• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Though I am not enthusiastic about it, i have decided to teach

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you had any prior experience teaching in front of a class yet?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=18694]Magic Qwan[/MENTION]
It's possible to teach any level online now - even K-12. There are home school curriculums that are now online. If you need quiet time to brood, you may find that a good option. You can work in pajamas. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If you like politics as much as it seems you do, why don't you look at degrees in that direction?

Public Policy
Political Science
Public Administration

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
If so, it was not intended.

Also, while the sentiment is real, I was being a little overdramatic. Its more how proscribed education has become. I actually like working with kids to an extent...I feel they have more to teach us adults at times than we give them credit for and I'm more or less a kid in a grown man's body most of the time, anyway. I'm just going to have to accept I'm a little crazy, therapy and medication only gets me so far on my mood swings and innattention to the outside world, and I'm not really going to fit in anywhere. All I know is that I've inadvertantly hurt enough people that I know I should probably get out of pharmacy (hell, the only reason I'm still with this company is that I move stores when things start looking sour...like I may have to do with this very perfectionistic boss at this one store...I just have to remind myself that its not my fault I'm so spacey and I need the money, so I have to just keep moving along until I can move into a field that hurts less people.). No stable job is ADHD friendly, but teaching may not be too bad. I write as a semi-career, but my books aren't too popular and I would make more working part-time at mcdonalds than I do with my books...so I need something stable.

I'm not as bad off as a homeless person in a wartorn country, at least.
I think teaching could give you the opportunity to achieve a lot of your personal goals (like writing! Don't ever give that up!), all while providing you with a fairly relaxed schedule and a good lifestyle.

Even if you're not a fan of the curriculum, there are plenty of ways to add your own personal touch and present the information you'd want to present, giving you tremendous creativity.

While kids can be a pain in the butt, I think teaching is one of those jobs where if you can get around the requirements of some courses, you can really be creative and really personalize the experience to your interests.

You're such a wise and interesting person that I think you'd make a great teacher! The ADHD and moods will make you more fun but also more easy to relate to. My favorite teacher in high school was an emotional mess, crying over everything, but she was so endearing and sweet, we all adored her. I still go for coffee with her sometimes. :)

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was in teaching club in high school if that counts

For how long did you do it, and did you enjoy it?

I'm about to take my finals next summer to go into teaching myself (history, latin and english as a foreign language). From personal experience, here's just a couple of thoughts on the matter. -

There was a long time where I wasn't really sure if that was actually my thing. I've been more interested in the subjects I study than in actual teaching, and I think that it's really more than just the subject itself, and I wasn't alone with my "If everything else fails, I can still become a teacher" kind of attitude. Not before my practice semester did I actually realize that I'm actually enjoying what I'm about to do.

I've seen a great many people that, in my opinion, set themselves up for a disappointing and possibly exhausting job, for different reasons. There's the kind of overly idealistic teachers who want to make their classes a magical, eye-opening experience and make their students realize the wonders of the world and see the glow in their eyes. While that's certainly a noble goal and I won't deny that such moments do happen (and it's great when they do), lots of times, teaching frequently is routine, and there's stuff to be learned. It's not always fun, or great, or even exciting (like learning vocab or grammer for foreign languages), and part of the teacher's job is to make sure that the job of learning gets done, even if it means unannounced tests, drilling, grilling and the like. Sometimes, there are things you just have to know.

The other danger is of course too much routine. If you don't know yourself why you want to teach something and show little enthusiasm for your subject, then it's pretty hard to get your students excited for it. And if you're constantly disappointed at how slow your students learn and how little they know or how much noise there is in class, then you're probably picked the wrong profession, too. If you're too lenient (because you don't care) or too strict (because you just want your peace and quite) - either way, that kind of attitude will make for either a subpar teacher or a very strenous classroom atmosphere.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For how long did you do it, and did you enjoy it?

I'm about to take my finals next summer to go into teaching myself (history, latin and english as a foreign language). From personal experience, here's just a couple of thoughts on the matter. -

There was a long time where I wasn't really sure if that was actually my thing. I've been more interested in the subjects I study than in actual teaching, and I think that it's really more than just the subject itself, and I wasn't alone with my "If everything else fails, I can still become a teacher" kind of attitude. Not before my practice semester did I actually realize that I'm actually enjoying what I'm about to do.

I've seen a great many people that, in my opinion, set themselves up for a disappointing and possibly exhausting job, for different reasons. There's the kind of overly idealistic teachers who want to make their classes a magical, eye-opening experience and make their students realize the wonders of the world and see the glow in their eyes. While that's certainly a noble goal and I won't deny that such moments do happen (and it's great when they do), lots of times, teaching frequently is routine, and there's stuff to be learned. It's not always fun, or great, or even exciting (like learning vocab or grammer for foreign languages), and part of the teacher's job is to make sure that the job of learning gets done, even if it means unannounced tests, drilling, grilling and the like. Sometimes, there are things you just have to know.

The other danger is of course too much routine. If you don't know yourself why you want to teach something and show little enthusiasm for your subject, then it's pretty hard to get your students excited for it. And if you're constantly disappointed at how slow your students learn and how little they know or how much noise there is in class, then you're probably picked the wrong profession, too. If you're too lenient (because you don't care) or too strict (because you just want your peace and quite) - either way, that kind of attitude will make for either a subpar teacher or a very strenous classroom atmosphere.

