• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sleep late? There's a scientific reason, and change is likely needed to reflect this

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If I had my way, I would sleep from about 2am to 10am. That's been impossible for many years now so I try to be in bed by 10 or 11 and up at 5:30. Because I work from home and my ENFJ works from home, we often take an hour nap. This works great for us. But we're both night people, no matter what kind of adjustments we've tried, it doesn't change our natural sleep patterns.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't want it to change. Going to sleep at like 4 A.M. and then going through my day accomplishing everything makes me feel like a God.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When summer vacation comes in a couple weeks, I'm literally going to be completely nocturnal within like 3 days.

INTP!

MBTI Type
INTP
My sleep patterns are changeable. I suspect that others can adjust their patterns too. It's easier if it's done in one hour increments. If I want to wake up at 8 instead of 9, then I adjust my evening. I make sure I do my routine earlier. Like make sure I'm done with whatever needs to be done earlier. If I watch a show to wind down, I do that an hour earlier.

If you try to go from sleeping till noon to waking up at 7, of course that will seem impossible and be painful to adjust too. I've at times normally stayed up till 2 or 3 am and get up at 10 or 11 am. And now I am going to bed normally from 10pm to midnight, and waking up at 7 or 8. Neither is harder or easier once it's routine. But I don't make large adjustments at one time.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My sleep patterns are changeable. I suspect that others can adjust their patterns too. It's easier if it's done in one hour increments. If I want to wake up at 8 instead of 9, then I adjust my evening. I make sure I do my routine earlier. Like make sure I'm done with whatever needs to be done earlier. If I watch a show to wind down, I do that an hour earlier.

If you try to go from sleeping till noon to waking up at 7, of course that will seem impossible and be painful to adjust too. I've at times normally stayed up till 2 or 3 am and get up at 10 or 11 am. And now I am going to bed normally from 10pm to midnight, and waking up at 7 or 8. Neither is harder or easier once it's routine. But I don't make large adjustments at one time.

Yes, I've tried that method before, at the beginning of each semester. And then as soon as school is out and I'm on break again, I immediately revert back to what my body naturally wants to do with my sleep schedule.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pulling an all nighter actually gives me euphoria and if done once in a year could actually increase my motivation and energy levels more than actually sleeping would.

edit: idk why i assumed this was about pulling all nighters oops.

Hm... I don't know if sleep schedules affect my mood or my mood affects my sleep schedules. Okay obviously both affect eachother but... When depressed I definitely sleep in later and go to bed later, whilst when healthy I feel amazing enough to wake up energetic by 6am and actually pay attention to my body's desire to rest at let's say 10:30pm

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
School's not even officially over yet because it's finals week next week, and I'm already up all night, it's 6 am and I'm just now going to bed, Bless :')

Goya

I'm more of a noon person. If I could, I would wake up around 9:30 and go to bed around 00:15.

Snakewise

It would be nice if I could sleep earlier, but it's not going to happen. My body evidently just won't let me. If I go to bed between 4-6 am? I will get 8 hours of sleep. If I do it between 12-3 am? I will wake up 2 hours later. Doesn't matter if I've been up for an entire day and fall asleep because I just can't stay awake any longer. 2 Hours later, up and about.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate how they organize all schedules for the world to be the same. Morning hours. Go to sleep early, wake early. Everything is early. Us night owls have it difficult unless we specifically go on night shifts. (Which is much more scarce and specific)

My sleep tends to be chaotic. I go from sleeping too little, to sleeping too much. Because of the stress of this.

The world is only built for a specific kind of people. The rest merely have to accommodate to the rest of the world.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sleep patterns have been the same since I was about 12. Fall asleep around 2am, wake at 10. Of course I'd drag my ass outta bed at 630-45 back then for school. When the lost sleep caught up w/me more & more, I'd just walk to school late. This led to multiple after school detentions & a few in-school suspensions. I didn't care, I still got my work done, still passed everything, with honors. Eventually the punishments stopped. Lectures & warnings of action continued, but never came to fruition.

I can't nap, it never works. I like my 2/3-10/11 schedule, though. I feel my best/most rested this way. Healthy, energized, efficient.

My sleep gets outta whack if I'm ill or stressed. I'll stay up a few hrs later, which puts my sleep time closer to sunrise - even farther from the norm, despite the fact that it's similar to someone with a typical 10pm bedtime going to bed at 1.

Fortunately, my life currently doesn't demand I alter my natural rhythm terribly often. I have a 9am vet appt tomorrow, though, so I took an antihistamine (OTC sleeping pill) early last night so I'd wake up on time tomorrow morning. When I say early last night, I mean about 6pm. I'm highly sensitive to sedatives, even if I take half the dose, I usually will be conked out hours after I've had adequate sleep. I feel fine, now, after 12+ hours of sleep. Better trade off for me, though. I used to just pull all-nighters when I had to be up early. I'd feel like garbage all day, & my body would kind of get a second wind after a certain point- so I'd still be up til 2-3am, or even later, despite my exhaustion. I'd rather take the lightly drugged extra sleep.

