• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teaching

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've talked with some teachers and the general culture, especially in richer schools, is more like me than pharmacy culture is. Has anybody else noticed different schools have different cultures?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am a male who has rather severe ADHD and depression, and a touch of high-functioning autism. However I care about kids and have a passion for knowledge. I earned 8 free semesters of college after earning a 32 on my ACT, and though I've been working as a pharmacy technician for 2 years now, I've struggled to rise to the level of my peers and often just get whatever hours are left over. I'm using my scholarship to pursue secondary social studies since I was something of a nerd in school and I miss the sense of being in a school community. I am an agnostic atheist secular humanist as well, so I feel that I must give back to the greater community in some way to feel fulfilled. My greatest struggle in teaching will definately be classroom management, as I am a sensitive guy who feels uncomfortable treading on the rights and feelings of others and who cares a great deal for open and authentic discussion. Alas, I have seen from my observations that the most lenient teachers have the most unruly classes, so I must strike a balance between care and structure. I no longer put much stock in MBTI or personality systems beyond simple face value, but I am INFP. This post is devolving into stream of consciousness, I admit, but I'll admit that during my last observation of the last semester I attended, I was placed within a group of middle school students rather than to the side and I had two students at the group I was seated at begin to bicker back and forth, one student calling the other "gay" and the other student responding to the first student, "you're gay." Finally, the first student turned to me and asked "Do you think he's gay?"
I didn't want to shut the question down because I believe that it is always better to provide an answer or at least something to think about rather than to simply silence a student. I also knew that homosexuals are an oppressed group in our society and merely silencing the first student would imply there was something wrong with being gay, which would hurt the second student if he were indeed gay. On the other hand, if I said yes or anything which might imply the second student was gay, this would offend the student if he was not gay and would have serious repurcussions for me down the line. I decided I would take a neutral, balanced approach in my response and said "We are all special in our own way, which is what make the world a special and exciting place. It doesn't matter whether he is gay or not." Rather than ending the conversation, as was my intent, it escalated the situation. I discussed this with my mother later that day, who taught 15 years of high school, and she said that a simple "We aren't going to talk like that" would have been better. Her suggestion seems cold, but I want to respond to situations like this correctly in the future. At any rate, I am my recently deceased grandmother was glad I was pursuing education, as she was also in education, so I suppose it is something of a family tradition. I look forward to reading wisdom from these webpages, as I'm sure it will allow me to grow as an educator. As I wrote in my philosophy of education, I strongly favor the social reconstructionist and progressivist traditions, and if I can get even one more person to question the status quo, I have dealt the powers that be a blow.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
What subject(s) are you teaching or are you teaching an entire grade? I would've said:

"Please do not name-call in my classroom."

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What subject(s) are you teaching or are you teaching an entire grade? I would've said:

"Please do not name-call in my classroom."

6,7, and 8th grade history, civics, and geography.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Congrats. That's a lot of work but very interesting subjects.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know how I would have handled it, but I agree that "We aren't going to talk like that" might have sent the wrong message. And I really don't think the "everyone's special" spiel is ever helpful in these situations.

What does it mean to be an agnostic atheist?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know how I would have handled it, but I agree that "We aren't going to talk like that" might have sent the wrong message. And I really don't think the "everyone's special" spiel is ever helpful in these situations.

What does it mean to be an agnostic atheist?
I do not believe in gods or supernatural forces, though I do so due to a lack of evidence rather than due to direct counter-evidence. This makes me agnostic (don't know) athiest (don't believe). That said, if you present me the Christian, Islamic, or Jewish gods, I have found their descriptions internally inconsistant and thus I am a Gnostic (Know) Athiest (Don't Believe) on those. I couch the phrase "agnostic" because there is a slim chance in my mind there is a diestic god/goddess/goddex who just got things going and left everything alone. I don't know this "got things going" god doesn't exist, but I do not believe it does/did exist because there is no evidence of such a being.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I've talked with some teachers and the general culture, especially in richer schools, is more like me than pharmacy culture is. Has anybody else noticed different schools have different cultures?

I think every school has its own unique culture. The culture is created by the way the staff interact with each other, the way they interact with the students and the overall general held views and ideas about education and humanity. I have taught both in a private school and in three different public schools and the culture between all four were vastly different.

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I teach and I have seen very different cultures depending on the type of school, where it is located, the type of students and the teachers, and office staff. It's like any other workplace. The people make it different.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I teach and I have seen very different cultures depending on the type of school, where it is located, the type of students and the teachers, and office staff. It's like any other workplace. The people make it different.
I feel like I'll love some aspects of teaching and despise others. Is it that way for you?

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
The red tape for special ed really sucks and keeps me from actually teaching. So, yes.it is the same for me.