• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UI/UX design

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Are there jobs in this field of work in the states? I've completed a year of college in this field and I'm curious.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know there is plenty of work currently. I live in the Silicon Valley area and we're very hungry for experienced UI/UX designers. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that translates to designers that are straight out of school. I imagine there's a career path that involves interning and such. Most of who I've worked with personally got started as visual designers and slowly worked their way into UX, because it's only recently that it's been a thing that is taught.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I know there is plenty of work currently. I live in the Silicon Valley area and we're very hungry for experienced UI/UX designers. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that translates to designers that are straight out of school. I imagine there's a career path that involves interning and such. Most of who I've worked with personally got started as visual designers and slowly worked their way into UX, because it's only recently that it's been a thing that is taught.

What type of work do you do?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I live in a tech-heavy area and work in the business, though not with UI/UX. From what I see, there is a lot of demand. You are very lucky to have these particular skills at this particular time.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I live in a tech-heavy area and work in the business, though not with UI/UX. From what I see, there is a lot of demand. You are very lucky to have these particular skills at this particular time.

Well i'm only in my first year but I really want a job in this field, I hear that getting a diploma in design could be a dead end.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A large part of my research has involved HFE, so I use UX/UI principles a lot. Ergonomics is larger than many folks realize.

I'd also take some general Human Factors courses, which will give you tangible/real-world ergonomics. You'll be more flexible and marketable, and many of the same principles apply.

For UI/UX specifically, team up with a software/engineering group -- one that actually gives a shit about design, or at least recognizes that people who aren't engineers have something to contribute. Those are all over the place.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had to look up UX as even though I am directly in the development field I have never heard this field. The company I work for have placed our business analysts in the UX field. As an application developers we work directly with them. Their job is to analyze a piece of functionality and find the best way to implement it during the requirements phase. They work directly with 2 people who over see the entire flow of the application and have the final say.

What will make you really a step above the rest is to not design the UX for what you alone think. Always interact with users working with it. I have seen some UX fields design something based on looks and concept alone to only have to redesign it because it's functionally crap in the field. Qa was taught the functionality so it seemed good to them, but actual use I the real world changed things. It became over complicated and had so much extra crap that is not used. The best design is always the simplest yet still does the job completely.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Shouldn't you be working with a UI/UX designer?

In the field it really depends on the budget and the person as to if a UI/UX designer is needed. I have always handled my UX design until I worked at my current company. I would work very closely with my clients and used an agile methodology with weekly meetings to test and play with the UX so it's simple and functional in the real world. My current job I don't have time to do all that, so we have business analysts that handle the UX.