• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Exercising brain (warm up)

Kas

Fabula rasa
I like to exercise brain before studying or difficult task. Do you have any way to do so?
Something not very serious, maybe in form of a game… Form of warm-up.

I used lumosity games and language learning programs before.

Please give me ideas.

Last edited:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I usually drink tea and do jigsaw puzzles during my studying breaks. I try to avoid screens because I never leave them and postpone my studying. Regarding phone apps, I like games with numbers (like 2048, Sudoku or that one in which you have to delete consecutive numbers that are equal or add 10, etc). Another games that don't require the phone are memorizing weird excerpts of books or trying to find words in words (e.g.: Latin America -Latinoamérica in Spanish- contains the words la, a, tin, no, latin, am), etc).

I don't like Lumosity very much because it gives you time to solve, and that makes me nervous, haha

If I think of anything else, I'll be back with more ideas!

Kas

Fabula rasa
I usually drink tea and do jigsaw puzzles during my studying breaks. I try to avoid screens because I never leave them and postpone my studying. Regarding phone apps, I like games with numbers (like 2048, Sudoku or that one in which you have to delete consecutive numbers that are equal or add 10, etc). Another games that don't require the phone are memorizing weird excerpts of books or trying to find words in words (e.g.: Latin America -Latinoamérica in Spanish- contains the words la, a, tin, no, latin, am), etc).

I don't like Lumosity very much because it gives you time to solve, and that makes me nervous, haha

If I think of anything else, I'll be back with more ideas!

Thanks! :)

I like solving sudoku too (any game with numbers is fun). But the word game sounds interesting, I don't know if it will work in my language, but I will give it a try.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
If you like words games, I have a ton! Well, like 4 or 5..

- Trying to say words backwards (at first it's easier to read backwards all of the words you see)
- Trying to write/say little stories, each time with less words (first 20, then 18, then 15, etc)
- If you have flights of stairs, trying to make up a story with the exact same amount of words as the steps
- Assign each word of the story to each step, so you can say it backwards!
-Rearranging letters in a word to see how many words you can build with it
-Finding a weird word of your language everyday and trying to use it at all times
-There's also a game (don't know if there's an app for it) in which you're given a word forming a circle and you have to see where the word starts and where it ends
- There's another app that gives you images and you have to find the word that is common to all photos
-I also like messing up with people swapping objects and their names (like saying "banana" for "apple", and "apple" for "orange" and "orange" for "strawberry", etc). It lasts until you call something by its real name
- If you have people you want to mess up with, you can also invent weird words for normal objects and say the new word every time you see said person, and then count how many days pass before the person begins to call it the weird way (by accident or on purpose), and laugh when they say it to the public who doesn't know about the word (yes, I'm evil :D )

Kas

Fabula rasa
-I also like messing up with people swapping objects and their names (like saying "banana" for "apple", and "apple" for "orange" and "orange" for "strawberry", etc). It lasts until you call something by its real name
- If you have people you want to mess up with, you can also invent weird words for normal objects and say the new word every time you see said person, and then count how many days pass before the person begins to call it the weird way (by accident or on purpose), and laugh when they say it to the public who doesn't know about the word (yes, I'm evil :D )

That's hilarious:D

Thanks for all the words games. I was trying to say words backwards before... it's so difficult(!)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Hahaha, yes, it is! At first, at least. It helps when you can visualize the word inside your brain, so it's like reading it from paper.

.suoicodilaipxecitsiligarfilacrepuS

Once you can say this one without problem, you become senior!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bump! I want ideas as well :)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've heard Sudoku is a great brain "exercise".

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't do brain warm-ups, but how about brain teasers? Like this one from here:

"You have two buckets. One holds exactly five gallons and the other three gallons. How can you measure exactly four gallons of water into the five gallon bucket?

Assume you have an unlimited supply of water and that there are no measurement markings of any kind on the buckets."