• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't follow your passion

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Blah blah blah. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I followed the money. It does have its benefits.

Mostly I think it is about doing things you enjoy and the road to that is to leverage your natural talents and abilities on a consistent basis. Just find out where your natural talents are AND those things that give you energy because it's possible to be good at things you don't enjoy.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is true that it is hard to know what you are passionate about. So he is right about that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is true that it is hard to know what you are passionate about. So he is right about that.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I'd change that to say it can be hard to know what you're passionate about *that also allows you to survive* / there's the market/potential to survive - ofc needing to accept risks too, like [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] mentioned.

For some people, the two might line up easily -- like, the ESTP or xNTJ guy that's super into the stock market and financial world - I mean, hello, there's a giant industry around just that.

Or someone who's incredibly passionate about teaching and helping youth -- well, there's an industry around that. And there will always in some capacity be a need and demand for that -- with lots of niches.

Vs someone who is passionate about making wooden carvings. Well.... there could be a market for it, there's not any guarantee even through hard work that the person will make enough money to live off of just sales of that, and then the person is faced with a real dilemma of 'well I'm passionate about X but maybe I won't ever make enough money to pay bills, or I'll have to sacrifice a lot of other things to pursue that, etc.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I'd change that to say it can be hard to know what you're passionate about *that also allows you to survive* / there's the market/potential to survive - ofc needing to accept risks too, like [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] mentioned.

For some people, the two might line up easily -- like, the ESTP or xNTJ guy that's super into the stock market and financial world - I mean, hello, there's a giant industry around just that.

Or someone who's incredibly passionate about teaching and helping youth -- well, there's an industry around that. And there will always in some capacity be a need and demand for that -- with lots of niches.

Vs someone who is passionate about making wooden carvings. Well.... there could be a market for it, there's not any guarantee even through hard work that the person will make enough money to live off of just sales of that, and then the person is faced with a real dilemma of 'well I'm passionate about X but maybe I won't ever make enough money to pay bills, or I'll have to sacrifice a lot of other things to pursue that, etc.

Things change though. I used to be passionate about riding a bicycle. I haven't been for a long time. i never would have imagined running a web site. Your interests change as time goes on so what he says about not following your passion is correct.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Things change though. I used to be passionate about riding a bicycle. I haven't been for a long time. i never would have imagined running a web site. Your interests change as time goes on so what he says about not following your passion is correct.

Sure, I can see some things changing. However I've had some lifelong passions that have stayed super solid. I'm sure it varies by person.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A part of me doesnt want to share my passions with others or "taint it" with money. I never really wanted to pursue far-off "dreams" like being a poet or fine artist or whatever appealed to me since childhood. I honestly dont feel like I owe anything to anyone, but that is a feeling I usually keep private. My public stance is that an ideal world would allow everyone to contribute their best by being allowed to cultivate their individual potential, which likely would be related to natural aptitude and interests. But it is not an ideal world, and I need to eat :D.

So all I've really wanted is to feel engaged by, confident in, and adept at what I do. In choosing an industry, this meant that I needed some level of enjoyment and a realistic level of aptitude and skill so that people would be willing to pay me to do it. I think when we are "naturally" good at something, it feels more enjoyable, which is why I didnt want to pursue stuff I may be good at but do not "identify" with. I wanted to focus on developing skills in an area I already felt some aptitude for, that felt "natural" to me. I also feel like your marketability is less likely to become obsolete if you focus on your natural talents because I think you will evolve more easily in those areas. You can stay up to date because you will learn quickly, out of natural ability and enthusiasm.

Generally, as long as my work provides a flexible work environment, allows me some creativity (of the arty variety) and a pretty high level of autonomy, and has a reasonable amount of variety, then it may be good enough for me.

As with most areas of life, I look to cultivate themes, not specifics. That is pretty much what my "values" are - themes or concepts.

The reality is that I am probably intelligent enough (no humblebrag here....just a regular ol' brag) to do many things well enough to make a living if I bothered to apply myself. My weakness is bothering to apply myself :D. I do admit that mentally stimulating things motivate me more, so that task work is something I am really bad at; it is not because I am "above" certain work. I think work that is challenging but not frustrating is ideal. For example, even though I can enjoy teaching, being an actual teacher may have too many frustrating and draining elements (as the job really is more than just the act of teaching).

So for me, it is about managing to find something I am interested in/care enough about to bother exerting energy for and that feels rewarding because I am good at it. Since money is not my main priority in life, then the way I make money doesn't have to be the thing I am willing to exert the most energy for. I only need to be invested enough in it to exert enough energy to make the money I need.

Last edited: