and you may even be able to find a statistics course related to your job.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A masters in data analytics looks really fun

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some general advise that applies here. Have you considered adult school? They have classes that fit most schedules, like nighttime. They are almost always free. You can drop going anytime with no consequences. These qualities are good because it could turn out that you don't like it after all. It's been known to happen no? :D If it turns out that you like it, well then you can pull the trigger on something more involved or formal.

Excel is sooo useful. Most people with an office job could benefit from a course/certificate in this.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
It's definitely a career direction that is only gonna grow in importance in the long run.
I'd definitely take excel courses, and specialized excel courses. I just finished an excel power pivot course myself. I'm a school drop out too btw, and proud of it :D