• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Job interview

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Well, it seems that my application was accepted. I have a job interview tomorrow. I've never done this before, so I don't know what to expect.

It's cashier position at a grocery store near where I live. I don't need CIA-level skills, obviously, but I just like being prepared. Has anyone had a job interview for a field like this? Some basic questions...

-What are some likely questions to be asked?
-How should I dress, without overdoing it?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] as she has had all the jobs ever.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The questions will most certainly be customer service related and are unlikely to be especially rigorous. Doubly so if it's your first job, there's not really much to discuss previous experience-wise. You might even luck out and just have to take an automated sort of test that asks how you'd handle certain situations and sends the results to the hiring manager. That's how my retail ones went anyway.

It's hard to lose with any response that amounts to "Try to help the best I can or call over a supervisor if i'm not sure". Being a team player and trying to provide the customer with the best experience possible. Pepper with the sort of manners parents try to teach when young, a few smiles and you'll be good to go.

someone else can answer the dress code thing. i was never great at those.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Be honest and be positive. If you're being interviewed, then you're already OK on paper: they just need to gauge you as a human being.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
With jobs like these, getting an interview basically means you're guaranteed to be hired as long as you make some sort of attempt at the interview.

Just wear something nice like you were going to a family dinner or church or something. Don't need to overdo it but doing so isn't the worst thing you could do at an interview like this.

They'll ask you some basic questions like why you want the job. They'll ask you about scenarios in which customers, coworkers, etc. break a rule or you observe them doing so and how you would react. You'll want to be as teacher's pet as possible and say exactly the kind of lawful good stuff they want to hear.

I've had three jobs, two of them minimum wage and the other not much better. Each time, I was way more nervous for the interview than I really needed to be. Just being you, you'll be fine.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yayyy welcome to the soul crushing world of retail :cry:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
yayyy welcome to the soul crushing world of retail :cry:

Lol. Everyone says this, but I think it depends on where you're at.

I was a cashier at a grocery store like fetus will be and most of the time people were very friendly to me. There weren't too many overly grumpy people that came my way. Maybe the environment is a bit different in that way.

I guess I would describe my experiences there as a bit strenuous at times based on the volume of customers and product that came through, but it wasn't too bad.

It was fucking cold in the winter though.

Anyway, I'll be rejoining you all in retail very shortly. :p

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Congratulations on the job! It will be a learning experience.

I was a cashier at a grocery store like fetus will be and most of the time people were very friendly to me. There weren't too many overly grumpy people that came my way. Maybe the environment is a bit different in that way.

I guess I would describe my experiences there as a bit strenuous at times based on the volume of customers and product that came through, but it wasn't too bad.

It was fucking cold in the winter though.
I worked for a year as a cashier in a pharmacy. The checkouts were right near the door, as usual, and in winter it could be very cold. We would fish gloves out of the lost and found to wear when we had no customers (no scanners - had to type in every price by hand). The strangest things I had to do was call 911 for a guy who collapsed on the sidewalk outside the store; and cut an old lady's finger nail. I used to like working on Wednesday because that was stock day, and I got to shelve merchandise instead of being at the checkout.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Congratulations on the job! It will be a learning experience.

I worked for a year as a cashier in a pharmacy. The checkouts were right near the door, as usual, and in winter it could be very cold. We would fish gloves out of the lost and found to wear when we had no customers (no scanners - had to type in every price by hand). The strangest things I had to do was call 911 for a guy who collapsed on the sidewalk outside the store; and cut an old lady's finger nail. I used to like working on Wednesday because that was stock day, and I got to shelve merchandise instead of being at the checkout.

Fingerless gloves were a lifesaver for us! You're able to maintain most of your dexterity and keep your hands slightly warmer.