User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    8,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    How is that?
    You know why.

    You don't need anymore attention than you have already received.

  2. #12
    mercenary SiegfriedSchtauffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Whatever. I just want a lot of money I can use to enjoy my time with. I really don't care how I get it.
    Good.

    I think you should forget about jobs and use them only as a temporary income source while you are transitioning to something much better. Did you think about trying to get money with your own small business (like selling stuff...)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    As I said in another thread, I'm not too excited about engineering. That said, it makes more money than my current major that I am indifferent towards.
    I'm an engineer but believe me: A "little bit" more money won't make a huge difference. You need at least an order of magnitude more money to make a difference. Still, if you choose to make money as an engineer then do it as a contractor to be able to negotiate better salaries and to be able to avoid most of the office politics.
    Health, Freedom, Fun.

    "The only true power comes from within."
    "Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don't expect it from cheap people." - Warren Buffett
    "The truth will set you free - but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield
    "It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains." - Thomas Henry Huxley
    "Failure is success if we learn from it." - Malcolm Forbes
    "Everything you want is on the other side of fear." - Jack Canfield
    Likes Avocado liked this post

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegfriedSchtauffen View Post
    Good.

    I think you should forget about jobs and use them only as a temporary income source while you are transitioning to something much better. Did you think about trying to get money with your own small business (like selling stuff...)?


    I'm an engineer but believe me: A "little bit" more money won't make a huge difference. You need at least an order of magnitude more money to make a difference. Still, if you choose to make money as an engineer then do it as a contractor to be able to negotiate better salaries and to be able to avoid most of the office politics.
    Yes, I actually thought about buying a little snowcone trailer and getting back in the snowcone biz. I at least have some experience working under my mother for a summer and I know it brings in about 12,500 per summer per stand in untaxed income. I may branch out from there. My mother had 2 stands and was making 25,000, but part of that was the location.

  4. #14
    mercenary SiegfriedSchtauffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Yes, I actually thought about buying a little snowcone trailer and getting back in the snowcone biz. I at least have some experience working under my mother for a summer and I know it brings in about 12,500 per summer per stand in untaxed income. I may branch out from there. My mother had 2 stands and was making 25,000, but part of that was the location.
    Even if you made only the bare minimum money to survive first, you can always optimize the shit out of your own business and you can reduce the time you invest and increase your income, the limit is the sky. This is not true about a job.

    Remember: learning something new requires making a lot of mistakes. An expert is someone who made a lot of mistakes in a given field so don't give up your plans when you face some difficulties. If you try to be your own boss then your problems are at least solvable ones and you have control. If you decided to be a "slave" then the implied problems (feeling like shit in the morning) persist forever.
    Health, Freedom, Fun.

    "The only true power comes from within."
    "Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don't expect it from cheap people." - Warren Buffett
    "The truth will set you free - but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield
    "It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains." - Thomas Henry Huxley
    "Failure is success if we learn from it." - Malcolm Forbes
    "Everything you want is on the other side of fear." - Jack Canfield

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegfriedSchtauffen View Post
    Even if you made only the bare minimum money to survive first, you can always optimize the shit out of your own business and you can reduce the time you invest and increase your income, the limit is the sky. This is not true about a job.

    Remember: learning something new requires making a lot of mistakes. An expert is someone who made a lot of mistakes in a given field so don't give up your plans when you face some difficulties. If you try to be your own boss then your problems are at least solvable ones and you have control. If you decided to be a "slave" then the implied problems (feeling like shit in the morning) persist forever.
    This is inspirational enough that I may go back to snocones, except as an owner this time. My pharmacy technician job isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Since there is no hard labor and already make more than my peers. I'd give it a B minus, but I apsire for better things.
    Likes SiegfriedSchtauffen liked this post

  6. #16
    mercenary SiegfriedSchtauffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te
    Posts
    187

    Default

    In my opinion the most important thing isn't becoming a billionaire but freeing up time (although the 2 are not exclusive). After freeing up at least some of your time you can spend more of your life with what you REALLY like (living instead of executing others' instructions, etc...) and with finding out how to generate even more time/money for yourself. It just isn't worth selling your time/life for crappy wages (even if we talk about a salary considered to be very good). You never get back the time you sell for a crappy wage. What do you think, how much money does a day from your twenties or thirties worth? It must be invaluable from your perspective and you should handle it accordingly.
    Health, Freedom, Fun.

