• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It's never too late, right?

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I have taken the plunge. After getting out of a job that I didn't need, and discovered that I didn't want because of the attempt to stuff me into this belief of everyone should feel good and happy (and efficiency be damned), I'm going back to school.

I'm 30 years old. Had I stayed home and not run off to Canada to get married, I'd have my degree by now, and I'd be teaching.

But I didn't, and I'm happy to be with my husband, but I'd always felt like I'd missed out by not getting my degree.

I start distance classes with a school in Alberta on October 1. :)

I'm so stoked! The first class I'm taking (which I have up to six months to complete, but can be done in far less, since it's a set-your-own-pace but still accredited type of thing) is Ancient Greece. If they accept all of my credits from school back home, then I'll be almost half way to a bachelor's degree. :)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds great!
I admire your courage and wish you all the best...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I have taken the plunge. After getting out of a job that I didn't need, and discovered that I didn't want because of the attempt to stuff me into this belief of everyone should feel good and happy (and efficiency be damned), I'm going back to school.

I'm 30 years old. Had I stayed home and not run off to Canada to get married, I'd have my degree by now, and I'd be teaching.

But I didn't, and I'm happy to be with my husband, but I'd always felt like I'd missed out by not getting my degree.

I start distance classes with a school in Alberta on October 1. :)

I'm so stoked! The first class I'm taking (which I have up to six months to complete, but can be done in far less, since it's a set-your-own-pace but still accredited type of thing) is Ancient Greece. If they accept all of my credits from school back home, then I'll be almost half way to a bachelor's degree. :)
Congratulations!

I know how you feel. I blew off finishing my degree years ago, with just one class to go. I'm back in school for this fall semester and really enjoying it.

School is so much easier than the real world, it's ridiculous. If only I had realized this years ago. I slacked off so much the first time around that I want to go back in time and kick my own ass.

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
I applaud your efforts and no it's never too late. You're just 30 for crying out loud no it's certainly not too late! Good luck

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
You're just 30 for crying out loud no it's certainly not too late! Good luck

Yeah, it definitely isn't too late. Or, if it is, I'm going to get depressed right now for being 26... I have only three and a half years before I'm so old no one needs me anymore. :happy:

Usehername

On a mission
Congratulations on being brave!

Something not fun to consider: Most universities have what's called a "residence requirement" meaning you must complete x number of total credit hours at the place where you're claiming your degree. I'd thoroughly investigate the website to find the answer, and then I'd call to confirm this was still true, noting the person's name, and then I'd call again on another day and confirm this was true from another person (because jobs like these are usually short-term placements and not everyone is thoroughly "in the know" with the goings on and loopholes in systems) and then I'd call again and try to worm my way around it using heart-tugging rhetoric about how you're stuck in another country because you're being a loyal wife and all that stuff. And see if they can bend the rules for you. And then I'd get it in writing and make copies and save some to my computer and put one in a friend's place whom I trust to keep it safe in case of a fire at my place.

Otherwise you might waste your time

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I am very excited for you. I always put off school thinking that once I knew what I wanted to do "when I grew up" then I would go. Of couse, I never have and now that I am 41 I wonder if I've waited too long. My husband has been very encouraging and supportive of me going at various times and doesn't understand why I haven't. I guess I have just been too afraid to take the plunge.

You are a great example. Enjoy this time.