• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Voice actor

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I love this job opportunity. Excellent ability to dramatically speak different scripts in according to theme. No diploma from an acting school though. A diploma from systems administration, but it's of no use. I think I'm good in this (performed to the delight of friends for 20 yeas now).. so how am I to proceed?

Sending video samples of me impersonating people to broadcasters? What?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
What kind of voice acting are you referring to? Doing commercials, educational materials, anime?

1. You will need a demo and a manager. Find independent record labels where you live and ask them if they can recommend anyone with studio access (to make your demo). Or put a wanted ad on craigslist.

2. Natural voice talent is the very first tiny step. You will need to speak clearly and quickly. Try repeating commercials as you listen to them. Write ad copy and try to say it increasingly faster without compromising quality.

3. Research vocal exercises and do them daily.

4. You will likely need some form of training. I took a course from someone who had been in the business for decades. There are a lot of 'scam' courses so do diligent research when making a choice.

If you do not have a background in acting, it is probably wise to pursue some theatre classes. Preferably with a 'voice acting' bent. This is especially important if doing anime or cartoons so that you know your marks and how to read scripts when you come in.

5. Time is money. A Director will ask you for more takes but they prefer someone who "gets a feel for it" off the bat. Vocalize constantly. It doesn't matter if people think you are crazy for talking to yourself. The more prepared you are, the higher the chance of a request to return.

6. The more versatile your demo is, the more successful you will be.

7. Once you are working, there are various options available. If you do anime or other cartoons, you will likely go to the studio's to work.

If you want to record educational materials, audiobooks or commercials you will need your own studio.

I have one friend who does primarily commercials and cartoons. He lives in a high-end neighbourhood and has several luxury sports cars. His studio is worth a considerable amount.

My other friend lives in Portland and travels a lot to do manuals, audiobooks, corporate materials etc... But, he still has a home studio set-up. His is considerably less expensive (under $25,000). {My point is that there are different salaries and lifestyles if you choose this as a career.}

Here is a view of his simple workspace:

Webs%20Studio_zpsgffn7vnt.jpg

8. You will need to be able to market yourself. Initially to a talent manager and then to clients.

All the best!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Also, it helps to be near places that do things like this. For example, in Houston Funimation is stationed there so the voice actors for many animes live in Houston, TX. They sometimes do open auditions. The guy I talked to that has done several animes said that they had him speak very plainly and as himself in the interview audition.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Also, it helps to be near places that do things like this. For example, in Houston Funimation is stationed there so the voice actors for many animes live in Houston, TX. They sometimes do open auditions. The guy I talked to that has done several animes said that they had him speak very plainly and as himself in the interview audition.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here are two books I own and recommend for voice and speech training:

Make Your Voice Heard: An Actor's Guide to Increased Dramatic Range Through Vocal Training: Chuck Jones: 9780823083701: Amazon.com: Books

Speak with Distinction: The Classic Skinner Method to Speech on the Stage: Edith Skinner, Timothy Monich, Lilene Mansell: 9781557830470: Amazon.com: Books

You must complete a daily regimen of vocal and breathing exercises to train your voice as a tool for expression. This is what people with acting diplomas have spent four years doing. You need to put just as much work into this as they have in order to be considered by employers.

Edit: If you're interested, there are a few fantastic books on acting I can recommend as well.

Okay, so I'm going to link to them anyway.

Fundamental classic that will teach you what action (aka character motivation) is. You'll also learn about plot, character, diction, thought, spectacle, and song. This was written by Aristotle and is mainly about Greek Tragedy but it forms the basis of acting theory and application and was a formative text for literature as well.

Amazon.com: Aristotle's Poetics (Dramabook,) (9780809005277): Aristotle, S. H. Butcher, Francis Fergusson: Books

This book is Meisner technique-heavy and very, very good. Expect a clear, simple, understandable guide to acting at its basics: covering action, scene analysis, living in the moment, etc. It's basically a how-to book and gets rid of a lot of the mystery surrounding acting.

A Practical Handbook for the Actor: Melissa Bruder, Lee Michael Cohn, Madeleine Olnek, Nathaniel Pollack, Robert Previtio, Scott Zigler, David Mamet: 9780394744124: Amazon.com: Books

This is for script analysis and will help you investigate the text in order to get a good handle on your character.

Backwards & Forwards: A Technical Manual for Reading Plays: David Ball, Michael Langham: 9780809311101: Amazon.com: Books