• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

May do engineering if possible at this point if possible

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As I said in another thread, I'm not too excited about engineering. That said, it makes more money than my current major that I am indifferent towards. Time off for further introspection will not aid my decision, since subjective critera are always mutable and ever changing, and thus not good for decision making. Thus, I will only base my life decisions on objective, externally verifiable evidence. The vectors I strive to maximize, based on my analysis of what leads to greater personal survivability and social prestige are ordered from greatest to least valuable: money, objectivity, truth, power, influence, stability, influence, self-reliance, solitude, cooperation, "ethics".

My reflection for 14 November 2015 is complete.

á´…eparted

passages
Based on what I and others have gauged about you on the forums, you will not make it in any engineering division. It will be a waste of your time and money.

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on your criteria, you'd probably enjoy law. Have you considered that as an alternative?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you work your way up, you might just become a great manager in engineering department.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on your criteria, you'd probably enjoy law. Have you considered that as an alternative?

Not until now.
Sure, it may take a while, but it earns more money and that is all that matters.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on what I and others have gauged about you on the forums, you will not make it in any engineering division. It will be a waste of your time and money.

Whatever. I just want a lot of money I can use to enjoy my time with. I really don't care how I get it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Whatever. I just want a lot of money I can use to enjoy my time with. I really don't care how I get it.

Perhaps you should consider drug kingpin?

As others have said, I don't think you have the personality for engineering.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good.

I think you should forget about jobs and use them only as a temporary income source while you are transitioning to something much better. Did you think about trying to get money with your own small business (like selling stuff...)?

As I said in another thread, I'm not too excited about engineering. That said, it makes more money than my current major that I am indifferent towards.
I'm an engineer but believe me: A "little bit" more money won't make a huge difference. You need at least an order of magnitude more money to make a difference. Still, if you choose to make money as an engineer then do it as a contractor to be able to negotiate better salaries and to be able to avoid most of the office politics.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good.

I think you should forget about jobs and use them only as a temporary income source while you are transitioning to something much better. Did you think about trying to get money with your own small business (like selling stuff...)?

I'm an engineer but believe me: A "little bit" more money won't make a huge difference. You need at least an order of magnitude more money to make a difference. Still, if you choose to make money as an engineer then do it as a contractor to be able to negotiate better salaries and to be able to avoid most of the office politics.

Yes, I actually thought about buying a little snowcone trailer and getting back in the snowcone biz. I at least have some experience working under my mother for a summer and I know it brings in about 12,500 per summer per stand in untaxed income. I may branch out from there. My mother had 2 stands and was making 25,000, but part of that was the location.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I actually thought about buying a little snowcone trailer and getting back in the snowcone biz. I at least have some experience working under my mother for a summer and I know it brings in about 12,500 per summer per stand in untaxed income. I may branch out from there. My mother had 2 stands and was making 25,000, but part of that was the location.
Even if you made only the bare minimum money to survive first, you can always optimize the shit out of your own business and you can reduce the time you invest and increase your income, the limit is the sky. This is not true about a job.

Remember: learning something new requires making a lot of mistakes. An expert is someone who made a lot of mistakes in a given field so don't give up your plans when you face some difficulties. If you try to be your own boss then your problems are at least solvable ones and you have control. If you decided to be a "slave" then the implied problems (feeling like shit in the morning) persist forever.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even if you made only the bare minimum money to survive first, you can always optimize the shit out of your own business and you can reduce the time you invest and increase your income, the limit is the sky. This is not true about a job.

Remember: learning something new requires making a lot of mistakes. An expert is someone who made a lot of mistakes in a given field so don't give up your plans when you face some difficulties. If you try to be your own boss then your problems are at least solvable ones and you have control. If you decided to be a "slave" then the implied problems (feeling like shit in the morning) persist forever.
This is inspirational enough that I may go back to snocones, except as an owner this time. My pharmacy technician job isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Since there is no hard labor and already make more than my peers. I'd give it a B minus, but I apsire for better things.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my opinion the most important thing isn't becoming a billionaire but freeing up time (although the 2 are not exclusive). After freeing up at least some of your time you can spend more of your life with what you REALLY like (living instead of executing others' instructions, etc...) and with finding out how to generate even more time/money for yourself. It just isn't worth selling your time/life for crappy wages (even if we talk about a salary considered to be very good). You never get back the time you sell for a crappy wage. What do you think, how much money does a day from your twenties or thirties worth? It must be invaluable from your perspective and you should handle it accordingly.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't get the outcry.