Although I'll go to bed early tonight on my own, my body will quickly revert back to its usual rhythm in a day or so. It's just how I'm built. I'm good with it. :shrug:

Keikoppi

MBTI Type
Orly
Enneagram
mia
Sleep pattern is easily distributed through your eating hour. It IS possible to change your sleeping pattern. Make sure you get your needed sleep too.

Determine the time you want to wake up w/ some alarm and establish a new breakf st, lunch and dinner hour. Within 3days you should get in a new routine. This helps with jetlag too. I hope your just fit enough to be capable of it. I use to be able to change it all the time, until I didnt take care of my health that I had low blood pressure.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be a night owl until the military happened. On holidays, I would be sleeping at 3-4am, and be waking up at 1pm. On normal days, I would be sleeping at 12am and be waking up at 6am. Felt terrible, be it on holidays or normal days. On holidays I would feel super lethargic despite sleeping a lot, and on normal days I would still feel super lethargic because of not enough sleep.

The military put my normal days on steroids, where I have to get up at 5:30am every workday. It took a while to get used to, and I still wish that I could wake up when the sun is just rising, but ultimately it's for the better. I'm more productive in the morning as I can quickly get my priorities out of the way, leaving the afternoon free for me to do whatever I want.

Bottom line is that I like the flexibility that getting up in the morning offers me. That being said, I find that I'm most refreshed when I go to sleep at 12am, and wake up at 7:45-8am the next day.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AutoMEQ

Hey this is about right.

Your score is 34.

YOUR MORNINGNESS-EVENINGNESS TYPE IS CONSIDERED TO BE MODERATE EVENING.

Morningness-eveningness scores range from 16-86. Scores of 41 and below indicate "evening types." Scores of 59 and above indicate "morning types." Scores between 42-58 indicate "intermediate types."

WE ESTIMATE THAT YOUR MELATONIN ONSET OCCURS AT ABOUT 11:15 pm.

*saliva concentration of 3 picograms per milliliter

The time you are first able to fall asleep easily (assuming that you keep a regular sleep schedule) is related to the time that your brain begins to produce melatonin in the evening or at night.

WE ESTIMATE THAT YOUR "NATURAL" BEDTIME IS AT ABOUT 1:00 am.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
AutoMEQ

Hey this is about right.

Your score is 34.

YOUR MORNINGNESS-EVENINGNESS TYPE IS CONSIDERED TO BE MODERATE EVENING.

Morningness-eveningness scores range from 16-86. Scores of 41 and below indicate "evening types." Scores of 59 and above indicate "morning types." Scores between 42-58 indicate "intermediate types."

WE ESTIMATE THAT YOUR MELATONIN ONSET OCCURS AT ABOUT 11:15 pm.

*saliva concentration of 3 picograms per milliliter

The time you are first able to fall asleep easily (assuming that you keep a regular sleep schedule) is related to the time that your brain begins to produce melatonin in the evening or at night.

WE ESTIMATE THAT YOUR "NATURAL" BEDTIME IS AT ABOUT 1:00 am.

I broke it lol. It won't load my results and it told me after 2 questions that my sleep schedule is too fucked up for their test to be very accurate but that I could continue anyway if I wanted. It consistently breaks around the "do you consider yourself a morning or evening person" question.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's really easy for me to adjust my sleep schedule, I just need about an hour to get out of bed, and get something to eat. Maybe next school year I should try waking up 30 min earlier and see how that goes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I enjoy swing shift the best, but take the night shift when I can otherwise.

This whole thing reminds me of the whole "women lose productivity because men are monsters that wear ridiculous amounts of warm clothing in the middle of summer because they're all too busy stroking male ego to put on a pair of shorts" thing. I mean... A LOT of businesses in France and Japan were not open early mornings. It was later in the day. To me, that seems to be better really. Let early people enjoy their mornings, let late people sleep it off, and everyone can get on the same, later, page.

... though, this is coming from the person that much prefers 12 hour shifts 3 days a week to 8 hours 5 days a week. It just seems far more efficient to have 4 entire days off a week vs 2. Like I'm not wasting my whole existence at work. It makes me resent it less.

á´…eparted

passages
... though, this is coming from the person that much prefers 12 hour shifts 3 days a week to 8 hours 5 days a week. It just seems far more efficient to have 4 entire days off a week vs 2. Like I'm not wasting my whole existence at work. It makes me resent it less.

YES. I would kill to have a job set up like that! I'd also GLADLY take 4 10 hour days.