• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you ever accept bribe at work?

Would you ever accept bribe at work?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Depends on the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the specifics of the case

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

iHeartCats

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
no
Let's say you work an office job and a client subtly offers you bribe to do something that won't harm anyone but is either illegal or unethical, e.g. their case cutting the line to the front when it would normally have to wait much longer, or giving them vague but essential info on how their case is progressing, which you are not allowed to do.

In this specific case, you know with 100% certainty that no one knows about the client offering you bribe, you know that you won't be caught and reported, and even if you were, you did it in such a way that no one would be able to prove you anything. You're not pressured into accepting the bribe, the decision is entirely yours.

Would you accept the bribe and do what the client asks of you?

If you think that bribes are wrong, are there any circumstances whatsoever in which you would accept bribe without being pressured into it?

93JC

Nope, I don't do business that way. Probably wouldn't want to retain that client after that.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Personally, I would be way too uncomfortable to accept it and would probably avoid having to talk to that client much after that. If I gave special treatment to one person, I'd have to give it to everyone, and then it would be a mess.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny because it's so easy to say no when you're outside of a situation.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's funny because it's so easy to say no when you're outside of a situation.

Exactly why I wasn't sure if I wanted to reply or not.
But I can be very stubborn when I think I'm getting pressured into something.
And even though in the op it says "you're sure you won't get caught", I'd still be scared of getting caught lol

iHeartCats

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
no
Exactly why I wasn't sure if I wanted to reply or not.
But I can be very stubborn when I think I'm getting pressured into something.
And even though in the op it says "you're sure you won't get caught", I'd still be scared of getting caught lol

I edited the OP to avoid misinterpretation.

You're not being pressured into it, it's just being offered to you, and it's up to you to decide.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
No, because I am a person of integrity. :D I don't like doing things that is against my own conscience.

Tomb1

Yes.

I didn't include this part, though:

In this specific case, you know with 100% certainty that no one knows about the client offering you bribe, you know that you won't be caught and reported....

I want some possibility of being caught. No risk, no reward.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In this specific case, you know with 100% certainty that no one knows about the client offering you bribe, you know that you won't be caught and reported, and even if you were, you did it in such a way that no one would be able to prove you anything. You're not pressured into accepting the bribe, the decision is entirely yours.

No, because nothing is promising me that the briber wont keep thier mouth shut. Easily can be thrown under the bus by them. Nothing is telling me to trust the briber enough to take the bribe.

Too much rick not enough reward.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've actually turned down tips a couple times , because it felt like a bribe...lol...im rude as hell about it. I don't care.

I loathe that kind of disgusting pressure.

I dont *do* things with strings attached. Fucking ew, God dammit.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And have them expect special treatment in the future? Sounds a little annoying.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you think that bribes are wrong, are there any circumstances whatsoever in which you would accept bribe without being pressured into it?
I think there are circumstances where it is more ethical to break the rules, but I wouldn't do it for money if that were the case. If it were correcting an injustice, I'd hope to just do it. The motivation from the money is the icky part - although I fully understand what it's like to not have enough money. When I was a teenager and worked in the registrar office at my school, kids offered me bribes to delete their tardy records, but I'd just laugh like it was a joke. I wouldn't want to get involved with most of the types of people who would offer the bribe. I'd expect them to be future trouble for me if I got involved. I'd assume that I'd pay a price equal to the bribe at some point - karma I suppose.

Edit: I agree with [MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION]. It feels like there's a future price to pay somehow.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd have money, but they'd have all the leverage. They could keep making me do their bidding lest they expose me taking their bribes.

Accepting would mean I willingly put myself in a vulnerable position hurtful to both my integrity and potentially my career. Hell no.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

There are several reasons I wouldn't. Most of them aren't particularly noble.

I'd feel like the bribe would come back to haunt me. Even knowing no one would find out isn't enough because I'd feel like people knew what I'd done. The guilt would get to me.

I can get rule-bound. Whether it's the rules of a workplace, integrity of a profession, laws of a country, or the principle of the thing, I can get a little rigid. Being bribed would also seem like the person implied that I was of low character, which would piss me off.

Another reason is that an attempt to sway me can have the opposite result. If I feel that someone is trying to flatter, charm, or buy me, I'm disinclined to do what they want. I may even try to undermine them, although it's more likely that I'll distance myself, acting aloof and waiting for the interaction to be over.

Since my answer is no, my brain can't help but seek out special circumstances. Whatever the answer is, I want to find the exceptions.

I'm thinking one situation where I might take a bribe is if I didn't like the person—or I was feeling spectacularly douchey—and the person tries to bribe me into doing something I had to do anyway. Like if someone bribed me to put their case next in the queue and they were already next, they just didn't know it. I might think, "Hah! Loser. I'll take your money." It's way more likely I'd tell them they were already next and not take their money. Still, there's probably a situation where I'd do that.

I might also do it if I'm technically doing what they want while also sabotaging them. Like if someone paid me to tell a lie, I might tell the lie then add at the end that I was paid to tell that lie. LOL.

Because I tend to avoid conflict, these options are unrealistic. But, hey, it's possible.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm assuming, probably rightly, that in this hypothetical we would never get caught or exposed.

To the extent that harm to others is only (very) indirect, I would.

So.. in a Robin Hood-esque situation, yes. In those situations, I might even do it for free. I might even do it for kicks. But I don't think I could accept a bribe along the lines of "Let me kill these three people and you'll get money."

Though, there are at least a few times where I've gotten fucked along by not cheating with "the rest of the class," so to speak. Cheating isn't virtuous, but it's still on the table regardless.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Parking valets take tips to have a car placed closer for easy access. Bouncers get tips for club access. Almost everyone at some golf clubs expect tips. Sky caps expect tips for doing their jobs....

Are they all taking bribes?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Parking valets take tips to have a car placed closer for easy access. Bouncers get tips for club access. Almost everyone at some golf clubs expect tips. Sky caps expect tips for doing their jobs....

Are they all taking bribes?

No. Tips are after you've provided good service. Bribes are usually before any service has been performed. Which gives an added bonus that you're going to try your hardest to make some exception for that one person...aka with strings attached.

Though, there are at least a few times where I've gotten fucked along by not cheating with "the rest of the class," so to speak. Cheating isn't virtuous, but it's still on the table regardless.

I hate that...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My reputation is worth way more. No way I would ever accept a bribe.