People pick up majors that don't appeal to them at all solely because there's money (or an actual living) involved. It's a thing that happens. There's a degree of practicality that's required in real life.

Shit, I did that. I went into engineering. It halfway intrigued me, but it wasn't my interest area. I would've chosen psych, given unlimited money and time. But I got my engineering degrees and slowly bent my trajectory toward working in psychology instead. Now, my work combines my background with my actual interests. Not a bad gig.

Look, there's no reason to not talk to an engineering faculty/advisor. It's an hour or so of your and his/her time.

Just try to find anything at all that you'd find interesting in the field. Any minute piece. At all. And keep your motives on the down-low. You'll want to discuss whether or not you have what it takes to at least start out in the field. And you'll want an honest conversation about that, because you don't want to waste years of time.

But you also won't want to make brash decisions based upon how you're feeling right now. Desiring and valuing "objectivity" in your work is itself a feeling.

So, have a conversation. You're not getting married to the field yet. If you're already indifferent toward your current major, why the hell not?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't get the outcry.

People pick up majors that don't appeal to them at all solely because there's money (or an actual living) involved. It's a thing that happens. There's a degree of practicality that's required in real life.

Shit, I did that. I went into engineering. It halfway intrigued me, but it wasn't my interest area. I would've chosen psych, given unlimited money and time. But I got my engineering degrees and slowly bent my trajectory toward working in psychology instead. Now, my work combines my background with my actual interests. Not a bad gig.

Look, there's no reason to not talk to an engineering faculty/advisor. It's an hour or so of your and his/her time.

Just try to find anything at all that you'd find interesting in the field. Any minute piece. At all. And keep your motives on the down-low. You'll want to discuss whether or not you have what it takes to at least start out in the field. And you'll want an honest conversation about that, because you don't want to waste years of time.

But you also won't want to make brash decisions based upon how you're feeling right now. Desiring and valuing "objectivity" in your work is itself a feeling.

So, have a conversation. You're not getting married to the field yet. If you're already indifferent toward your current major, why the hell not?

I'm suffering from a depression that makes everything look unappealing. All I know is, everybody seems to be getting a sociology degree and it only pays a little better than what I do now. Engineering pays a lot more and a math teacher told me once I would do good at it. In the absence of an ability to feel passionate or drawn to anything, money is the next best criteria.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm suffering from a depression that makes everything look unappealing. All I know is, everybody seems to be getting a sociology degree and it only pays a little better than what I do now. Engineering pays a lot more and a math teacher told me once I would do good at it. In the absence of an ability to feel passionate or drawn to anything, money is the next best criteria.

You don't think it may be a good idea to get some help for the depression, that you recognize is causing everything to look unappealing, before you jump into a field you aren't in a state of mind to make a decision about?

I await your reply filled with oodles of hows and whys you are unable to seek any help.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You don't think it may be a good idea to get some help for the depression, that you recognize is causing everything to look unappealing, before you jump into a field you aren't in a state of mind to make a decision about?

I await your reply filled with oodles of hows and whys you are unable to seek any help.
C'mon. There are things such as "not clicking on threads" and "using the ignore function." If someone frustrates you that much, you may want to consider those.
That was exactly me in undergrad, too. I didn't seek help until after I graduated.

Don't let that happen to you. For the love of Jesus, don't let that happen. Experiences shape who we are and so on and so forth, and I wouldn't go back and change things, or whatever, but fuck missing out on things unnecessarily.

And, hey. Being good at math may actually make engineering at least somewhat appealing. I don't touch engineering much at all anymore, but the analytical mindset still shows up in my work.