User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    974 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default Open Source and Working For Free?

It's been over a year now since I graduated from college with my Bachelor's in Computer Science - and the only job I had lasted less than 4 months (I was fired back in April after making one mistake too many during my usual Android phone app testing). Then towards the beginning of May, I was given an opportunity by the celebrity husband of a distant cousin of mine to come with my sister to India, where I could get some informal training for free in Java/.NET. Of course, that also didn't work out so well, with my parents bringing me back after realizing I would be bound by a contract if I decided to pursue the opportunity.

Now back here in the U.S., I'm still looking for work, still struggling to pay off my loans every month (at this point I'll have to contact my loan service provider to see if I can defer payment for some time), still considering the possibility of grad school (even though I graduated with a crappy GPA, which is why I'm currently studying for the GRE exam that I'll be taking in a few weeks), and still frustrated at not having enough experience that employers are looking for.

Does anyone know of any good open-source projects I can latch onto while continuing my job search? And/or is there a way I can work for free for a certain period of time, just until I gain enough experience to go for a paying job?
    “The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.” ~Ernest Hemingway

Johari: https://kevan.org/johari?name=~MS*ANGEL~
    Nohari: https://kevan.org/nohari?name=~MS*ANGEL~

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    "And then, raising my lids slowly and looking out from underneath my lashes, i captured him with my eyes"

MBTI
    eNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sorry to hear about those recent challenges.

I can't answer your specific question, but I work in the software field. I'm sure you'll be able to find something fairly quickly in the that field though, especially if you look at jobs in other cities too. One potentially rewarding strategy (it worked for me anyway ) is to only search for jobs in one or two areas which interest you or which you're passionate about. Employers really want to hire someone who really wants to work there rather than just earn a paycheck, so that works well for both sides.

Feel free to discuss your interests here or in a pm if you think it would be useful. I can try to brainstorm some options to try.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

If your GPA is 3.0 or higher (below that and nearly every program will reject you), grad school will be viable if you get very solid letters of recommendation, and did well in the courses which would be your focus of grad school work. Some undergrad research experience would help. GRE scores won't do much either way. I would not even mention your job on applications as it will only hurt you.

Fair warning though; grad school is quite difficult and is not an "exit" or "pause button" in the way people like to think it is. Further, if your heart isn't in it, you won't last long.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    It's been over a year now since I graduated from college with my Bachelor's in Computer Science - and the only job I had lasted less than 4 months (I was fired back in April after making one mistake too many during my usual Android phone app testing). Then towards the beginning of May, I was given an opportunity by the celebrity husband of a distant cousin of mine to come with my sister to India, where I could get some informal training for free in Java/.NET. Of course, that also didn't work out so well, with my parents bringing me back after realizing I would be bound by a contract if I decided to pursue the opportunity.

Now back here in the U.S., I'm still looking for work, still struggling to pay off my loans every month (at this point I'll have to contact my loan service provider to see if I can defer payment for some time), still considering the possibility of grad school (even though I graduated with a crappy GPA, which is why I'm currently studying for the GRE exam that I'll be taking in a few weeks), and still frustrated at not having enough experience that employers are looking for.

Does anyone know of any good open-source projects I can latch onto while continuing my job search? And/or is there a way I can work for free for a certain period of time, just until I gain enough experience to go for a paying job?
    I cannot help you. I'm sorry.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te

You are the best person to tell what is interesting for you. It's better if you find your interests for yourself instead of letting others to force something upon you.
    Health, Freedom, Fun.

"The only true power comes from within."
    "Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don't expect it from cheap people." - Warren Buffett
    "The truth will set you free - but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield
    "It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains." - Thomas Henry Huxley
    "Failure is success if we learn from it." - Malcolm Forbes
    "Everything you want is on the other side of fear." - Jack Canfield

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Hm, this may not be of much help, but maybe if you approach several employers and ask to shadow for a few months for free they would take you on. I'm going through a similar process (though in a completely different area of employment) and this advice was passed on to me my several people who are successful in the industry.

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

johari/nohari

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    974 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Freesia View Post
    Hm, this may not be of much help, but maybe if you approach several employers and ask to shadow for a few months for free they would take you on. I'm going through a similar process (though in a completely different area of employment) and this advice was passed on to me my several people who are successful in the industry.
    Thanks Freesia I'll be sure to think about that as an option.
    “The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.” ~Ernest Hemingway

"And then, raising my lids slowly and looking out from underneath my lashes, i captured him with my eyes"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    974 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Sorry to hear about those recent challenges.

I can't answer your specific question, but I work in the software field. I'm sure you'll be able to find something fairly quickly in the that field though, especially if you look at jobs in other cities too. One potentially rewarding strategy (it worked for me anyway ) is to only search for jobs in one or two areas which interest you or which you're passionate about. Employers really want to hire someone who really wants to work there rather than just earn a paycheck, so that works well for both sides.

Feel free to discuss your interests here or in a pm if you think it would be useful. I can try to brainstorm some options to try.
    Hmm - well, I honestly don't have much experience, but I'm considering starting off with software programming or mobile app development, and then moving on to cryptography (which I'm most interested in but have almost zero knowledge about).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    974 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    If your GPA is 3.0 or higher (below that and nearly every program will reject you), grad school will be viable if you get very solid letters of recommendation, and did well in the courses which would be your focus of grad school work. Some undergrad research experience would help. GRE scores won't do much either way. I would not even mention your job on applications as it will only hurt you.

Fair warning though; grad school is quite difficult and is not an "exit" or "pause button" in the way people like to think it is. Further, if your heart isn't in it, you won't last long.
    Yeah, I figured grad school would be a difficult path in my case I mean, I still have the GRE exam to prepare for and all, but if that doesn't help a whole lot, it's not the end of the world I guess. Thanks

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post

This. Another thing: depending on what you do graduate studies in, it might narrow employment options even further. Generally I don't recommend it as a path unless 1) you're absolutely sure about what you want to use the degree for, (i.e. you already know that it will lead to good job opportunities, not just something your mom's best friend's son's classmate did and got rich from) AND 2) you have a large proportion of tuition/expenses covered by scholarships. Otherwise you'll be stuck in more debt (that you're already struggling to pay off) and might have even fewer career prospects.

Personally I would not have done graduate school if I hadn't had a free ride for it. And post-graduation, it wasn't easy for me to find a job either but I didn't have the added pressure of student loans.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post