• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sleep late? There's a scientific reason, and change is likely needed to reflect this

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ah, this comes naturally with age. If you once have to work hard for your potatoes, you'll be happy falling asleep 8 pm. At University I staied up til 6 am, then real life came. No much science in that. :)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ah, this comes naturally with age. If you once have to work hard for your potatoes, you'll be happy falling asleep 8 pm. At University I staied up til 6 am, then real life came. No much science in that. :)

Implying that someone like me who works 2 jobs, often 7 days a week, never went to uni and still struggles with this isn't working hard for his potatoes and isn't living a 'real life'.

No dice I'm afraid. If I spend any more time pulling myself up by the bootstraps I'll be strangling myself.

Of course I could just be a magic exception, but I doubt it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Implying that someone like me who works 2 jobs, often 7 days a week, never went to uni and still struggles with this isn't working hard for his potatoes and isn't living a 'real life'.

No dice I'm afraid. If I spend any more time pulling myself up by the bootstraps I'll be strangling myself.

Of course I could just be a magic exception, but I doubt it.

Exceptions Prove the rule :)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am both a night owl and an early riser :smile: I am a big fan of the siesta, works for me perfectly.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think most people over time end up adapting to going to bed earlier and bed later over time. I use to stay up late now i've gotten old and i'm in bed by 10 sometimes even 8 and up by 8 (usually up around 6 or 7) and 8:30 is sleeping in for me. :shrug: I do tend to go to bed earlier in the winter and wake up earlier I really tend to wake up naturally with the sun and go to bed about an hour or 2 after it goes down. I could've lived just fine when people lived with the schedule of the sun.

in the winter i have to force myself to not go to bed at 6 or 7.

note i said most not all so please don't go but that didn't happen to me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
You know, I think for me there just aren't enough hours in the day, so I end up staying up late (and of course regretting it in the morning). I love sleeping a really long time and being awake a really long time. Like if I had 10-12 hours at night to sleep and say 18 hours of day, things would be perfect.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sleep extremely erratically. It's gotten to the point recently where I will just stay up for 40 hours, then sleep in several waves of 5, 8, or 14 hours for the next two to three days. I have the same mindset where I have to be exhausted before falling asleep, though I think it has more to do with mental exhaustion. My mind will keep racing instead, once I am awake. Once I'm asleep, I generally never want to wake, and I've noticed that I take a lot of time to recharge once I obviate that to my system that I can rest. I've just been blaming it on weak Si, but hopefully it's something that can be regulated better if need be...

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know what my problem is. I have too much going on in my head. I guess a mental mind dump would help things greatly. Writing it somewhere I can remember where it is in the morning.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I work graveyard and I like it! Swing shit would be preferred for me but graveyard will do.

Lots of jobs have night shift opportunities, just keep your eyes open. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love night shifts too. Not so much hubbub. Only part I don't like is driving home next morning. :yawn:

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to have a job where my shift started at 4 a.m.

So I would wake up at 2:30 a.m. to get ready and commute. So I went to bed earlier.

Then I moved to second shift and didn't start until 2 p.m. So I stayed up late and woke up after noon.

Are people seriously confused by this? Is it not immediately apparent that if you have to get up earlier, you need to go to sleep earlier? Am I the only one on this planet that seems to get this? It's simple math. You need a certain minimum amount of sleep to function or you die/fail/get-fired/crash-your-car.

So get some sleep or die. Easy choice, ya?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are people seriously confused by this? Is it not immediately apparent that if you have to get up earlier, you need to go to sleep earlier? Am I the only one on this planet that seems to get this? It's simple math. You need a certain minimum amount of sleep to function or you die/fail/get-fired/crash-your-car.

So get some sleep or die. Easy choice, ya?

Um, no? It's not that simple? I can't fall asleep if I'm not tired?? Just because you have an easy time adjusting your sleep schedule doesn't mean everyone else is the same way.

You think people with major sleep problems like those who have talked about it in this thread haven't tried going to bed earlier, or even trying to knock themselves out with sleep meds in order to fix their schedule?? It just doesn't work for some people. And the people who complain about it, complain about it because they've tried everything.

It's also not to say that they don't get enough sleep. Perhaps during the week they don't get as much sleep, but then end up severely oversleeping on the weekends to make up for it. Though that isn't very healthy either, it's the only thing they can really do.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um, no? It's not that simple? I can't fall asleep if I'm not tired?? Just because you have an easy time adjusting your sleep schedule doesn't mean everyone else is the same way.

You think people with major sleep problems like those who have talked about it in this thread haven't tried going to bed earlier, or even trying to knock themselves out with sleep meds in order to fix their schedule?? It just doesn't work for some people. And the people who complain about it, complain about it because they've tried everything.

It's also not to say that they don't get enough sleep. Perhaps during the week they don't get as much sleep, but then end up severely oversleeping on the weekends to make up for it. Though that isn't very healthy either, it's the only thing they can really do.

Well maybe I might be the bad guy here but our internal clock can change. Your body won't be used to the first nights so yeah it'll suck and you'll have to lay there for a while. But sleep consistently at that new time and you'll adapt. :)

*From experience, sleeping to a new earlier time can suck.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well maybe I might be the bad guy here but our internal clock can change. Your body won't be used to the first nights so yeah it'll suck and you'll have to lay there for a while. But sleep consistently at that new time and you'll adapt. :)

*From experience, sleeping to a new earlier time can suck.

No matter how many times I have fixed and readjusted my sleep schedule in my life, I always, always revert back to this. I was not meant to be awake during the morning.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No matter how many times I have fixed and readjusted my sleep schedule in my life, I always, always revert back to this. I was not meant to be awake during the morning.

Have you done the thing for at least a week straight? Not meaning to push your button here.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you done the thing for at least a week straight? Not meaning to push your button here.

Yeah, over a week of trying, usually between 1-2 weeks. Occasionally longer, but not by much. The misery of being awake in the morning just never goes away, either. :(

I have remedied this by choosing afternoon and evening classes at school when available. god help me after college.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, over a week of trying, usually between 1-2 weeks. Occasionally longer, but not by much. The misery of being awake in the morning just never goes away, either. :(

That's for sure. It's a discipline. Sorry to hear that. :(

D'Ascoyne

I have remedied this by choosing afternoon and evening classes at school when available. god help me after college.

That's for sure. It's a discipline. Sorry to hear that. :(

Some people are wired differently. It's certainly possible to alter their schedule to adapt to the standard of 9-5 workdays, however, it's simply not organic. Even if they are able to maintain a standard schedule for decades, it won't feel completely natural. Left to their own devices, they will quickly fall back to their preferred, individual system of sleeping and waking at whatever time suits them. I exist in this 9-5 workday and have been doing so for over a decade, so I know whereof I speak. I work hard at making it work, but it doesn't fit my natural rhythms and that feeling never goes away. Also, making it work is difficult. I hate it.

Sleep issues run in my family and several of us have gone through more than one sleep clinic. We've been through batteries of medical tests in hopes of nailing it down to a health culprit or hormonal issues, but nothing ever comes up because we're a healthy bunch. The only thing that's been deemed "unhealthy" is the sleep thing. Some of the suggestions from doctors and health practitioners have helped in minor ways, but they are simply minor hacks and ultimately irrelevant because there is no real problem. It's not an issue of an "inherent," moldable discipline which we somehow need to harness; the issue is we don't fit into the current socially-acceptable box.