    "The only true power comes from within."
    "Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don't expect it from cheap people." - Warren Buffett
    "The truth will set you free - but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield
    "It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains." - Thomas Henry Huxley
    "Failure is success if we learn from it." - Malcolm Forbes
    "Everything you want is on the other side of fear." - Jack Canfield
    Likes Avocado liked this post

  7. #17
    cute lil war dog Bush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    I don't get the outcry.

    People pick up majors that don't appeal to them at all solely because there's money (or an actual living) involved. It's a thing that happens. There's a degree of practicality that's required in real life.

    Shit, I did that. I went into engineering. It halfway intrigued me, but it wasn't my interest area. I would've chosen psych, given unlimited money and time. But I got my engineering degrees and slowly bent my trajectory toward working in psychology instead. Now, my work combines my background with my actual interests. Not a bad gig.


    Look, there's no reason to not talk to an engineering faculty/advisor. It's an hour or so of your and his/her time.

    Just try to find anything at all that you'd find interesting in the field. Any minute piece. At all. And keep your motives on the down-low. You'll want to discuss whether or not you have what it takes to at least start out in the field. And you'll want an honest conversation about that, because you don't want to waste years of time.

    But you also won't want to make brash decisions based upon how you're feeling right now. Desiring and valuing "objectivity" in your work is itself a feeling.

    So, have a conversation. You're not getting married to the field yet. If you're already indifferent toward your current major, why the hell not?
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes /DG/, magpie liked this post

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    I don't get the outcry.

    People pick up majors that don't appeal to them at all solely because there's money (or an actual living) involved. It's a thing that happens. There's a degree of practicality that's required in real life.

    Shit, I did that. I went into engineering. It halfway intrigued me, but it wasn't my interest area. I would've chosen psych, given unlimited money and time. But I got my engineering degrees and slowly bent my trajectory toward working in psychology instead. Now, my work combines my background with my actual interests. Not a bad gig.


    Look, there's no reason to not talk to an engineering faculty/advisor. It's an hour or so of your and his/her time.

    Just try to find anything at all that you'd find interesting in the field. Any minute piece. At all. And keep your motives on the down-low. You'll want to discuss whether or not you have what it takes to at least start out in the field. And you'll want an honest conversation about that, because you don't want to waste years of time.

    But you also won't want to make brash decisions based upon how you're feeling right now. Desiring and valuing "objectivity" in your work is itself a feeling.

    So, have a conversation. You're not getting married to the field yet. If you're already indifferent toward your current major, why the hell not?
    I'm suffering from a depression that makes everything look unappealing. All I know is, everybody seems to be getting a sociology degree and it only pays a little better than what I do now. Engineering pays a lot more and a math teacher told me once I would do good at it. In the absence of an ability to feel passionate or drawn to anything, money is the next best criteria.

  9. #19
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I'm suffering from a depression that makes everything look unappealing. All I know is, everybody seems to be getting a sociology degree and it only pays a little better than what I do now. Engineering pays a lot more and a math teacher told me once I would do good at it. In the absence of an ability to feel passionate or drawn to anything, money is the next best criteria.
    You don't think it may be a good idea to get some help for the depression, that you recognize is causing everything to look unappealing, before you jump into a field you aren't in a state of mind to make a decision about?

    I await your reply filled with oodles of hows and whys you are unable to seek any help.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hard, cascadeco liked this post

  10. #20
    cute lil war dog Bush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    You don't think it may be a good idea to get some help for the depression, that you recognize is causing everything to look unappealing, before you jump into a field you aren't in a state of mind to make a decision about?

    I await your reply filled with oodles of hows and whys you are unable to seek any help.
    C'mon. There are things such as "not clicking on threads" and "using the ignore function." If someone frustrates you that much, you may want to consider those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I'm suffering from a depression that makes everything look unappealing. All I know is, everybody seems to be getting a sociology degree and it only pays a little better than what I do now. Engineering pays a lot more and a math teacher told me once I would do good at it. In the absence of an ability to feel passionate or drawn to anything, money is the next best criteria.
    That was exactly me in undergrad, too. I didn't seek help until after I graduated.

    Don't let that happen to you. For the love of Jesus, don't let that happen. Experiences shape who we are and so on and so forth, and I wouldn't go back and change things, or whatever, but fuck missing out on things unnecessarily.

    And, hey. Being good at math may actually make engineering at least somewhat appealing. I don't touch engineering much at all anymore, but the analytical mindset still shows up in my work.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Similar Threads

  1. Which MBTIs may do this?
    By Typoz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
  2. If God exists, he must be laughing his ass off at this.
    By xisnotx in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
  3. At what point do you stop trying to grow and just accept your type?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO