User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: INFPs in STEM?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    What interests you the most in regard to database management and web design?

If you do go through database management find a good database developer. Management will teach you alot about how it works, but a good dB developer will give you insight on how to work with the db. A combination of the knowledge would create one of the best and most functional database administrators.

I have worked with alot of dba's and the knowledge of management tends to cause them to be close minded to actual needs of the developers who design and develop on the database.
    database managers on average make more money, but i feel like it be too constraining, and i look design way way more. i'm happiest creating things from scratch. but i don't have a lot of experience in databases but it seems web design would allow for more creativity and more open ended options even though i'd be making half the money. and I do enjoy making web pages. I'm not sure i could be as happy in DBA as I could web design.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    database managers on average make more money, but i feel like it be too constraining, and i look design way way more. i'm happiest creating things from scratch. but i don't have a lot of experience in databases but it seems web design would allow for more creativity and more open ended options even though i'd be making half the money. and I do enjoy making web pages. I'm not sure i could be as happy in DBA as I could web design.
    From what I have looked into database management at the entry level is mostly maintenance of the database, the tedious work. The deeper knowledge is not yet acquired to do much else. Databases these days are crazy complicated and growing at a fast rate. Once a dba becomes good they tend to enter into a more consulting, tweaking, and troubleshooting job. None of it really deals with design or creating much of anything.

I have taken classes on db management and was about to get my oracle dba associates certificate just for the hell of it. Work paid for it so we coud expand improve our development of db with a better knowledge of how it works. Never ever took test though to become a certified associate. Not to overly stereo type, but I would say infp would be much happier in a field that allows and promotes creativity like web design. There is a side of infp that could handle dba, but that taps into a different side of them that can either be a calming if things go good or create havoc if problems arise. It's a more touchy side and things need to be more run like an STJ would run it. Hard to explain that side and not sure if I did it any justice. That side is very vague right now in my head.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    N/A
    Enneagram
    N/A

I had a further thought this morning to share: I've done a lot of things in my life because I have the intellectual capacity to do them. That does not equal the passion to do them. Try to sort out early what you want to do, rather than what you can do.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

From what I have looked into database management at the entry level is mostly maintenance of the database, the tedious work. The deeper knowledge is not yet acquired to do much else. Databases these days are crazy complicated and growing at a fast rate. Once a dba becomes good they tend to enter into a more consulting, tweaking, and troubleshooting job. None of it really deals with design or creating much of anything.

I have taken classes on db management and was about to get my oracle dba associates certificate just for the hell of it. Work paid for it so we coud expand improve our development of db with a better knowledge of how it works. Never ever took test though to become a certified associate. Not to overly stereo type, but I would say infp would be much happier in a field that allows and promotes creativity like web design. There is a side of infp that could handle dba, but that taps into a different side of them that can either be a calming if things go good or create havoc if problems arise. It's a more touchy side and things need to be more run like an ISTJ would run it. Hard to explain that side and not sure if I did it any justice. That side is very vague right now in my head.
    yeah that was my thoughts. i'm leaning more towards web design but i still want to at least take the first course in dba. it wouldn't hurt i do know some really basic sql but i understand they're moving away from sql
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    STP

yeah that was my thoughts. i'm leaning more towards web design but i still want to at least take the first course in dba. it wouldn't hurt i do know some really basic sql but i understand they're moving away from sql
    Depends on who you talk to about sql. I work for a company that is in the top 50 list of the fortune 500 and we still heavily use sql. While we do get away from it to a degree, due to the complicated nature of what we need to do I would say 75-80% of retrieving back data is self written sql. The rest is different persistence frameworks we use that handles it all for us.

We even have some Web services that are nothing but database procedures/functions with a basic java interface that calls it. All work is done on database side comletely. That's in other groups, not my group.

Getting your feet wet is a good idea. If you need any help with db portion let me know. I suck at web design, mostly ideas is what kills me for that. Other fields I have no issues with ideas.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Welcome. Seductive avatar haha.
    Likes SpecialSnowflake liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Depends on who you talk to about sql. I work for a company that is in the top 50 list of the fortune 500 and we still heavily use sql. While we do get away from it to a degree, due to the complicated nature of what we need to do I would say 75-80% of retrieving back data is self written sql. The rest is different persistence frameworks we use that handles it all for us.

We even have some Web services that are nothing but database procedures/functions with a basic java interface that calls it. All work is done on database side comletely. That's in other groups, not my group.

Getting your feet wet is a good idea. If you need any help with db portion let me know. I suck at web design, mostly ideas is what kills me for that. Other fields I have no issues with ideas.
    thanks. yeah i do better with the javascript part than i do with the html and css i'm not bad at html or css but for somereason my brain can grasp syntax of programming languages faster than english. i know some c and some c++ and python and i know javascript is suppose to be one of the easier ones. but we have to put notes in our assignments and i'm usually like it's obvious if you read the code. so i just date it say end of function for the end or loop or switch statement. but i'm still in lower level classes so i'm sure as i move up documenting will become more important. i was getting c's and d's on my assignments but once we started doing javascript i've been getting a's and b's. css is actually my weakest area in that class.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    STP

Money does play a role. Here in texas 50-60k allows you to live comfortable. Anything less and you start to struggle financially, anymore starts to become play money. I would shoot for something that allows you to atleast live comfortably.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    yupp

Money does play a role. Here in texas 50-60k allows you to live comfortable. Anything less and you start to struggle financially, anymore starts to become play money. I would shoot for something that allows you to atleast live comfortably.
    my life style now is most of my money goes towards rent and bills roughly 800 more or less depending. than i usually have 500 to live off for the month and i usually have around 150 left over because i don't buy a lot of things and spend about 35-40 on food a week average and very rarely eat out. plus my i see my mom once a month i either go to her house or she comes here either way she always send me back with food or brings food. she brought home made chili last time i've about finished it. oh and some frozen french onion soup.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    STP

my life style now is most of my money goes towards rent and bills roughly 800 more or less depending. than i usually have 500 to live off for the month and i usually have around 150 left over because i don't buy a lot of things and spend about 35-40 on food a week average and very rarely eat out. plus my i see my mom once a month i either go to her house or she comes here either way she always send me back with food or brings food. she brought home made chili last time i've about finished it. oh and some frozen french onion soup.
    As long as you are including retirement, savings, upkeep for things like cars, furniture, electronics etc. All those things add up and quickly even if you stay fairly frugal.
    Im out, its been fun