• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Ambition

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know I'm posting in the academics and careers thread, but your answer need not be related to those things.

What does ambition mean to you?
Do you have it, what is the source of it?
Do you have particular ambitions, what are they?
How do these things, ambition or lack of, play out in your life?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Drive

Yes. It's just an unconscious, uncontrollable force inside me.

Hard to say. Mine are very general. I pick a theme every year to keep in mind. Everything else is too much in my head to formulate.

I always seize what I want.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ambition to me is putting your all into something, dedicating yourself to it regardless of duration.

I'm ambitious about self improvement, self integration, and finding environments and stimuli that support that. The actual thing that embodies that changes whenever it does.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a different view of ambition after a perspective/paradigm shift I just had today.
Ambition meaning you want the goal to be achieved or even achievable to come to you as soon as possible and doing whatever is possible at the moment for it.
You can enjoy life with or without ambition depending on the kind of individual you are.
Ambition to me is getting the bonuses rather than the necessaries of life.
Ambition is purely from my imagination and unless it is tangibly increasing my social worth it's hard for me to get started.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Drive

Hard to say. Mine are very general. I pick a theme every year to keep in mind. Everything else is too much in my head to formulate.

There's this certain hunger that can never be satiated. When it does get satiated though, something is very wrong.

á´…eparted

passages

An undying desire and drive to achieve a never-ending string of goals that progressively become more difficult with time.

Not really. I have always had a bunch of goals come to me out of the blue and I simply go "yup, that's what I want and I am going to get it come hell or high water".

I've had the ambition to get a PhD since I was 15 years old. I am now 1 year out from getting that. Pretty much anything I involve myself with I have to ascend to near-top dog.

I also have a huge amount of ambition to always be competent with whatever I do.

I credit my ambitions with pretty much all the successes I have had in my life as far as progressing through school and my PhD program, as well as my relations with friends, and how I "manage" friends and people. Ambitions give me a sense of purpose. It linearizes time. If I don't have that sense of purpose and progression I usually get stressed really quickly and it makes it difficult to restart those gears.

If I don't have ambition for something, it never gets far and will die quickly. Thus, losing my ambition with something is really bad and is a 1-way ticket to me losing everything I had achieved.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ambition = Se (give me what I want when I want it)

Se is my "hidden agenda" - I stink at getting what I want, generally speaking. I tend to give. I actively need and want assistance from others in getting what I want.

My most significant ambitions are best described by by avatar--me, my mate, and my children, in unity, basking under the giving light of the sun. I'd also like to write novels and change the world. I'd like greater financial resources so that I could travel more. I'd like to be "famous" in some way--to go down in history being loved by half the planet and loathed by the other half. This ENFj performer wants either applause or rotten vegetables. What he can't abide is silence and apathy.

My ambitions drive much, if not most, of my behavior. In fact, the extent to which my ambitions drive me may be quite unhealthy.

Lark

I know I'm posting in the academics and careers thread, but your answer need not be related to those things.

If I've got any ambitions its to do with leadership and change, I think there's a lot of change which can not be realised or not completely, which would make things better for everyone, but at the same time I think that, unfortunately, who is and isnt in leadership roles does determine a lot in terms of organisational culture etc. etc.

It took me a long time to realise that if you're wishing constantly for better leaders and there arent any its maybe because the better leader is you.

Its something I'm conflicted about because if there were better candidates than myself a lot of the time, or people I'd consider barely competent, I'd not be interested in those leadership roles at all, but I've noticed over time that ignoring it all and hoping for the best doesnt result in the best.

I'd clarify that this isnt exclusively or entirely about my working life, in fact its with regard to all spheres of life, also I'm aware that simply thinking or feeling this way about things means absolutely squat, elite recruitment is subject to fashions and vogues too, like anything else, and all that before you get to considering should there even be elites per se and whether or not elitism of that kind should be a norm at all.

Besides all that I'd like to learn all I can while I live, I'd like to be less lonely and meet as many people who feel the same way too. That's about it.

Lark

Drive

Do you think in terms of optimising or maximising? Having or being?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think in terms of optimising or maximising? Having or being?

All of them. Being is the harder one though, but more rewarding. I'm already being. So it's coming to terms with that usually.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
-it means having a goal and not giving up
-depends on what it is
-yes to prove i am capable of getting my degree
-if i want something and i fail i'm more likely to get back up again and try again if i want it bad enough. if i don't have ambition towards that thing i won't try again.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i'm the least ambitious person on the planet no matter which definition we're using

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

A fierce sense of unrest that propels you and makes you determined.

Yes and I don't know. I think I was born with it.

To express myself with art, to hold true to my principles, to make the world a better place.

It means I never stop trying even if trying is dumb or unwise. Not because I want to but because I have to.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm the least ambitious person on the planet no matter which definition we're using

False. It's your greatest ambition to be the least ambitious. Welcome to the real world you ain't top dog for this.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
False. It's your greatest ambition to be the least ambitious. Welcome to the real world you ain't top dog for this.

? not really, id rather have ambition

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The spark to make a mark in the world. It means a great deal to exist in the world as a creator. An artist.

A overwhelming desire to express my creativity.

Writing anime inspired stories, and maybe animating. For people to see new perspectives. Also to play around with modding games and see where I can go with it.

They come as a futurism. A vision of myself and the work I'd created. Overtime, it has become scattered and burned out from depression... trying to reignite the spark.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Realization: Dream too large to subsist heart-trapped.

Conception: Willing to invest hard work & resources 4 quest.

Actualization: Goal hits target.

Yes. Nature a n d Nurture.

Yes.

…. Use all produce in fridge before it goes bad.

…… Finish school/fulfill aspirations in new field.

……….. Possibly aid in formation of new school/hospital protocols.

…………… Improve liquid-eyeliner-application skills.

…………………. Etcetera

Have helped me achieve/experience much (kick my a**).

Have learnt: avoid being foolishly stubborn in pursuit. If spinning wheels > the object of ambition may not be organic or appropriate. Let it go + use energy to better serve other interests.

Still learning: Non-stop change (chase of ambition) not needed. Sometimes ‘this moment’ = good enough. Enjoy the asking of questions as much as the receiving of answers.

Mole

Permabanned

Ambition means being so out of touch with oneself that in desperation we latch onto an ambition.

The source of ambition is usually an authoritarian upbringing, that cuts us off from our inner springs of life, and leaves us playthings of social control.

My only ambition is to slough off all ambition.

Without ambition I experience springing delight.