User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Best Tips for Memorization (Medical Jargon...)

    For the next year I am going to be heavily focused on medical practices and terminology. I was wondering if anyone had practical tips for me as far as retaining the minutiae and jargon?

    Anatomy posters? Flashcards? I have a chalkboard and spare wall space that I can devote to learning. I enjoy memorization and learning but will be on an accelerated time-line and am a bit nervous about retaining everything I am cramming in.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    When I took medical terminology, I found flashcards worked really well. I think they actually came with one of my textbooks. There is a lot to learn and it might seem daunting but you will get them and eventually you will use them so much in your classes, it becomes natural. Think of it as leaning another language - speaking it as much as possible is how you learn. Get with your classmates if possible.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    Quizlet.


    johari
    nohari
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  4. #4
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    For the next year I am going to be heavily focused on medical practices and terminology. I was wondering if anyone had practical tips for me as far as retaining the minutiae and jargon?

    Anatomy posters? Flashcards? I have a chalkboard and spare wall space that I can devote to learning. I enjoy memorization and learning but will be on an accelerated time-line and am a bit nervous about retaining everything I am cramming in.

    Thanks in advance!
    Flashcards are good, Mnemonics, visual aids.

    If you think you have a visual memory, or are interested in memory tricks in general, I'd suggest picking up the book Moonwalking with Einstein

    It builds on the fact or idea that humans remember imagery and stories quite well, as opposed to contextless facts, numbers, and names. It has you construct "memory palaces" that house memories and thoughts. I use them now when it comes to professional certifications, prepping for meetings, etc.


    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  5. #5
    Liberator Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    24,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    For the next year I am going to be heavily focused on medical practices and terminology. I was wondering if anyone had practical tips for me as far as retaining the minutiae and jargon?

    Anatomy posters? Flashcards? I have a chalkboard and spare wall space that I can devote to learning. I enjoy memorization and learning but will be on an accelerated time-line and am a bit nervous about retaining everything I am cramming in.
    When I have had to memorize large amounts of terminology, I have found flashcards to be the best way. I studied several foreign languages, which always entailed learning large vocabulary lists. Then later I was studying for the A+ computer certification - again, lots of terminology. I would cut index cards in half and write the word I needed to know on the front, and the definition (or English translation) on the back. I would go through them every day, and after I got one right 2 or 3 times, I would remove it from the stack. This concentrated my efforts on the items I hadn't learned. Every so often I would return the set-aside cards to the deck and do a complete review.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  6. #6
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,912

    Default

    Memory system.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    When I took medical terminology, I found flashcards worked really well. I think they actually came with one of my textbooks. There is a lot to learn and it might seem daunting but you will get them and eventually you will use them so much in your classes, it becomes natural. Think of it as leaning another language - speaking it as much as possible is how you learn. Get with your classmates if possible.
    Hmmm. I think in linguistics so that actually is uber helpful. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Quizlet.

    Can't believe I was unaware of this. Feel like a kid in a candy store. Yum! Thanks so much!

  9. #9
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Flashcards are good, Mnemonics, visual aids.

    If you think you have a visual memory, or are interested in memory tricks in general, I'd suggest picking up the book Moonwalking with Einstein

    It builds on the fact or idea that humans remember imagery and stories quite well, as opposed to contextless facts, numbers, and names. It has you construct "memory palaces" that house memories and thoughts. I use them now when it comes to professional certifications, prepping for meetings, etc.
    I've been utilizing memory palaces for a bit since getting more access to Sherlock but no doubt my techniques could use tweaking. I will definitely take a gander at the book. Thank you ever so much for directing my attention to it!

  10. #10
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Memory system.

    "Building a Filing Cabinet In My Mind" sounds perfect. Wow! You Guy's are killing this. My gratitude is huge. Thank you so much.

Similar Threads

  1. Tips for Communicating With an Extroverted Thinker
    By Addict_Inquiry in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM
  2. [NT] NT tips for lasting relationship
    By sakuraba in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
  3. [NF] NF Tips for a Lasting Relationship
    By wedekit in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 07:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO