• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Changing my college major for the 4th time

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
this is a real challenge. I can tell you, trying to figure it out from your head alone won't work. One great way to figure this out, experience, try in some way to actually do or witness the work on some level, that will let you know what you really like and dislike. Just don't ignore that feeling that says you are forcing this, but I don't know if I would recommend picking something out of pure passion. Like starting a business, maybe you could find something that you enjoy and will pay the bills. You can always change or have more then one career going at a time. For example you could become an accountant and when not working, pursue a side business as an artist or dog walker or whatever. It also could really help to stop obsessing about it. If you can't take a break from school, then take a break from thinking about it. Sometimes I think we try to hard to get answers, we have to figure it out, but don't try too hard. Just focus on enjoying your classes, friends, etc... take a break from thinking about it for a week or however long you need. Probably not a good idea to make a decision while you are feeling frantic. Just calm yourself down and think about with the combination of head and heart. Good luck.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I took a different approach.

A career to me is something you work towards along the way--most people do not find their careers in college.. especially here in the US if you are here.

Instead, I would suggest picking a flexible major. Something useful with skills people appreciate and admire the principles behind vs just the education itself. The example I like to use: we hired an IT guy that had a major in microbiology. What does that have to do with IT? Nothing. IT is a lot of times self taught... but the guy definitely could show off that he was smart, and dedicated with that degree. A degree in languages means you can be bilingual which transfers all over the world everywhere regardless of your position. There's a lot of education that can build you up as a person without directly being a slot in a specific box of a career. Degrees don't mean shit after 1 year of work here in the US... when you're in, you're in. The education itself is what they care about. Even doctors don't need a science-related degree to get into medical school. Education is more flexible than people think.

I ended up getting my degree in nursing. I don't think I want to be a nurse for life.. I don't have the calling for it some people do where they go to work and just love everything about it. I find pleasure in most work I do as long as it's work that is well earned and not monotonous, and so I can enjoy nursing. But the degree itself is very very flexible, gives me skills and knowledge that helps me in many aspects of my life, and I can always pick up easy work as a nurse if something happens. I can travel with it. And nurses are symbols of care, and passion and trust. So people can respect it even if my career goes into a totally different direction.

College itself won't find what you're looking for.. and the reality is, you can always get more grants, scholarships, or opportunities to educate yourself. I don't know you at all, but usually people who change so often they typically have nothing in mind and little experience in the real world... so they're stalling. Don't think of yourself as trapped in one career. It's a fluid thing.. people work somewhere 1 year and change, 10 years and change. It's whenever you want to change. Maybe you'll never be someone to find a perfect job and retire from it on the first try. Maybe it takes 2 or 10 tries. I'm with the ideas of starting to work in the field you're thinking about.. just get an internship, or volunteer, or do things in your spare time. There's money to be made nearly anywhere you go.

For me, I decided to live small, travel the world, and pick a career I could work for a while, do what I need to do to be debt free and 'retire' early so that whatever work I do is for the sake of fun.. not because I need the money. The reality is I don't really have a job in mind that's perfect for me. Everything is a utility to what I really want to do. Eventually I might find a great gig I love and stay there.. but until then? I just keep on changing it up.