I kinda liked my high school teaching club until it got old, and none of the kids seemed to care, and that got me discouraged, so I just gradually did less and less until I just let them do whatever. I felt like it was just an exercise in futility, really.

That said, I have older memories of when I did something similar in 5th grade for a class of 3rd graders, and I have much more positive memories of that. I was young and energetic, then, and though I was no stranger to heartache, abuse, and brooding back then, I tended to be happier overall. Now, even getting out of bed feels like a huge effort on my part, and I am not as excitable or prone to switching to more positive moods.

That said, nothing else sounds much better, so I might as well aim for some sort of stable paycheck.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which age were you considering? I know you said younger kids, but that's a wide category.

Now, I'm thinking middle school. I'm depressed enough that everything seems pretty much equal to me. My only desire is to withdraw and turn inward, but since I need to work to live, I could put on a happy face and sludge through as a middle school. It really is the best option knowing myself. As much as I don't feel like doing anything, I feel better doing something than nothing.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you want to persuade people about climate change and other environmental issues, have you considered a career in marketing? A lot of choices in the field and nonprofits need marketers too. You won't make a lot and don't be surprised if they want you to work a bunch of hours but the work could be interesting. It would allow you to exercise your creativity and your analytical powers and people skills. The work you have done for your sociology degree could be very helpful in that. Also that is a field that is changing right along with society, lots of variety and no one will die if you screw up, that is how I like to think of things. Also in regards to helping professions, I would make sure that teaching is really what you want to do. I currently work as a caregiver for developmentally and very physically disabled adults, through that work I have encountered and heard stories of doctors, nurses, even my fellow caregivers who are not right for any of the helping professions I think, who aren't even caring people not only give crappy service to the people who need it, but actually hurt them, for example doctors who give lack luster care to elderly disabled adults, a nurse who, instead of helping a disabled man who fell and he was huge, so the working caregive couldn't help him up on her own, just walk out of the house. So I would be sure you want to do this, because even people who enjoy the work and have the right skills burn out. I have been burned out and trust me, it is not fun. Also I agree with Kas. Like you, I was stuck in the ivory tower of my mind trying to figure out exactly what I should do, but there is no better teacher then experience. Something may seem like a great option on paper, but when you actually start doing it, you might be surprised to find you don't like it. So if I were you and considering an option, I would in some way, actually try it out on some level. If you want to teach, volunteer as a tutor or teaching assistant somewhere to see what it is really like or shadow a teacher at all levels to see what it is like, try informational interviews. That will answer your question faster then just obsessively thinking about it. Don't give up, pick something you actually like to do. Would you marry someone who you feel so so about?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Wow, I truly appreciate your view on the teaching profession. I'm not in to it too much. I did it for few years and I loved the ideal of it, sometimes even the practice.

May I tell you some of the lines I told those kids.
"Two hours with you pays my rent for the month. That's a reason to love this job."
"Do you think data science isn't useful? Hell, they got all the use. Now look at what you're doing, with no data science, or even basic data skills."
"You want to get that promition? What do you think that supervisor is spending their time on? It's data systems! That's how she's leading!"
"Eventually non-data jobs are gonna dissapear. Are you going to be with the dying breed or not?"

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Wow, I truly appreciate your view on the teaching profession. I'm not in to it too much. I did it for few years and I loved the ideal of it, sometimes even the practice.

May I tell you some of the lines I told those kids.
"Two hours with you pays my rent for the month. That's a reason to love this job."
"Do you think data science isn't useful? Hell, they got all the use. Now look at what you're doing, with no data science, or even basic data skills."
"You want to get that promition? What do you think that supervisor is spending their time on? It's data systems! That's how she's leading!"
"Eventually non-data jobs are gonna dissapear. Are you going to be with the dying breed or not?"

In the grim future of the 41st millennium... there is only data.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an english teacher and I have to say I never really thought I'd teach anything. It just sort of found me and even though I was worried about it at first, it's very interesting and in my opinion rewarding job.
You can work with people, discover their potential and help them develop their skills. It's always nice to see that because of you, someone has learnt something. You can watch people grow and become better and those who refuse to cooperate, just laugh with them, make it seem like fun, they'll grow into being more approachable.
It's one of those jobs where you can see real results reflected in people, it's meaningful and it's a long term process.
I think teaching is a good choice.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am an english teacher and I have to say I never really thought I'd teach anything. It just sort of found me and even though I was worried about it at first, it's very interesting and in my opinion rewarding job.
You can work with people, discover their potential and help them develop their skills. It's always nice to see that because of you, someone has learnt something. You can watch people grow and become better and those who refuse to cooperate, just laugh with them, make it seem like fun, they'll grow into being more approachable.
It's one of those jobs where you can see real results reflected in people, it's meaningful and it's a long term process.
I think teaching is a good choice.

Now that I've gotten more into this education degree (I decided to switch majors despite having to take on a little debt), I've found I like some aspects of teaching and loathe others. When I was sitting with my dying grandmother, a distant, young 2nd cousin of mine was showing me her story and while it was good, I saw so many ways it could be improved. I taught her so many writing techniques that night...or at least covered them and got her to practice them. I like that part when the kid actually wants to be there, and I like the feeling of being knowledgeable enough to pass something down. That said, all the organization and paperwork and classroom management and actually getting the attention of apathetic people is sickening. Overall, its a wash.