• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't follow your passion

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
bRITISH HUMAN YAS!!!!
also i can actually watch this since verrrry relevant atm.
i think someone posted a venn diagram a while ago related to what career to pursue with what you're good at, what you want to do and what pays well.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Meh, this talk is just a bit lacking. Firstly, he talked about people with personalities that fit a salesman or w/e then went on to claim it doesn't work for them because their interests might change and they should do what matches their skills? Also tbh I was waiting on the statistics or his reason for why people who are set on a path burn out quickly, I had a couple ideas of my own but he only lightly touched on it. Then he's talking about doing what's valuable, but everything and every job is valuable in some way, I think he was aiming at figuring out what we find personally valuable, which in a way is to do with passion too. He had the main point I suppose but it wasn't a well thought out presentation, though he was clearer nearer to the end. At the end of the day imo it's about figuring out what motivates you to work hard at something and using that to work out how you can combine it with your skills and interests to look at a career option, then like he said you might develop or realise you have a passion for whatever the outcome is. It was a good starting point for career advice though!

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Meh, this talk is just a bit lacking. Firstly, he talked about people with personalities that fit a salesman or w/e then went on to claim it doesn't work for them because their interests might change and they should do what matches their skills? Also tbh I was waiting on the statistics or his reason for why people who are set on a path burn out quickly, I had a couple ideas of my own but he only lightly touched on it. Then he's talking about doing what's valuable, but everything and every job is valuable in some way, I think he was aiming at figuring out what we find personally valuable, which in a way is to do with passion too. He had the main point I suppose but it wasn't a well thought out presentation, though he was clearer nearer to the end. At the end of the day imo it's about figuring out what motivates you to work hard at something and using that to work out how you can combine it with your skills and interests to look at a career option, then like he said you might develop or realise you have a passion for whatever the outcome is. It was a good starting point for career advice though!

Well the main thing I got out of it was: You most likely don't have the same passions you had 10 years ago. 10 Years from now you most likely won't have them either. Passion is built from success, not the other way around. People are better off gauging what to do based on the labor market and catering those skills to the ones in demand. Passion will be built from this success.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well the main thing I got out of it was: You most likely don't have the same passions you had 10 years ago. 10 Years from now you most likely won't have them either. Passion is built from success, not the other way around. People are better off gauging what to do based on the labor market and catering those skills to the ones in demand. Passion will be built from this success.

I can see that but I also don't think it's the case for everyone, as someone else had commented on his video, this guy was still following his passion which in his case is achieving altruism, what you got from it is you need success first, that can be a passion to, it might be what motivates you, and if that's what motivates you then you're on the right path to figuring out where you want to head. Some people really aren't motivated by success, I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of people making bank and are relatively successful that are unhappy with their jobs. Success may very well not be what motivates them in that case, or maybe it stopped being their motivation. I mean I remember being shocked some years ago that someone I talked to hadn't even considered being successful when thinking of his career path. Motivations change, I think the better part for him to have dug in deeper is why people burn out after following their passion, and technically if you have a passion then you must find it to be of some value. The video kinda made me thing of the Enneagram tbh, how everyone has different needs, desires and such, I've been recently looking at my enneagram type to form a combination to understand what it is I want to get out of life and then combining it with what I'd want to get out of a job. When you find what you know is valuable to you whether that involves being of value to others or being successful or both then I think that's what's important. But I still say just look at a combo of what you're good at, what pays well and what you'll like doing as a basic tbh.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

"When a successful person is interviewed, and you say, 'What was the secret to your success?' what they can't say, because society won't let them, is: 'I was smarter, I worked harder, I had better connections, and I got really lucky,'" Adams tells Business Insider. "Instead, they go with a democratic trait: passion."

Lol, I will never be successful if connections are involved omg. But again he was motivated by something to work hard and smart, maybe people just keep pushing passion around and don't know entirely what it means idk

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yup essentially it's a easy answer with no meaning.

Or people need to try and understand it's meaning before throwing it around unnecessarily :p

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"When a successful person is interviewed, and you say, 'What was the secret to your success?' what they can't say, because society won't let them, is: 'I was smarter, I worked harder, I had better connections, and I got really lucky,'" Adams tells Business Insider. "Instead, they go with a democratic trait: passion."

Lol, I will never be successful if connections are involved omg. But again he was motivated by something to work hard and smart, maybe people just keep pushing passion around and don't know entirely what it means idk

I think pure luck plays an enormous role in people's "success" (however one wants to define that). That's also why I tend to be sympathetic to the disadvantaged. I got very lucky in terms of a number of social factors and genetic traits that gave me a significant head start, compared to most people, in achieving some degree of "success" in my life. "Nobless oblige" compels me to give something back to the world, but it's my extraversion coupled with some powerful Fe that built the interpersonal network that sustains me and my family economically.

While that's useful, a truly loving relationship that provides some degree of emotional stability would be, for me, a greater "success" than any amount of material wealth.

Hint to all--I think I'm almost there!

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Or people need to try and understand it's meaning before throwing it around unnecessarily :p

You're leaving forever, or just for today? :(

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If you make friends with some quality people, then they start introducing you to other cool people...it's more about the quality of the connection than the quantity.

See ya later.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't understand why you can't follow your passion with knowing that simply following it is not enough.I mean unless your passion is killing people, then please don't follow that passion.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My passion is in bed. I do what i enjoy as a career. Have a passion, make it a hobby, not a career. Way to many passions are killed in the business by stupid political shit. I enjoy what i do, i stay out of anything political as much as possible. I still enjoy my job, doesnt kean i will always enjoy this company, or that company or my current project. But i enjoy programming and i will switch gears to remove what i dont enjoy and keep trucking.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't understand why you can't follow your passion with knowing that simply following it is not enough.I mean unless your passion is killing people, then please don't follow that passion.

People like absolute truths to follow. It supposedly makes life easier, but life has no absolute truths other then the cores like everything will continue to move forward...aka, time...and you will die.

I cant stand 99% of the absolute truths people try to push.

wolfy

awsm
bRITISH HUMAN YAS!!!!
also i can actually watch this since verrrry relevant atm.
i think someone posted a venn diagram a while ago related to what career to pursue with what you're good at, what you want to do and what pays well.

That is from Jim Collin's book Good to Great I think. It is called the hedgehog concept.

wolfy

awsm
Have a passion, make it a hobby, not a career. Way to many passions are killed in the business by stupid political shit.

Yeah, I think so too. Realistically, you are working for bosses and customers, there is so much give and take that it takes all the self expression that drives passion out of it.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Passion can be the thing that gets you off the ground initially. You know, that first step -- that first bit of motivation. From there, success does feed back into passion, sure. All you need to do is check your pulse every once in a while to see whether your passions have deviated from what you'd followed initially.